Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 07:24 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walmart does about $300 billion/year in sales in the USA. Their $50 billion "buy American" plan is over 10 years - so only $5 billion/year - or less than 2% of sales. There isn't much US industry left that can supply Walmart.
This has to be good for America, especially if other companies follow their example and commit to similar goal of buying American.

"Only" $5 billion/year is more than anyone has vowed to do, so let's not say "only". It's a great start and W-M is getting the ball rolling. Let others sit up and take notice. If the big corporations each did $5 billion a year, don't you think that would spur the US economy to produce the goods?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 AM

392 posts, read 351,982 times
Walmart sells second rate junk. It is not about lefties or the right...it is about our disloyal corporations that have sold out their nation of origin for cheap labor and bad product. Walmart and the people in China are shifty when it comes to hiding the origin of products. A pair of bad slippers will have the bold tag..."Made for Canadians since 1946"...then in tiny letters it will say made in China....or here in Toronto I will see a Canadian flag on Walmart product.....and in small letters instead of made in Canada it will deceptively say - made FOR Canada...giving the quick impression that you are buying something made in North America....It is better to spend 150 dollars on a real pair of shoes made here than buying a pair of plastic shoes for 20 bucks made in China.....Walmart does not save you money...it gives you the illusion that you are saving money.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
ME ME ME ME ME. Some people are so selfish. It's all about them. The individual is all that matters.

Walmart pays its employees such a low wage that they are forced to also go on public assistance. Who pays for that public assistance? We all do. If Walmart would just pay its workers a decent wage then we wouldn't have this problem.
Then they raise prices.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Probably from China because Americans won't pay someone a decent wage to make what they want.

I would much rather everything be made here and I would be more than willing to live with much less.

I would rather have one TV that cost $5000 in my house made by Americans making a union wage than 5 for $500.00 each made by slaves in the 3rd world.

Too bad that reality doesn't exist because Americans are the most selfish people in the world.
Then do so and quit your whining about Wal Mart on here.

Go to this site and but at your hearts content.
Made in the USA Products Directory

You sound like a typical liberal. Always wanting tell others what to do. You don't like Wal Mart, then don't go there.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Walmart sells second rate junk. It is not about lefties or the right...it is about our disloyal corporations that have sold out their nation of origin for cheap labor and bad product. Walmart and the people in China are shifty when it comes to hiding the origin of products. A pair of bad slippers will have the bold tag..."Made for Canadians since 1946"...then in tiny letters it will say made in China....or here in Toronto I will see a Canadian flag on Walmart product.....and in small letters instead of made in Canada it will deceptively say - made FOR Canada...giving the quick impression that you are buying something made in North America....It is better to spend 150 dollars on a real pair of shoes made here than buying a pair of plastic shoes for 20 bucks made in China.....Walmart does not save you money...it gives you the illusion that you are saving money.
Too bad for Canada, but we don't have that problem in the USA.

Every single imported item is clearly marked with the country of origin, as packaged for the ultimate consumer as a matter of law. Nobody down here is dumb enough to be fooled, but perhaps if you are confused by the labels you could ask a minimum wage Walmartian to read them to you.

It appears that you are wrong, and Walmart is right, based upon the number of customers who prefer to save $130.00 on each pair of shoes. Enjoy your overpriced $150.00 shoes with the smugness that only overpaying can purchase, eh.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Too bad for Canada, but we don't have that problem in the USA.

Every single imported item is clearly marked with the country of origin, as packaged for the ultimate consumer as a matter of law. Nobody down here is dumb enough to be fooled, but perhaps if you are confused by the labels you could ask a minimum wage Walmartian to read them to you.

It appears that you are wrong, and Walmart is right, based upon the number of customers who prefer to save $130.00 on each pair of shoes. Enjoy your overpriced $150.00 shoes with the smugness that only overpaying can purchase, eh.
I don't know about the $150 pair of shoes, but I bought a good name in shoes (they were sandals) that cost somewhere around $45 if I recall correctly, and they fell apart after some 10 times of wearing. It appears what looked like stitching along the sides was really molded leather look-alike plastic glued to the sole. Clarke's they were, too. I still have them, since I can't decide whether it's worth contacting the company.
By the way, they didn't come from W-M. I still have a couple pairs I bought at W-M two years ago. I'm learning that you can be lured into buying poor quality at a premium price just by trusting the brand.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I don't know about the $150 pair of shoes, but I bought a good name in shoes (they were sandals) that cost somewhere around $45 if I recall correctly, and they fell apart after some 10 times of wearing. It appears what looked like stitching along the sides was really molded leather look-alike plastic glued to the sole. Clarke's they were, too. I still have them, since I can't decide whether it's worth contacting the company.
By the way, they didn't come from W-M. I still have a couple pairs I bought at W-M two years ago. I'm learning that you can be lured into buying poor quality at a premium price just by trusting the brand.
Too bad you didn't buy them at Walmart, you could get an exchange or a refund (but you might have to stand in line).

Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Too bad you didn't buy them at Walmart, you could get an exchange or a refund (but you might have to stand in line).
W-M sells Clarke's ?? Where have you been with this information, and why were you keeping it to yourself?

I've never seen a pair of shoes in that price range at W-M.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Walmart sells second rate junk.
Thats funny, but every time I shop at Walmart I see the same national brands and products found at other stores at usually a higher price. Do I need to get a new pair of glasses?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
why do left-wingers think WalMart is bad for our nation?

I do not know why you think left-wingers think Walmart is bad. I shop there and everyone I know shops there once in a while. I know a lot of liberals and have never ever heard one of them make a comment about Walmart. The only time I remember anyone saying anything is when Walmart was collecting money from customers to help their needy employees, as this was pretty much like them saying--we don't pay our employees enough to live on, so could you help out?

I tried to find out how this broad statement about left-wingers originated and googled it, but only came up with a bunch of extreme rightwing websites making the statement you made. Have you any non-biased resources to explain why you think this?
Tell that to the previous posters on the first page of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies