Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont remember seeing anyone defend target or their practices.

Also, that 9.73 number more than likely includes supervisors .
Well, there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You may not have noticed all the privately owned businesses that closed their doors thanks to Walmart. That is a good place for you to start looking, and you will learn all kinds of things. But you are like most people, only concerned with the immediate impact and how it benefits you shopping there right now.

I don't spend my money there, they are rich enough, I prefer other chains like Target and Kmart.
Actually, the Walmart attracted businesses to Lafayette CO. It (WM) opened long after downtown had dried up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The millions of mom and pop type shops across the country gave more power to local communities and small business.
That was the argument against Sears, too.

Of Course WalMart Destroys Retail Jobs: That's The Darn Point Of It All - Forbes
** Yes, Mom and Pop stores do go out of business when WalMart arrives. Just as they did a century and a half ago as the Sears Roebuck catalogue started hitting the farms. And yes, when the dust has settled there are now fewer people working in retail than there were before WalMart (or Sears Roebuck).**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Wal-Mart also extorts tax subsidies from towns and cities desperate for jobs, and puts independent retailers out of business. This last is extremely important, because starting small businesses has long been an important path of upward mobility in this country.

In the short term, shopping at Wal-Mart may save you some money. But in the long term, the more the Wal-Mart model spreads the less prosperous we will all get.
My town recently sold its soul to Alfalfa's, a local grocery store that wants to build a second store. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Many businesses get subsidies to locate in certain places. . . . Here's a link: Louisville extends $1 million in incentives to Alfalfa's to locate at vacant Safeway site - Boulder Daily Camera
**Alfalfa's, which would locate a 22,000-square-foot store near the site of a long-abandoned Safeway at 707 E. South Boulder Road, would receive a full rebate of the sales tax revenues it generates in the first three years of operation -- capped at $800,000. The natural grocer would also get a 50 percent rebate of the use taxes and permit fees paid to the city.

Talk about selling your soul to the devil!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Walmart sells second rate junk. It is not about lefties or the right...it is about our disloyal corporations that have sold out their nation of origin for cheap labor and bad product. Walmart and the people in China are shifty when it comes to hiding the origin of products. A pair of bad slippers will have the bold tag..."Made for Canadians since 1946"...then in tiny letters it will say made in China....or here in Toronto I will see a Canadian flag on Walmart product.....and in small letters instead of made in Canada it will deceptively say - made FOR Canada...giving the quick impression that you are buying something made in North America....It is better to spend 150 dollars on a real pair of shoes made here than buying a pair of plastic shoes for 20 bucks made in China.....Walmart does not save you money...it gives you the illusion that you are saving money.
Oh yes, obviously, since 120 million people per week are too stupid to know how to spend their own money on items they want or need in order to make their lives better. Too bad they do not have a direct line to your superior wisdom.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
Why do rightwingers not understand that when you outsource 100% of all your production, you eventually lose control over product customization, quality of consumer goods, and product innovation. You then depend on foreigners instead of American jobs and this causes a trade deficit.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Why do rightwingers not understand that when you outsource 100% of all your production, you eventually lose control over product customization, quality of consumer goods, and product innovation. You then depend on foreigners instead of American jobs and this causes a trade deficit.
Oh yes, this can happen because people typically buy the crappiest products they can find, without regard to the value they obtain per dollar spent. NOT.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesIrae View Post
It's good for you while it's bad for the economy. There is a huge difference between individual and national perspectives.
Thank God, in a Free Market economy, the indidvidual wins. Now that kills you folks who want "all power to the state".

Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesIrae View Post
It's good for you while it's bad for the economy. There is a huge difference between individual and national perspectives.
No, it's good for the economy. The worse off individuals are, the worse off the economy is.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I can buy all my basic needs at 1 store for cheap. That means I have more money to spend or save. Thus, WalMart has increased my prosperity. Explain why this is bad.
Walmart is a sympton, not the cause of problems in America.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
I love Walmart I go there probably 2wice a week. They are reasonably priced have most of what I need whether its food or household products and they are 5-10 min away

What is the beef?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
ME ME ME ME ME. Some people are so selfish. It's all about them. The individual is all that matters.

Walmart pays its employees such a low wage that they are forced to also go on public assistance. Who pays for that public assistance? We all do. If Walmart would just pay its workers a decent wage then we wouldn't have this problem.
This whole thread is so elementary its like listing to a bunch of 4th graders.I find it hard to understand why all these right wing nuts are trying to support Wall Mart business practices when they are subsidizing the largest retail chain in the world, right out of their own pockets. What a nice business plan for Wall Mart , get rich , very very rich on the backs of the very people that buy all the junk that made in China with child labor......what are they thinking....? its behond me that so many people are so blind and stupid.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This has to be good for America, especially if other companies follow their example and commit to similar goal of buying American.

"Only" $5 billion/year is more than anyone has vowed to do, so let's not say "only". It's a great start and W-M is getting the ball rolling. Let others sit up and take notice. If the big corporations each did $5 billion a year, don't you think that would spur the US economy to produce the goods?
And just why all of a sudden now ? We have been fighting this off shoring of jobs for many years now and Wall Mart has been at the front of the problem. They know it , now you need to know it . Give us the answers and get back to us on it. Use your head and not your spoon fed politics thats been driven by the corporate greed of the worlds largest Retailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies