Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I recall driving through a number of medium U.S. cities in IL, KY, TN, MN etc and Walmart had destroyed the local mom and pop stores.

Same with Home Depot/Loews+ Walgreens,CVS + Big supermarket chains, etc.
I live in a small township in SJ. We have a Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Home Depot, Lowes and some other large retailers including super markets.

We have two "mom and pop" hardware stores, many, many small markets, small independent restaurants galore, two small computer repair shops, a nice independent appliance store (right between the Home Depot and Lowes) and many other "mom and pop" businesses.

Lefties fail to realize that large "Anchor Stores" actually improve business locally.

But you need to have a good business plan.....regardless of competition.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I have some experience with Walmart, since I was a retail rep in some of them. They are, as a whole, not managed well, and their employees come and go like a revolving door. The back rooms in Walmart are very disorganized and it is very hard to find an employee to be responsible for anything (with a few exceptions).

Now that I don't have to go there anymore, I will probably never set foot in one. Walmart's customers are only a segment of society. They are folks who want to shop for everything in one place, and who care nothing about customer service. They are OK with having to try out 3 carts before they get one that's not bent, and they are OK with having nobody to help them with their groceries or answer a question about a product. I want more, so I don't shop there.

I don't want to pay more for things, I generally don't have to, in order to get the service and quality I want.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
- Poor quality
- Mistreat employees

Not a model for American companies to follow
That's why a business with that mentality would not stay in business, let alone grow.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Please tell me what what company pays their cashiers enough to keep a single parent with two children off of food stamps? Do you think a single mom of with two dependent children working as a cashier at Target or your local mom and pop store would earn enough money to not need food stamps?

If you need more money to support your family, learn a skill that demands a higher wage. Don't blame Walmart.

Yes, and when I grocery shop it is about ME!
From what I hear, Costco pays enough for a single parent to work 40 hours, buy a mansion and two yachts and send their children to private schools.

algoe, fatty moore and ralphie madcow are starting a business that will pay $200,000 a year to unskilled, illiterate people....because they care!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have some experience with Walmart, since I was a retail rep in some of them. They are, as a whole, not managed well, and their employees come and go like a revolving door. The back rooms in Walmart are very disorganized and it is very hard to find an employee to be responsible for anything (with a few exceptions).

Now that I don't have to go there anymore, I will probably never set foot in one. Walmart's customers are only a segment of society. They are folks who want to shop for everything in one place, and who care nothing about customer service. They are OK with having to try out 3 carts before they get one that's not bent, and they are OK with having nobody to help them with their groceries or answer a question about a product. I want more, so I don't shop there.

I don't want to pay more for things, I generally don't have to, in order to get the service and quality I want.
Sometimes I find it annoying when overly-courteous employees at other stores, ask me if I need help finding something, or if i want help carrying my groceries to my car. I grocery shop every week, I think I've got this shopping thing, down pat.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree. If I want quality electronics, I buy Sony or Toshiba. The ICs in my computer are made in Japan, China, Taiwan and Malaysia, and assembled in Mexico. If I want a quality chainsaw, I buy Stihl. Toyota, Honda, and Subaru make better vehicles than Ford, Chevy, or Government Motors. The list goes on. When it comes to manufacturing these days the US truly sucks, and we have unions to thank for that.
WE need to be careful and not blame the Unions for everything, cause it is not so as such.Big Business is as much to blame, When the United Auto Workers became powerful in numbers it was WITH the help of the big three. They are all in bed together. When wage increases became unpopular ,the Unions signed on to increased health care benefits/retirement packages / until Detroit could no longer compete in the world marketplace.What happened was Management fell victim to the same lazy practices instead of standing up to the wasted productivity of its workers. It was easier to look the other way when on monday morning 50 per cent of the workforce did not show up for work. The business model used by the big three and the unions was broken, no one tried to fix it, the Government would look the other way also when serving as mediator in labor disputes. It too is a long list of what went wrong, some things have changed for the better, some not. There is nothing wrong with Unions, Europe auto makers work close at hand with the unions, everyone working together to build pride in the workplace, to build better products with improved relationships all around. Apprenticeships are alive and well over there just as they have been for hundreds of years , they are all Union , and meet the goal of turning out shilled workers who make a good living, have lots of time off and are happy with their jobs..... The US model is a mess , today we have a real shortage of skilled blue collar workers and an excess of collage grads that can't find work, saddled with student loans they will never pay of and are overqualified for any job in the service industry. They have no training or skills, who would want to hire them , not me ! I would think twice when considering an applicant who is burdened with a huge debt load , not good workers with that hanging over their heads it would seem to me, plus the starting wage is not enough for these kids to live on and still pay off the loads. Business is not going to pay therm more just because of the debt they carry !

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
and they are OK with having nobody to help them with their groceries or answer a question about a product. I want more, so I don't shop there.
A can of beans is a can of beans.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
- Poor quality
- Mistreat employees

I would have thought Walmart to be the benchmark of successful American capitalist companies, start from basically nothing and through whatever means necessary rise to to the top of the worlds retail chains.
An American success story IMO

Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 PM

182 posts, read 195,225 times
[quote=jambo101;33693512]
Quote:

I would have thought Walmart to be the benchmark of successful American capitalist companies, start from basically nothing and through whatever means necessary rise to to the top of the worlds retail chains.
An American success story IMO
Sure

CEO wins, and everyone else loses. They failed in Germany for a reason.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
From what I hear, Costco pays enough for a single parent to work 40 hours, buy a mansion and two yachts and send their children to private schools.

algoe, fatty moore and ralphie madcow are starting a business that will pay $200,000 a year to unskilled, illiterate people....because they care!
Yes. If I even need to hire a PR firm, I'm hiring Costco's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies