Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

260 posts, read 605,558 times

Advertisements

I can buy all my basic needs at 1 store for cheap. That means I have more money to spend or save. Thus, WalMart has increased my prosperity. Explain why this is bad.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Same here. I buy a pair of knock around tennis shoes for my son at just a little more than my mom spent on the same shoes for me in 1970

Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
The left things only the government should be able to help the poor. No company, with the possible exception of Monsanto, has done more for the poor than Wal-Mart. They do more for the poor than any government program without creating a cycle of dependency.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
And now, with their campaign to concentrate on buying American made goods, everyone will benefit more -- including some of the people who continue to bash WM just because their favorite liberal news station fuels the fire.

Supposedly, one of the reasons WM is "bad" for the country because it won't unionize. Fancy that! What makes consumers believe that unionization brings them better products/quality at a more affordable price?

I like the savings I get at WM, plus I like to also support the smaller businesses as well - local hardware stores, no-chain pharmacies, bookstores, etc.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I can buy all my basic needs at 1 store for cheap. That means I have more money to spend or save. Thus, WalMart has increased my prosperity. Explain why this is bad.
Because the left doesn't understand economics. Wal Mart is a blessing to so many in this nation. It allows poor people to buy fresh produce for cheap (this is the biggest reason im a supporter.) They pay some of their employees barely above minimum wage so I think that's where the anti-WalMart sentiment comes from

Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Wal Mart probably needs to just get a transgender CEO to get liberals to like them.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
WM insures 51% of employees; Target 40%, retail 40%.

I guess they think insuring above the industry average is a bad thing. (sar)

The left have become pawns for the SEIU, who simply wants dues. These are low skill jobs, and a union will not get them more than low skill level pay. But they would collect dues.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You also forgot..

Since food stamps and welfare spending by the federal government stimulate, (ask those very same left wing kooks to explain that one)

Wal Mart is actually helping the economy by paying their employers low wages to allow them to collect federal benefits so it can be spent..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
And think of all of the gas you save by only needing to go to one place, rather than 10 to get your stuff..

you're helping the environment..

Lefties must hate the environment and want you to use more gas, buying it from foreign terrorist nations..

bunch of hypocrites..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Walmart is bad because the business model it presents is both brutal and economically unsustainable, and because the spread of that model throughout the economy can eventually have disastrous effects.

WalMart is able to deliver those low prices by paying miserable wages and offering few, if any, benefits. The more companies emulate Wal-Mart, the poorer Americans will get. People with little money can't buy very much, which ultimately slows economic growth.

Wall-Mart's massive market share also enables it to strong-arm suppliers into delivering goods at wholesale prices that are too low to be sustainable. Even producing goods in China costs something. Wal-Mart's unrelenting pressure to cut prices makes it harder and harder for its suppliers to make money.

Wal-Mart also extorts tax subsidies from towns and cities desperate for jobs, and puts independent retailers out of business. This last is extremely important, because starting small businesses has long been an important path of upward mobility in this country.

In the short term, shopping at Wal-Mart may save you some money. But in the long term, the more the Wal-Mart model spreads the less prosperous we will all get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies