Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Too educational?
No, too easy to use artful editing to get your view across despite what was really said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Its an air superiority fighter.

Nothing else.
Exactly. I did not bring the F35 into this the other guy did. I spoke regarding mission. We have no need for the A-10. No more Fulda Gap or other arrayed massed armor threats to destroy.

Naval power and air supremacy aviation is needed for the next few threats.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-25-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The only thing I can think of is to have the technological lead over any potential adversaries with the best that the US can build. Whatever the cost.
Whatever the profit. Was the B-1 ever used even once? It was hopelessly obsolete before it came off the drawing board, but it made the right people a lot of money. That's what it's all about.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Warthog pilots were Gods in Desert Storm. I will never forget watching them strafe Highway 1 in Iraq ahead of my unit while serving with the 24th Infantry Division.
They're creepy and quiet too, used to really hate when the OPFOR brought them in on us.
Much repect for that aircraft, but the last tour I did in Iraq, at the start of the war and lasting 15 months, the A10 wasn't a huge factor. Maybe was later, I don't know.
Apaches were pushed forward, gave great support, the only downfall is these birds obviously can't take hits like an A10. However, that is being addressed.
What'll happen is the Warthog will be retired, the libs will cheer about $$$ saved. And in about 6 months DoD will quietly let slip a new $6 Billion contract with whoever to build us a newer, faster, stronger, much much needed aircraft.
And our elected/appionted politicians will have a little stock in that company, or maybe a few soon-to-be-retired miltary officers will have jobs lined up to be on the board of directors for that contractor.
Its all a game, folks. Seen it and done it.
The stories I could tell you about a company formerly known as FMC, the Bradley Fighting Vevicle, and a guy named Haig.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM

878 posts, read 737,715 times
Watch the A-10 take out the Taliban hiding in the trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrhoYnpgm-g

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Warthog pilots were Gods in Desert Storm. I will never forget watching them strafe Highway 1 in Iraq ahead of my unit while serving with the 24th Infantry Division.
They're creepy and quiet too, used to really hate when the OPFOR brought them in on us.
Much repect for that aircraft, but the last tour I did in Iraq, at the start of the war and lasting 15 months, the A10 wasn't a huge factor. Maybe was later, I don't know.
Apaches were pushed forward, gave great support, the only downfall is these birds obviously can't take hits like an A10. However, that is being addressed.
What'll happen is the Warthog will be retired, the libs will cheer about $$$ saved. And in about 6 months DoD will quietly let slip a new $6 Billion contract with whoever to build us a newer, faster, stronger, much much needed aircraft.
And our elected/appionted politicians will have a little stock in that company, or maybe a few soon-to-be-retired miltary officers will have jobs lined up to be on the board of directors for that contractor.
Its all a game, folks. Seen it and done it.
The stories I could tell you about a company formerly known as FMC, the Bradley Fighting Vevicle, and a guy named Haig.
Correct. Just like that.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM

3,952 posts, read 5,091,305 times
The politicians here in North Carolina will never allow for the decrease in defense spending as they're all bought and paid for by the Military Industrial Complex. In fact, my U.S. Rep. George Holding views ACA as the biggest threat to our country and literally refused to discuss anything else at a recent telephone townhall meeting. I tried to chime in with talk of reining in the NSA but that didn't fit the Congressman's agenda so I was quickly shot down. At this point I've lost all faith in the Republican Party to be fiscally responsible and I won't be voting for Rep. Holding.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Boy I have heard it all ...no need for dogfighting skills or cannon we have missles after that was said then came Vietnam...A-10's are tank killers not fighter jets the pilots are well protected but the Democrats never have supported our brave men & women their families financially.As Obama strengthens his crony government forces he is reducing our true protectors of the Constitution. Remember his statement Obama wants a national police force just as strong as the army to carry out his vision for Amerika comrades.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Boy I have heard it all ...no need for dogfighting skills or cannon we have missles after that was said then came Vietnam....
Right, and no need for block busting bombs because WW2 was over, so we had to try to knock out bridges with anti-personnel bombs. They wanted to get the B-36s out of mothballs because they had a bigger payload and time over target than the 52s, but there were no round engine mechanics left to work on them. We outsmart ourselves all the time. How effective were the cutting edge F-111s compared to the Skyraiders? We never learn.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Right, and no need for block busting bombs because WW2 was over, so we had to try to knock out bridges with anti-personnel bombs. They wanted to get the B-36s out of mothballs because they had a bigger payload and time over target than the 52s, but there were no round engine mechanics left to work on them. We outsmart ourselves all the time. How effective were the cutting edge F-111s compared to the Skyraiders? We never learn.
The A-10's are still a better bang for the buck you would be happy if our men,women went into battle with sticks & stones? My son is in the military they ain't exactly happy campers right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies