Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're just letting your partisanship trump logic and commonsense.

Romney might have been successful in business, and he is smart as a whip, but he's forgotten the very basic lesson of diplomacy - to be tactful - particularly if you're visiting someone else's country. It's even more important if you're trying to impress someone in a country that's supposed to be an ally and you want to be president, and don't want to get off the wrong foot.

Well, Mitt did an epic FAIL and came off as a graceless, arrogant Yank to the British.

It's a stretch to call the London Games "failed". The only failure is Romney's attempt to get elected.
Obama came off as a graceless, arrogant Yank to the British when he returned he Churchill bust, gave the Queen an iPod filled with his own speeches and a bunch of videos that weren't even playable. This is small ball stuff. An honest answer about the problems with the Olympics, or an inexperienced President not knowing the proper types of gifts to give to other leaders is not going to matter in the grand scheme of things. I think saying that the British breathed a sigh of relief when Romney lost because he offended some people about the Olympics is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, this is a poll asking Americans what they think world leaders think? How would the average American, who knows more about American Idol than they do about American foreign policy, come up with a valid answer? Most Americans couldn't name three world leaders.
Ming the Merciless
Harcourt Fenton Mudd
The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Tah dah!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
But then, let's be fair... Romney didn't lose that race on his own, he had Palin to help him. Most intelligent people realized that that person (yes, I'm a feminist) was dangerously stupid anywhere near a ATM., even think of a nuclear bomb.
Palin had absolutely nothing to do with Mitt Romney, so not sure how intelligent you are.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
But then, let's be fair... Romney didn't lose that race on his own, he had Palin to help him. Most intelligent people realized that that person (yes, I'm a feminist) was dangerously stupid anywhere near a ATM., even think of a nuclear bomb.
As I said, Romney had nothing to do with Sarah Palin. It was John McCain who had her as his running mate. What I cannot understand is why a woman who was a governor of a state, who had a lot of executive experience in government, was considered dangerously stupid, but Joe Biden is A-Okay. A plagiarizer with a long senate career, but he still comes off as the drunk uncle who embarrasses everyone at your graduation party. The guy's an imbecile, and somehow he's okay near a nuclear bomb?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
As I said, Romney had nothing to do with Sarah Palin. It was John McCain who had her as his running mate. What I cannot understand is why a woman who was a governor of a state, who had a lot of executive experience in government, was considered dangerously stupid, but Joe Biden is A-Okay. A plagiarizer with a long senate career, but he still comes off as the drunk uncle who embarrasses everyone at your graduation party. The guy's an imbecile, and somehow he's okay near a nuclear bomb?
Again, it's the double standard of the Left.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Most Americans?

"Most Americans" believed that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11.

"Most Americans" believe in religious superstition.

Worrying about what "most Americans" think is a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I would take it with a grain of salt. 25% of Americans think the sun revolves around the Earth.

Both of these.

IMO most Americans aren't very bright.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Obama came off as a graceless, arrogant Yank to the British when he returned he Churchill bust, gave the Queen an iPod filled with his own speeches and a bunch of videos that weren't even playable. This is small ball stuff. An honest answer about the problems with the Olympics, or an inexperienced President not knowing the proper types of gifts to give to other leaders is not going to matter in the grand scheme of things. I think saying that the British breathed a sigh of relief when Romney lost because he offended some people about the Olympics is ridiculous.
Oh please. Your comments are Much Ado About Nothing.

The Churchill bust issue was a feeble attempt by folks like Krauthammer to make a big deal, which fizzed. There are two busts, one on loan to Bush that was scheduled to be returned (decision made before Obama came in), and the other that still sits in the White House (and was shown to Cameron on his visit).

Is the Churchill Bust Controversy a Total Bust? - ABC News

The Queen ASKED for the iPOD.

I think that the British prefer Obama rather than Romney.

Does world want Romney or Obama? – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Look, all Romney had to do was to do a meet and greet with some world leaders in 2012. They do that as a courtesy for the US, he didn't need to say or do anything big. Basically don't screw up. And he didn't do that...not just with the Brits. Perhaps you're right in that it didn't matter all that much in the great scheme of things, at least from the standpoint of US electoral politics, given the insularity of Americans. But the topic is whether world leaders respect Obama or not - and that's telling.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Woman here BTW...

Quote:
Sarah was seen as stupid initially because she couldn't name any newspapers she had read and said she had experience dealing with foreign countries because she could see Russia from her back yard lol. She was more of a clown than Biden is, though I don't think he is all that bright most of the time either. But he is much better than her in regards to public persona.

As a woman, I was and still am kind of embarrassed that Sarah Palin is the main woman that the GOP (and I'm and independent, not even republican) paraded about as representative of conservative women. Most conservative women I know are very bright and basically have their stuff together and know how to respond to questions without acting silly.

Also, Sarah Palin is a media *****. You haven't seen Biden on his blog openly attack any president and he has a long history in our government where he had a reputation of being able to work with the opposition party and get along with people. Sarah Palin does not, she is a "pitt bull" as she characterized herself and was more of a clown. She had very bad PR, that is why people see her as stupid.

I don't think Biden is "A-Okay" but he is miles above Palin in regards to at least maintaining more of an air of seriousness over her.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Woman here BTW...

Sarah was seen as stupid initially because she couldn't name any newspapers she had read and said she had experience dealing with foreign countries because she could see Russia from her back yard lol. She was more of a clown than Biden is, though I don't think he is all that bright most of the time either. But he is much better than her in regards to public persona.

As a woman, I was and still am kind of embarrassed that Sarah Palin is the main woman that the GOP (and I'm and independent, not even republican) paraded about as representative of conservative women. Most conservative women I know are very bright and basically have their stuff together and know how to respond to questions without acting silly.

Also, Sarah Palin is a media *****. You haven't seen Biden on his blog openly attack any president and he has a long history in our government where he had a reputation of being able to work with the opposition party and get along with people. Sarah Palin does not, she is a "pitt bull" as she characterized herself and was more of a clown. She had very bad PR, that is why people see her as stupid.

I don't think Biden is "A-Okay" but he is miles above Palin in regards to at least maintaining more of an air of seriousness over her.
I wouldn't want either one as our president, not for one minute. Sarah Palin wasn't that bad during the campaign. I felt like she was offended by the newspaper question, which is why she didn't answer it very well. And she never said she could see Russia from her house, that was Tina Fey. I feel like after her treatment, Palin turned into someone I didn't like at all. She's snarky, which I think is unbecoming of someone in her position. I don't think she will ever run for anything again.

Joe Biden is every bit as bad as Palin, plus he reminds me of someone's drunk uncle who will try to feel up his daughter's friends at a party. He's just smarmy. Imagine him sitting across from Putin. Who would take him seriously? The guy's such a joke that the president doesn't even want his own vice president to take the reigns when he's term-limited out of there.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What 'best opportunity'?

It might have been a very good opportunity were it not for a republican house and the multitude of slanderous accusations about him personally. Let's see, what was the latest one? Oh, yeah, 'Obama is a sub-human mongrel'. (Yes, Virginia, you ARE judged by the company you keep, just like mama always said.)

I mean, stating "our goal is to make Obama a one-term president" isn't exactly the 'best opportunity', now, is it? What does that say about the character of the republican party that they would rather cripple the country than give an inch (and for nothing, in the long run)?
Yes, best opportunity. Funny how you liberals conveniently forget Obama and his sycophants had control of BOTH the House and Senate for 2 years, and completely wasted that golden opportunity. Maybe if candidate Obama hadn't turned out to be a complete sham and liar things would have been different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies