Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times

Advertisements

I got no issues with VW workers rejecting a union, I think if you are a fair employer and can be trusted then the benefits of making UAW membership mandatory are indeed worthy of serious scrutiny and debate. Many American corporations don't care about their employees and would just as soon fire them and hire someone for less pay than they would reward them for hard work and devotion.

As a long term union employee, I've seen both the benefits, and the detriment of a union. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks, to be sure, but I respect those who wish to opt out of a union, as the VW workers did by a very slim margin (60 votes out of over 1300 cast).

What I have always had a problem with is those Republicans who are in a union position, keep their benefits and their job safe by their union membership, are rewarded with increased job security by their years of service, have little or no transferable skills for the wages they are making, and listen to Rush Limbaugh while voting for a political party that would strip them of their wages, their benefits and their job security if given the chance. If there was any doubt then one only look towards Wisconsin or Chattanooga Tn. for further proof.

And both examples only scratch the surface of what is really going on behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Who are all these republicans you speak of who are sucking the teet of the union? And if they are whey are you still in a union? Do you have no skills that are transferable? Do you listen to the fat man too much? Nobody is trying to strip anything from anybody.......just trying to strip the union dues to give it back to YOU. Your union looks at you as a useful idiot..............that is all.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
If politicians can betray their own purported principles and ***** themselves out to the highest bidder, why can't normal people? I'm going to e-pat Joe the Plumber on the back. He acted in his own best interest and took a well paying union job. Proof that he isn't that much of an idiot after all!! Joe, we want to smash the organization that has enabled you to earn a descent living, but keep on voting for us!!!

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-25-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course they join the union, they suck up union benefits while voting for those who wish to eliminate them. That is actually quite typical of Republicans, many members of the Tea Party wail and scream for benefits while shrieking that government be shrunk and spending be curtailed.

It's the power of the Dumbing Down of America on display.
I am against almost every tax deduction I take advantage of. It is the legally correct thing to do. I think it is morally wrong for the government to distort the economics of buying a home or having children. But I will use these deductions since the law says I can.

There is nothing wrong with acting in your self interests. But as said already - many jobs require union membership. I see nothing wrong with a union member, forced to be one, believing his or her future would be better if they weren't forced to be in the union.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
When you want a certain job....and you have NO CHOICE but to join a Union, what then?????

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
If they work somewhere where it's mandatory, then yes.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
A Republican that is a member of union = RINO. Let's not be shy about calling a spade a spade!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I see nothing wrong with a union member, forced to be one, believing his or her future would be better if they weren't forced to be in the union.
And if they truly believed such a thing, they would find another job elsewhere. It's that simple.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am against almost every tax deduction I take advantage of. It is the legally correct thing to do. I think it is morally wrong for the government to distort the economics of buying a home or having children. But I will use these deductions since the law says I can.

There is nothing wrong with acting in your self interests. But as said already - many jobs require union membership. I see nothing wrong with a union member, forced to be one, believing his or her future would be better if they weren't forced to be in the union.
Forced to be one............you see nothing wrong with that? How so?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Just curious. I'd also include libertarians in this question. If they do join what's their experience like?
There's no such thing as "join" union. It's by force only in State employment. Only way unions can get members I guess. "Join" is not in union vocab any longer.

What was my experience? When I asked questions about it, I was ridiculed and belittled -> just send DUES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies