Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How many car parts are made of a single piece of the same substance?

I agree that many parts that are typically molded or extruded could be built using 3D printers. But many, many parts will not be 3D printable for a long time. The parts are complex - meaning multiple parts including electrical parts. You can't 3D print a motor.
And many 3D printers are starting to use multiple materials. But you do have an excellent point, which is why I said earlier some parts will be you ordering the unprintable peice.

I was thinking of this the other day, with the same thought you have here, and realized...theres dozens of materials in a modern car. Not to mention electronics, etc.

Thing is, if you can print glass and metal....you've got 85% of the car.

You CAN 3d print the motor to a very large degree. The spark plugs are the biggest challenge.

I can see a LOT of people having fun printing their own cars, and assembling them with parts kits for things that arent easily printable.

And eventually printers printing in enough varied materials to be able to print a car from the ground up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
All the unemployed millenials need to find a niche in this industry rather than whining and begging for free sh*t from the employed.
ha

this technology has the potential to reduce the demand for labor so fast it will make your head spin

you'll be dead and gone, but if science keeps progressing, there will eventually be a day when political and economic models built upon the idea of scarcity will no longer function.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you'll be dead and gone, but if science keeps progressing, there will eventually be a day when political and economic models built upon the idea of scarcity will no longer function.
Yep. Techno-libertarians dream of a world where they don't have to deal with people unlike themselves -- by physically segregating themselves on a boat, or on Mars, or in the Cloud. But what they usually fail to realize is that a world with no need for production or labor, and thus no need for people to perform that labor, will also be a world where the personal accumulation of vast amounts of wealth will be pointless, because there won't be anything to buy -- the machines will just make it all.

Which means the techno-libertarians will be just like everyone else.

And that's something they will never accept. It's just human nature. We are a competitive species.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
a world with no need for production or labor, and thus no need for people to perform that labor, will also be a world where the personal accumulation of vast amounts of wealth will be pointless, because there won't be anything to buy -- the machines will just make it all.
i agree with most of what you say here. especially the part about humans being a competitive species, and being unwilling to let that go.

i think even when a zero-scarcity economic model becomes possible, you'll continue to have widespread scarcity among the poor/weak/lazy/unfortunate/etc ... just as a consequence of human behavior. Those who have the ability to produce will just horde.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
i think even when a zero-scarcity economic model becomes possible, you'll continue to have widespread scarcity among the poor/weak/lazy/unfortunate/etc ...
Not to mention those whose jobs are now being performed by machines, i.e. the vast majority of humanity, if the more fervent predictions come true.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
We are entering the "age of abundance" and the economy will go thru a paradigm shift. Not for the next generation but ours. Now this will cause some growing pains during the change but in my opinion will be worth it.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Computers will be billions of times more intelligent then all the humans on the planet by 2045 no matter how you measure it. That is guaranteed due to More's law and the law of accelerating returns.

I see the entire economy changing in the next 30 years. Star Trek style replicators are going to be a major reason and computers and robots becoming billions of times more intelligent is another. I mean this is not new today's economy is different then it was before the industrial reevaluation its just the rate of change is happening faster then ever before. I keep looking at this from every possible angle and I just don't see how humans can begin to compete in the future unless we merge with computers and that will start to happen in a big way by 2030 when 1 computer the size of a blood cell will have thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's and we will have millions if not billions in us.
You appear to be defining intelligence largely by calculation ability. There are so called non-augmented humans with amazing abilities. NM the debate over how little of our brain we actually use or how much data is filtered and how it is processed. You can look at Quantum or DNA computing and see that tech is excellent for some things and not so much for others, atm, anyway. "Merging with computers" is a subjective term.

Organic natural technology is still technology. Many so-called sophisticated inventions have been based on mother nature. One could say false teeth or hip replacements were a merger. Will there be various adaptations of technology? Sure. Nothing new. However, your subjective terms appear to be leaving out information and painting a particular inevitable picture. The idea that anybody needs to compete is again based on a particular paradigm.

The changes will continue exponentially, periodically they make leaps and bounds, as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We are entering the "age of abundance" and the economy will go thru a paradigm shift. Not for the next generation but ours. Now this will cause some growing pains during the change but in my opinion will be worth it.
You can easily manufacture or produce something, but that doesn't mean it will get in people's hands. In fact, innovation is dolled out to maximize profit. The current central control corporate hierarchy is the deciding factor there. Many great inventions end up shelved or classified. We know there are about 6000, of those. The entire planetary model is based on commerce. Technology is not the deciding factor for "abundance".

Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which would be great if we were executing those that were fired. The other side of it is I agree with you on not punishing automation.

That being said...what do we do as unemployment grows? We cant just let these folks starve and die....well....we COULD, but I suspect they would fight back. But what is the solution?
When one becomes a controlling authority, one dis-empowers.

Open source and the internet are common very successful models that are not about hierarchy or control (central control is the epitome here). Their strengths are in lack of that. They allow for a huge amt of individuals to contribute. This makes light work, creates redundancy, diversity, efficiency and quick robust changes. Not to mention amazing creativity. The end product benefits a much larger group of people, as well.

People need things. Money has been used to get those things, but it is the necessities they need. We have what approximately, 40% of the world without clean drinking water and proper sanitation, iirc? That can be fixed, however, it requires changes.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
ha

this technology has the potential to reduce the demand for labor so fast it will make your head spin

And just think.....the left has a religion that will be used to rationalize getting rid of the useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies