Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,476,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I
Yes, every little white child should know that blacks owned slaves. It will certainly prove to be beneficial to their career.

r.

If they knew that they wouldn't try to undermine discussions by suggesting that it isn't a known fact that blacks owned slaves and that Africans enslaved people and sold them to Europeans.

These are known facts that those who wish to suggest that this isn't the case, nor that it isn't spoken about just distract from the fact.

Indeed there has been pressure for Africans to apologize for their role in slavery too. Some have done so, and others have refused to.

But the reality is that the main goal of those who engage in these types of discussions really is to stifle any discussion of contemporary racism and the fact that the USA is not yet a color blind society, despite the claims of some. Yet the same people suddenly change their tune when we talk about Trayvon Martin, a "scary" black boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,758,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course you don't.

Leave ours alone though....until everyone else's goes away first.

Then we'll talk.
I'll kick it around the park as long as I want. You going to stop me???

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Again with the friggin white guilt. YOU have to be ignorant to believe your own nonsense that in this day and age white people suffer from white guilt.

I have Irish blood and I can tell you, I know the stories, but we Irish, along with every other ethnic group that has a history, don't need history to define who we are. We didn't move forward using the "victim card" and if we do define ourselves it is with pride for rising above it all and moving on.

I said people with white guilt. Clearly you MUST have it if you think that I am referring to you.

Why your interest in this topic though if BHM doesn't interest you? You have certainly made many posts for some one who finds it a snore.

I am very aware of Irish history, ethnic identity and mobilization, and the obsession with oppression at the hands of the English, but that's a different topic. Suffice to say that there are many who will claim that the Irish have been quite adept at waving a victim flag.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:

You have a right to do it if you so wish, but is it a good use of your time if you have no interest in black history, and no sympathy for those who endured it?

I mean you aren't going to find me making so many posts on an Irish forum if the debate is over the role of the English in creating the Potato Famine (yes I know about that).

Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No it doesn't because every time this topic comes up several yelp "what about White History Month", or "White Entertainment TV" are some other silliness like that. This in denial of the fact that the bulk of what we are taught in school or see in the media focuses on whites, which is why non whites demand some special focus on them.
Demand all you want for special focus. You see it's the "demand" thing that gets people. Most people don't respond well to demands, at least I don't. Tends to put me off and resist. But go ahead and demand whatever you want, it doesn'tmean that people are going to respond to your demands. I might point out that it was a black poster on this thread that brought up "White History Month".

White people do have entertainment TV. They have Honey-boo-boo.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
No...not interested. Why would I wanna frustrate efforts that come to nothing? No...on the contrary..I'm enjoying it.

Know why? Because BHM is here to stay.

And you've just gotta live with it.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Demand all you want for special focus. You see it's the "demand" thing that gets people. Most people don't respond well to demands, at least I don't. Tends to put me off and resist. But go ahead and demand whatever you want, it doesn'tmean that people are going to respond to your demands. I might point out that it was a black poster on this thread that brought up "White History Month".

White people do have entertainment TV. They have Honey-boo-boo.
Being put off and resistant isn't gonna end BHM.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,456,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
You do realize that a lot of this doesn't get covered in many schools? Hence, Black History month is to try to focus on remedying that.

When you have schools in Texas trying to rewrite history books to say slavery didn't exist, I think we have problems.
That's a lie. I could copy pages out of my daughter's history book that focus on slavery. Don't believe everything you hear. No one in Texas is trying to gloss over slavery.

I do think they should keep black history month. I get emails of the announcements at my daughter's junior high, and every day in February they have a bio on someone who is still alive that's doing great things. They have astronaughts, inventors, business people, government officials, etc. I did notice that they never mentioned Ben Carson though, which is sad because his story is so impressive - mom with third grade education raisedtwo boys by herself, and one is a famous neurosurgeon, the other is an astrophysisist. I can't even spell it, but I'm very impressed.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Of course you do. You see you are a white female and in your world whites are the norm. Their "whiteness" isn't noticed. Its the way things are.

Yet when some one raises this you rush to defend the status quo, because this is what you are doing whether you admit or not.

There is a white guy (Tanner Colby) who wrote a whole book on these attitudes called "Some of my Best Friends are Black". All about nice white folks who think that they see the world in a colorblind way, when what they really see is a world blind of color.
LOL. You have absolutely no idea what and who is in my "world". You know as much about my "world" as you know what I think, which is nothing.

Stop thinking and assuming you know so much about me when you know little or nothing. Who or what is the "status quo" that I am defending? Would that be those horrible white people?

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-27-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,456,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
We can retire Black History Month the day Polish-Americans agree to retire Polish History Month (October), the day Irish-Americans agree to retire Irish-American Heritage Month (March), etc. The fact is is only Black History Month that some people say needs to be retired shows what their real agenda is--i.e. to pretend racism is no longer an issue.
We don't have Polish History or Irish History Month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies