Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Oh wow. You just revealed that you really don't know black people.

I mean seriously. Do you think that most blacks don't know that their ancestor were sold to some white man from some cloth, whisky and guns? Just get any hip hopper angry with an African street vendor and see how quickly that pours out of their mouth.

I mean where do you guys get your information? Did you watch Gates on his series on Africa and on African Americans?

OMG!! It went right over your head!!!!

I've never been privy to seeing a hip hopper angry with an African street vendor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Every year the same people take issue with Black History Month and MLK Day. Is Columbus Day really needed?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
If you disagree with me with PROVE ME WRONG. Because it is clear even to YOU that the overwhelming majority of our media images are based on whites.

You see you CAN'T PROVE me wrong so you engage in this, when just two seconds ago you claimed to be "color blind" so didn't notice that most people are white.
I'm waiting for you to PROVE you are right, other than you saying something and expecting me to accept it as fact. When you can actually prove what your saying is fact, then I'll take it from there.

I'm not obsessed with race. I have other things that I'm more focused on than the color of someone's skin. You see, your obsession with skin color is a reason as to why things are the way they are today yet you want to blame white people and fail to see how YOU contribute to the problem.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You wanted to peddle a lie that Mr. Johnson was the first slave owner, implying that he single handedly invented slavery in the USA, and then the bit of the Cherokees.

Well if the social, political, and economic systems were controlled by whites at the time (as they still are) then fill in the blanks, and don't engage in white victimhood.

I can only ponder about this emotional meltdown when no one here denies that there weren't black slave owners, and that African slave kingdoms didn't play an enormous role in the trans Atlantic slave trade.

So why the wails about "its all the white man's fault"?

Are you trying to suggest that a social, political, and economic system that was dominated by white elites, didn't do bad things to blacks? And to non elite whites? I wonder where is your acknowledgement of the fact that I have mentioned white poverty and exploitation by this same system?
There you go again. Assuming and trying to put words in my mouth. Is that how you generally debate with people who don't agree with you? Is that how you think you win a debate.

I haven't assumed anything about you. Nor have I put words in your mouth. Nor have I told you how you think. Nor have I insulted you during this exchange. You have done all of those things to me. And when you do that, your argument gets thinner and thinner to the point it evaporates.

POOF.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
If they knew that they wouldn't try to undermine discussions by suggesting that it isn't a known fact that blacks owned slaves and that Africans enslaved people and sold them to Europeans.

These are known facts that those who wish to suggest that this isn't the case, nor that it isn't spoken about just distract from the fact.

Indeed there has been pressure for Africans to apologize for their role in slavery too. Some have done so, and others have refused to.

But the reality is that the main goal of those who engage in these types of discussions really is to stifle any discussion of contemporary racism and the fact that the USA is not yet a color blind society, despite the claims of some. Yet the same people suddenly change their tune when we talk about Trayvon Martin, a "scary" black boy.
You are all over the place. Slavery, racism and now you bring up Trayvon Martin?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I said people with white guilt. Clearly you MUST have it if you think that I am referring to you.

Why your interest in this topic though if BHM doesn't interest you? You have certainly made many posts for some one who finds it a snore.

I am very aware of Irish history, ethnic identity and mobilization, and the obsession with oppression at the hands of the English, but that's a different topic. Suffice to say that there are many who will claim that the Irish have been quite adept at waving a victim flag.
Selective memory on accusing me of having white guilt??

Sure you are aware of Irish history. You probably think you know more about it than I do.

Maybe the Irish used the victim flag decades ago after their victimization, but the sure as hell don't use it today. They dropped that flag and moved on and made something of themselves. Try it, you might like it.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
OMG!! It went right over your head!!!!

I've never been privy to seeing a hip hopper angry with an African street vendor.

So I guess you just learned something about blacks that you didn't know before.

Indeed many an African in the Bronx, when faced with this, must explain that MAYBE his ancestors were involved in the trade, but he wasn't, so is confused as to why such accusations are being levelled at him.

You just learned that blacks don't only blame the "white man".

Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Selective memory on accusing me of having white guilt??

Sure you are aware of Irish history. You probably think you know more about it than I do.

Maybe the Irish used the victim flag decades ago after their victimization, but the sure as hell don't use it today. They dropped that flag and moved on and made something of themselves. Try it, you might like it.

Well you said that you aren't guilty so why continue the conversation.

Given that this thread is about BHM I don't see why any discussion on the angst that the Irish have with the English is relevant. What ever the animosity is doesn't interest me. But I will tell you that generations later many of the Irish, who have lived in the UK since the Potato Famine, do carry memories of British rule.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You have a right to do it if you so wish, but is it a good use of your time if you have no interest in black history, and no sympathy for those who endured it?

I mean you aren't going to find me making so many posts on an Irish forum if the debate is over the role of the English in creating the Potato Famine (yes I know about that).
If I recall, the Potato Famine was covered during American History class in either elementary or high school.

My sympathy goes to every person that was enslaved. You weren't. My sympathy goes to those who died because of Jim Crow. My sympathy goes to those who died during the civil rights movements. If you think you deserve some kind of sympathy because of black history you are so wrong to seek it. It is not yours to expect and there is no reason for it to be given.

Do what the Irish immigrants did that came to the US. They didn't look for sympathy. They pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and moved on and made something of their lives. There were no handouts then. Government didn't create programs for them and throw millions of dollars at them to get on their feet or put a roof over their head or feed them. They were laborers and had a back and they used it for whatever job that came along. That goes for every other ethnic group that was at one time the underdog in American society.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You are all over the place. Slavery, racism and now you bring up Trayvon Martin?

OK I will leave you alone for tonight. Sleep well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies