Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...not interested. Why would I wanna frustrate efforts that come to nothing? No...on the contrary..I'm enjoying it.

Know why? Because BHM is here to stay.

And you've just gotta live with it.
Live with it?? You can make every Friday Black History Day for all I care.

I have by far much more important things that I'm concerned about. Such as I think I have an ingrown nail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Being put off and resistant isn't gonna end BHM.
Yeah, and yabbering on and on how white people are to blame for all of the problems black people have isn't going to end either. Whites are just going to have to live with that too, probably for the next 100 years.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Every year the same people take issue with Black History Month and MLK Day. Is Columbus Day really needed?

you know the Italians (I mean those who have never been to Italy, and who don't know any more Italian than I do) march with all their flags and many gov't offices are closed yet I don't hear black people complaining.

You know what's funny is that Columbus landed on the Bahamas, Jamaica and many other Caribbean islands and they do NOT commemorate Columbus Day. Yet the man never set foot in the USA, and it is a holiday in certain states, and many study him as if he was this hero. Yes this same man who was arrested for corruption and incompetence.

Yet some people make endless posts on BHM where they claim that Black History doesn't interest them.

Why is it that so many people seem so obsessed with blacks when they claim that we have made no contributions worth talking about and only white men are worthy of study?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So I guess you just learned something about blacks that you didn't know before.

Indeed many an African in the Bronx, when faced with this, must explain that MAYBE his ancestors were involved in the trade, but he wasn't, so is confused as to why such accusations are being levelled at him.

You just learned that blacks don't only blame the "white man".
Yes, I will tuck that little tidbit away for the future. There just may be a day when I can use it.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yeah, and yabbering on and on how white people are to blame for all of the problems black people have isn't going to end either. Whites are just going to have to live with that too, probably for the next 100 years.

When you find posts where people have asserted that whites are 100% to blame you might have a point. We have discussed African involvement in slavery and the fact that blacks owned slaves, even those who were former slaves. No one here suggested that Europeans forced Africans to be complicit. So clearly Africans were also to blame.

I have even raised the fact that the same economic, political and social systems that were put in place to control blacks were also used to control whites, maybe some of your Irish ancestors. So blacks weren't the only ones who suffered.

Have a good night.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I will tuck that little tidbit away for the future. There just may be a day when I can use it.

Yes use it but as you did today you will discover that you aren't bringing news that we weren't already aware of,

sleep well.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Live with it?? You can make every Friday Black History Day for all I care.

I have by far much more important things that I'm concerned about. Such as I think I have an ingrown nail.

Yes having an ingrown nail is a real pain.

So tell me why again so many posts from you on this subject?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Well you said that you aren't guilty so why continue the conversation.

Given that this thread is about BHM I don't see why any discussion on the angst that the Irish have with the English is relevant. What ever the animosity is doesn't interest me. But I will tell you that generations later many of the Irish, who have lived in the UK since the Potato Famine, do carry memories of British rule.
OMG - you brought up the English and the Irish to prove a point. And what the hell does the UK have to do with the US and BHM??

So, are you saying that one must be filled with white guilt to participate in this conversation or any conversation that pertains to blacks? And since I told you I don't have any white guilt I should stop posting. Would this be your way of getting me to stop posting?? If it is, it's not going to work.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
They pulled themselves up by the bootstraps .
Oh and here was I thinking that all of the programs of FDR and the GI Bill and massive help in obtaining mortgages didn't have anything to do with the white working class of the North East and Mid West, in response to demands from the ethnic party bosses in many of those urban cities.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Is that what I said? No, I don't think it is, thanks.
You implied it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies