Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You didn't make a point. You just disagreed with mine.
Furthermore BHM doesn't CREATE role models. It lets kids know about them.
Are you saying that Thomas Edison can't be a black student's role model because he was white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
[quote=residinghere2007;33633332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

You asked for black inventors and I provided you some. So what if only one is a household product, all of them or a variation of the original are used every day in this country.

Because uggabugga asked about black inventors....
Wrong. I asked for the names of the alleged household products.

Go back and look.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I would say that is to those who celebrate it. To those who don't. Not so much.
Me? A great American is a great American, race is not a qualifier.
Colin Powell, a man any of us can and should respect. Came from very humble beginnings and worked his way up to the top of the Military food chain, served as Secretary of State. His Biography is a great read.
There are many examples, but Mr. Powell is a man that I can respect and is as good an example as there ever will be.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
yes, its still needed based on the responses you see from white conservative males on this site.

if for nothing else just to stick it to them.
Whar about comments from black conservative females?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would say that is to those who celebrate it. To those who don't. Not so much.
Me? A great American is a great American, race is not a qualifier.
Colin Powell, a man any of us can and should respect. Came from very humble beginnings and worked his way up to the top of the Military food chain, served as Secretary of State. His Biography is a great read.
There are many examples, but Mr. Powell is a man that I can respect and is as good an example as there ever will be.
ask a conservative white male about powell, they will say the nastiest things about him. i agree though that hes a great man.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Whar about comments from black conservative females?
i havent seen any on here

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you think black history month actually creates positive roll models for the black youth of today then I really have nothing more to add to the conversation

Please tell me about how learning about the inventor of peanut butter, traffic single or the mail box creates roll models.
Black history month is not just about learning about inventors. Uggabugga asked about them so I mentioned some I knew. You people (and yes, I said "you people") really get off into a tangent really quickly.

And as I stated in my response, I wish black history month was not needed. Unfortunately, though black history is not taught regularly in school. I personally feel that more white majority schools need to focus on black history and other minorities' history moreso in order to combat the silly racial prejudices and stereotypes that are very prevalent in todays society.

But it is important IMO that for one - the fact that black people trailblazed the idea of setting aside a portion of the school year to focus on teaching black children about black accomplishments. Most schools don't teach that - the fact that Black History Month was unique and that it was indicative of the self-reliance of black people on teaching black children the history of black accomplishment, not just in this country but globally. The purpose was to show we are more than servants or the lowliest of those and to give children hope that they too can accomplish and contribute great things to our society. There is nothing wrong with that.

The majority of American history in regards to black people are focused on 1-Slavery, 2-Racism, 3-Civil Rights, 4-Sports, 5-Entertainers. Black people have made lots of contributions to our country than the latter and if it weren't for black history month, most children would never be aware of anything about black people other than those 5.

I personally learned about Frederick Douglass as a child via a black history month lesson. He and Sojourner Truth. I had never heard of him or her. I was 8 at the time and was intrigued and read everything I could find on both, including their biographies (in Douglass' case the Narrative in the Life of Frederick Douglass and his subsequent writings - I was an Honor's student and in the TAG program so read at an 11th grade level so reading those were not hard. I wish more middle schoolers read this book as it is a great lesson in American history). I was amazed at their accomplishments and Frederick Douglass is still a huge role model of mine. I am nerdy and tell people that I basically fell in love with him lol! He was my first love, he was smart, handsome, strong, and determined. He was instrumental in me knowing that we as black people should not make excuses in regards to setting goals and achieving them. He is an excellent figure that all to often is overlooked now-a-days. I can go on and on about him but won't. Many people don't know that Sojourner Truth didn't even speak English until she was an adult due to being a slave in NY state and owned by a Dutch family. I never even knew the Dutch history in NY state until I read her narrative, so I learned a lot about America in general via reading about her and learned about the early women's movement. She is buried in Battle Creek, MI - I have relatives who live there so I visited the monument to her, so it made me feel close to her and that proud history. Frederick Douglass lived in Ohio for a time as well, so I felt a connection to him in that fashion. I mentioned Paul Laurence Dunbar - one of my family's surnames is Dunbar and they are from the same town (he and Garret Morgan who invented the traffic signal). Learning about Paul Dunbar is what got me interested in genealogy as I wanted to see if I was related to him via research. I am!! So that was exciting and brought history alive to me in a way. As stated Paul Dunbar went to high school with the Wright Brothers so that is a connection as well that can be taught to children - how we are all so connected in this country and can be friends and colleagues even in times that may seem hostile to one or both friends. So black history in this country is something that connects us, shows our American-ness in a way that regular history does not. We can learn about black contributions to nearly every facet of American society and personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I agree that all history should be taught together, but unfortunately that is not the case in our country. Many of you who complain about it, if in charge, would not teach anything about any sorts of black contributions because you would weigh them against some other white person's accomplishment. I thought it interesting too that someone mentioned construction projects in this countries (bridges and such) as if black people did not contribute to the labor and engineering of those bridges. Many black American's ideas were stolen from them and not acknowledged.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
ask a conservative white male about powell, they will say the nastiest things about him. i agree though that hes a great man.
Harrier has nothing but positive things to say about Mr. Powell.

So much for your theory.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
That's absolutely not true. CP is a great man, fearless leader and would have made a great 1st Black President.

Much better of a man than what we got.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The difference is BHM is actually part of the school curriculum and receives national attention. I don't see the history channel running a series of programs about polish people in October or a month dedicated to the Irish at school.

Apples and Oranges, but both a fruit.
Are you kidding me? There are TONS of such programs about all kinds of immigrant groups. And St. Patrick's Day receives plenty of national attention.

There is no apples vs. oranges issue here. This is just a move by people who uncomfortable about discussions of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies