Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC29 View Post
Most liberals are not soft on crime. They are just trying to figure out the "why" behind it all. Figure out the why and you have a much greater chance of being able to change the cycle or rehabilitate. Much better than putting them in jail and throwing away the key because odds are, for every one but the most violent offenders, they will get let out. We financially cannot afford to put everyone in jail for the rest of their lives.
Liberals want to prevent crime. Conservatives have a case of short-sightedness and will only fix it after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC29 View Post
Most liberals are not soft on crime. They are just trying to figure out the "why" behind it all. Figure out the why and you have a much greater chance of being able to change the cycle or rehabilitate. Much better than putting them in jail and throwing away the key because odds are, for every one but the most violent offenders, they will get let out. We financially cannot afford to put everyone in jail for the rest of their lives.
I'm getting pretty dang old and I remember we've been trying to figure out for years. If we haven't been able to figure it out by now maybe it's time for more punishment for young offenders.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Liberals want to prevent crime. Conservatives have a case of short-sightedness and will only fix it after the fact.
Liberals want to prevent crime? Well you're not doing a very good job at it.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM

208 posts, read 416,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I'm getting pretty dang old and I remember we've been trying to figure out for years. If we haven't been able to figure it out by now maybe it's time for more punishment for young offenders.
The problem has been figured out. We know of ways to prevent crime but there's no financial or political incentive for doing so. In fact there is quite a bit of money in doing just the opposite so that's what is done.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
The problem has been figured out. We know of ways to prevent crime but there's no financial or political incentive for doing so. In fact there is quite a bit of money in doing just the opposite so that's what is done.
And what are those ways ?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
And what are those ways ?
Mass genocide on any and all 10th time offenders and above.

Then again, I've always believed that public humiliation is a great way to deter stupidity.

Then again, it sounds harsh, but why are we letting drug dealers, prostitutes, and the rest of the scum of America raise children in mass quantities?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM

I can not say I know of all the ways but a brief listing includes:

Education. I don’t mean just going to school but actually teaching children. They enjoy learning but when they are not taught or conditions make it impossible, they will lose interest. What is worse is that they will begin to compensate in other, sometimes destructive ways but intellectually engaging children does work.

Proper examples. People model what they see. Give them crackheads, plastic values and materialism and that’s what you’ll get.

Proper parenting. I personally believe that if you raise a child properly you won’t have to do much disciplining beyond the age of 6. I don’t know many people who can afford to spend the necessary time with their children raising them.

Societal value systems. People will do what is accepted in their family/community/society. As the society goes, so goes the individual.

Attending to emotional needs. Young people are so vulnerable. They need to be loved and have their emotional needs met and they are increasingly not getting what they need from our society and families in the way of emotional support. If we aren’t giving them what they need, they will get it from someone else. Heaven help you if that influence is one you don’t approve of.

We are increasing negligent in these regards. It’s how it get Columbine, it’s how we get gangs, it how we get young offenders….and throwing them in prison with 38 year old 250lb criminals for years at a time only makes the situation worse.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
and throwing them in prison with 38 year old 250lb criminals for years at a time only makes the situation worse.
So, putting them in a designated "juvie jail" known as Juvenile Hall - where they have game systems, full line-up of cable, while giving them free college educations and then placing them in minimum wage jobs where they are actually making more than they would have if normall hired won't?

You're right, society is in decline socially, educationally, and as a family.

Then again, what may be "fun" for somebody in school may not be for another student. There's no set fit. If teaching involves "having fun," it's usually out of the teacher's own pocketbook...

What one parent values, another may detest.

In the end, we know what the problems are; it's that coming up with real life solutions is a lot harder than just speculation of a known problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
So, putting them in a designated "juvie jail" known as Juvenile Hall - where they have game systems, full line-up of cable, while giving them free college educations and then placing them in minimum wage jobs where they are actually making more than they would have if normall hired won't?
No. How does any of that benefit the young offender or help him turn his life around? How is that giving him the tools he needs to better himself? I don't know of a juvie center that pays for a college education but what good is it if the retention rate is dismal due to other factors? Or was the quote above tongue in cheek?

<<And I will add (cautiously) that many juvie centers are prime opportunities for predators (both young and old). I mention this because what you chose to quote from post #37.>>

What does "fun" have to do with what I've posted? Are you speaking of subject matter? Methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
In the end, we know what the problems are; it's that coming up with real life solutions is a lot harder
This sounds a lot like post #34. I would say though, that the solutions aren't hard. Finding the courage to implement them is hard.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
gangs catch on. they use minors to do dirty work of the gang as they know the system.
the punishments keep getting more severe but the crime keeps increasing.
the one "no no" is execution, when you go there the public goes nuts.
same applys to the arrest procedure, use of violence by cops, results in public uprising.
its not getting any better is it?
interesting, our founding fathers promoted a permissive judicial system, trial by jury of peers, mostly in counter balance to the harsh british system. so resistance to punishment by the people is not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies