Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been doing that all my entire life. I use words primarily from Greek, Latin, German, and Angles (which originated from Germany). The Saxon scum originated from France, so I do not use that filth.
Uh; many common English words came straight from French, just that we "murdered" the way they sound.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; many common English words came straight from French, just that we "murdered" the way they sound.
As we should. Anyone who speaks French or Spanish is clearly several bricks short of a full load.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Why does French have a better reputation than Spanish in the US?

Because fewer French speakers have walked across the border illegally, gotten treatments at emercency rooms that the rest of us now have to pay for, gotten free educations at public schools that the rest of us have to pay for, etc. etc., all the while castigating us as heartless, ungenerous, racist, unfeeling, than Spanish speakers have?

Just a guess.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why does French have a better reputation than Spanish in the US?

Because fewer French speakers have walked across the border illegally, gotten treatments at emercency rooms that the rest of us now have to pay for, gotten free educations at public schools that the rest of us have to pay for, etc. etc., all the while castigating us as heartless, ungenerous, racist, unfeeling, than Spanish speakers have?

Just a guess.
"Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything." --- Steve Martin

"Someone help him! He spoke French!" --- Steve Martin

Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As we should. Anyone who speaks French or Spanish is clearly several bricks short of a full load.
I like your sense of humour, you have a certain, I don't know...je nais sais quois

Quelle grosse blague!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im about as anti-liberal as it gets, I am just a realist. Regardless of what we do these Hispanic people are not going away ... the political will to deport huge numbers of people does not exist. The Dems want their easy votes and the Reps want their cheap labor. We might as well embrace our demographic destiny and try to convert as many as them as possible to the conservative cause ... but we can't do that by living in fear of "Spanish speaking brown people" and freaking out at the mere mention of anything Hispanic.

If you have read my other posts you would see that I am extremely conservative.
In other words just roll over and accept the illegal invasion of our country including learning the invader's language to placate them? My that's some American fighting spirit you have there. The rest of us true patriots will continue this fight to save our identity as a nation, our language and culture and not lose it via illegal immigration. It's not fear but an objection to losing this country in such an unnatural and unlawful manner. It is duly noted that you felt the need to mention skin color. WTH does skin color have to do with this? I smell the stench of the race card here.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Judgments about languages are always really judgments about speakers of those languages. Yes, many people in the US have a special disdain forts Spanish, because they associate it with undocumented immigrants (or "illegals," as they are often referred to here).
It's not just that but the fact that most of their citizen counterparts refuse to assimilate into our country lingually in our country and that they think these illegal aliens and yes that is what they are, not undocumented immigrants, just because they share ethnic roots.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
My siblings and I all studied either French or Spanish (or both), our mother studied French, my husband studied German, my oldest is taking Mandarin, my middle is taking Latin, and my youngest will probably take Spanish. I think it's great for everybody to study at least one foreign language, no matter they might choose.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My siblings and I all studied either French or Spanish (or both), our mother studied French, my husband studied German, my oldest is taking Mandarin, my middle is taking Latin, and my youngest will probably take Spanish. I think it's great for everybody to study at least one foreign language, no matter they might choose.
So do I, but the mindless, provincial, stubborn to a fault monolingualists will never believe it. Anyway, both French and Spanish are Romance languages, so if you know one, it is easier to learn the other.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
No one has posted actual data, but I'm fairly certain learning Spanish is as or even more popular than learning French in the US. As far as prestige goes, French has always been the language of the cultured/upper class in Europe and even served as Europe's lingua franca for a good portion of its medieval/post-medieval history.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-25-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies