U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,657,683 times

Advertisements

I've heard it before. Spanish is the language of the ghetto. Spanish speakers are looked down upon in this country. Despite millions upon millions of French speakers living in 3rd world countries (French speaking former colony countries are less developed, as a whole, than former Spanish colonies), French enjoys a better reputation in the US than Spanish does. Is there an inherent bias against Spanish? Seems like a lot of Americans have no idea that Spanish is a European language, with its home country bordering France. But, when it comes to French, pretty much even a redneck would probably know French is a European language and France is in Europe.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM

13,571 posts, read 8,800,327 times
Probably because Spanish is stereotyped by association with low income Latino immigrants in this country - though it says nothing about international trade with Latin America (a lot of that being conducted out of South Florida), nor does it say anything about the media empire of say Telemundo or Univision. I've seen posters on these forums state with all seriousness that learning Spanish (if you're not native) as a language dooms you to low-wage occupations, just by association. How stupid is that!

Whereas, French has the old tradition of the language of diplomacy, though, as you say, it says little of the impoverished inhabitants of Francophone developing countries, but we don't see many of them here in the USA, aside from Haitian immigrants.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM

793 posts, read 1,295,075 times
You think that's bad, try speaking cimmerian. Everyone looks at you like you're some kind of barbarian.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,783,953 times
I do not hold any romantic language in high esteem. Both the French and the Spanish have given me cause to dislike them as a whole. I have far more respect for just about any other people and language than I have for French or Spanish. French and Spanish are two filthy languages I will never learn.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Probably because Spanish is stereotyped by association with low income Latino immigrants in this country - though it says nothing about international trade with Latin America (a lot of that being conducted out of South Florida), nor does it say anything about the media empire of say Telemundo or Univision.

Whereas, French has the old tradition of the language of diplomacy, though, as you say, it says little of the impoverished inhabitants of Francophone developing countries, but we don't see many of them here in the USA, aside from Haitian immigrants.
That being said, most latinos in the US come from 2 places: Mexico, a foreign country; and Puerto Rico, a US territory. None of France's former possessions, except 2, are anything above 3rd world (except Tunisia and Morocco). Seems like to me it's a numbers game. Just by pure coincidence that most Spanish countries are nearby, despite all of them being 2nd world (except Nicaragua and Cuba)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not hold any romantic language in high esteem. Both the French and the Spanish have given me cause to dislike them as a whole. I have far more respect for just about any other people and language than I have for French or Spanish. French and Spanish are two filthy languages I will never learn.
Why are they filthy?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM

15,085 posts, read 13,231,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What the hell is a "filthy" language?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-26-2014 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM

13,571 posts, read 8,800,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What the hell is a "filthy" language?
In any case, I have absolutely no doubt that you're incapable of learning them.
Sadly, these sort of threads bring out the worst expressions of xenophobia and ethnocentrism around.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM

15,721 posts, read 10,819,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've heard it before. Spanish is the language of the ghetto. Spanish speakers are looked down upon in this country. Despite millions upon millions of French speakers living in 3rd world countries (French speaking former colony countries are less developed, as a whole, than former Spanish colonies), French enjoys a better reputation in the US than Spanish does. Is there an inherent bias against Spanish? Seems like a lot of Americans have no idea that Spanish is a European language, with its home country bordering France. But, when it comes to French, pretty much even a redneck would probably know French is a European language and France is in Europe.
Probably because French is viewed as a chic language. The language of Paris and high fashion, amazing food, artistic marvels, high class. Aside from English, it's the language of diplomacy. It's also often regarded as the most beautiful language in the world (Italian is a common contender).

Spanish, from an American perspective is the language of Mexico, landscapers, and cleaning staff. Spanish doesn't have the cultural or chic reputation that French has.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 8,901,632 times
For one, you are confusing Spanish and Hispanic and two, people do not hold the French in high regard.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Sadly, these sort of threads bring out the worst expressions of xenophobia and ethnocentrism around.
It's funny that certain posters on C-D cry about Hispanics putting our ethnic group over everyone else, where now we see the same being done in this very thread. Hypocrisy much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies