Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Look at the states where ordinary citizens can sign a petition to propose legislation directly.
Yeah the blue state of Maryland. Yup, this is bad. Only wealthy politicians should set the agenda and everyone eise must be sheep. It's awful when poor people have power of any sort. It means find some illegal technicality to get them disenfranchised because chances are there are too poor to hire a lawyer.

Look where the Occupy Movement succeeded. Blue states. Ordinary people to assemble in a public park to exercise free speech, imagine that. Yup this is bad. We must plant drugs into the park to create a cause to close the park down. Only wealthy landowners can roam those grasslands.

Look where people who love each other, regardless of sexual orientation, can live happily ever after. Yep 17 blue states. Yup this is bad. Govt must dictate the holy bible and force it on all 50 states.

In my spare time, I created software for an app that shows you exactly to the square inch where you will be if you walk towards a structure you see from your backyard. I am not making this up. But because I'm not made of money and can't afford the legal costs to get the app up and going, I can't compete with corporate big wigs that rightwingers ensure are the only ones allowed to make stuff, or else it goes to China. But by the grace of G-d, a small business subsidy in the blue state of Connecticut enabled me to break ground. Yup, this is bad.

Like the same-sex partners, like the occupy revolutionaries, like the self-educated citizen petitioners, like the innovative entrepreneurs in their garages with big ideas, NO NO NO. Ordinary citizens are not supposed to have these powers! They are supposed to be forced not to be able to do anything but bow to corporate rightwing giants so that it can forever be perpetuated

only the Walmarts and big financial institutions have ideas
Only the big fast food industry create jobs
Only Exxon mobile creates jobs
Everyone else is just to be a dumb flake who is either employed by these giant companies who outsource their manufacturing, or they are just called lazy. Yup that's the way y'all like it.
The part that scares me about people like you: that you get an equal vote as well-informed, intelligent people capable of rational thought.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
I would like the OP to try and buy a home or start a business in Palo Alto and then tell me how great it is.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Look at the states where ordinary citizens can sign a petition to propose legislation directly.
Yeah the blue state of Maryland. Yup, this is bad. Only wealthy politicians should set the agenda and everyone eise must be sheep. It's awful when poor people have power of any sort. It means find some illegal technicality to get them disenfranchised because chances are there are too poor to hire a lawyer.

Look where the Occupy Movement succeeded. Blue states. Ordinary people to assemble in a public park to exercise free speech, imagine that. Yup this is bad. We must plant drugs into the park to create a cause to close the park down. Only wealthy landowners can roam those grasslands.

Look where people who love each other, regardless of sexual orientation, can live happily ever after. Yep 17 blue states. Yup this is bad. Govt must dictate the holy bible and force it on all 50 states.

In my spare time, I created software for an app that shows you exactly to the square inch where you will be if you walk towards a structure you see from your backyard. I am not making this up. But because I'm not made of money and can't afford the legal costs to get the app up and going, I can't compete with corporate big wigs that rightwingers ensure are the only ones allowed to make stuff, or else it goes to China. But by the grace of G-d, a small business subsidy in the blue state of Connecticut enabled me to break ground. Yup, this is bad.

Like the same-sex partners, like the occupy revolutionaries, like the self-educated citizen petitioners, like the innovative entrepreneurs in their garages with big ideas, NO NO NO. Ordinary citizens are not supposed to have these powers! They are supposed to be forced not to be able to do anything but bow to corporate rightwing giants so that it can forever be perpetuated

only the Walmarts and big financial institutions have ideas
Only the big fast food industry create jobs
Only Exxon mobile creates jobs
Everyone else is just to be a dumb flake who is either employed by these giant companies who outsource their manufacturing, or they are just called lazy. Yup that's the way y'all like it.

Let's try this:

Instead of blaming your app failure on right wingers, you should look at your app. The first question that you need to ask yourself when you create anything is: Does anyone need this or think they need it?

I don't need an app to tell me where I'll be if I walk towards a building I can see from my window. Why on earth would I need that? I don't even THINK I need that.

Go back to the drawing board and try it again. The energy that you have spent crying about your app failure, you could have come up with a new app.

Newsflash: YOU DO NOT NEED a lot of money to get started in the app business. You just need a good idea. Yours wasn't a good idea.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not sure I understand. If I start walking towards a structure I can see from my back yard, don't I already know where I am?
You kids and your apps.......
I exaggerated it slightly.
What the app does is uses sun/moon data based on like sunrise equation

Sin(solar elevation -.83)/ cos(angle declination)*cos(angle latitude)

- tangent (angle declination) times tan (angle latitude)

With longitude, timezone, equation of time adjustment

Then uses this method to track linear distances from sun position

And for the backyard piece, it's that you take a photo of both your iPhone's compass and the view, then a bearings is scaled to your photo

Actually didn't implement it yet but Connecticut had a software organization to allow me to put stuff in excel and then get it in app form

The math/science behind it isn't difficult, it's the making it work at reasonable bandwidth and delivery that's hard.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:

And for the backyard piece, it's that you take a photo of both your iPhone's compass and the view, then a bearings is scaled to your photo

Actually didn't implement it yet but Connecticut had a software organization to allow me to put stuff in excel and then get it in app form
So....kind of an old-school GPS, per se.

Neat.

Now, what does that have to do with politics?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

The math/science behind it isn't difficult, it's the making it work at reasonable bandwidth and delivery that's hard.
Or....I could look around.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:

When you decided to make an app, did you spend any time studying demographics of app buyers? Did you ask yourself what audience you're trying to appeal to with this app? How many people have expressed an interest in this sort of thing?

Go find out who does most of the app buying out there. Your app is not going to appeal to those masses.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Quote:
Occupy Wall Street was successful in that people had at all times of the day, a place to crash and organize and work together. It was a chapter in a process that is to somehow be continued.
You could do this in your mom's basement couldn't you?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM

I think my app idea has market potential depending on how it's presented and marketed. I would target a teens and 20 something crowd as like

"I spy someone on Facebook in Kansas City ...my fence is pointing at your linear direction ..and coincidentally we have the same birthday, so add me as a contact".

So id take it in that direction if I decided to give it a go

Anyways, it's not really an issue of liberals and conservatives. I just got upright seeing one of the other threads saying "why do left wingers hate walmart" and it got me fired up to make this thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When you decided to make an app, did you spend any time studying demographics of app buyers? Did you ask yourself what audience you're trying to appeal to with this app? How many people have expressed an interest in this sort of thing?

Go find out who does most of the app buying out there. Your app is not going to appeal to those masses.
This advice is very correct. And yes the idea is clever but I can only get certain people to really care about it in their daily lives, but I can find one of many ways to grab enormous attention. Think magic trick marketing "I know where your fence leads to, we can go there.
It could be a good app for kids perhaps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies