Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I always wander how people like Op can think that more wealth being shared thru government has middleman can equal more choice and more freedom. That control ties those dependent to politicians. that is what happening now has politicians take money form corporations and rich to distribute based on political considerations. Perhaps that is why as Clinton says that 20% of those in poverty get 80% of funds to fight [poverty. the politics of poverty. Now we se government replacing employers in many benefits more and more. Example corporations and rich who give vast majority give government money in taxes and fees. government distribute such things as food stamps to control where spent; Lunch thru schools for children; housing thru direct payments to owners. People complain they haven't gotten raise in years;
of course not it goes to government who makes decision on what your given to use to get what. More and more freedom of choice from what to buy to what is compensated goes thru government middleman for more and more people sliding into dependency .Occupy wall street comments where funny as they couldn't even keep order among themselves or keep living place clean. Ended up a big garbage pile really. Couldn't run a park size area much less anything larger.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Rightwingers don't like when average citizens have too much freedom, huh?

You mean, this "right-winger"?

"... a lot of people say there's too much freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it."
-Bill Clinton, April 19, 1994, in an interview on MTV

Sorry, your accusation is a non-starter.

When it comes to people who fear average citizens having too much freedom, the leftists wrote the book on it.

Normal Americans (i.e. conservatives, which is what most Americans are, despite their odd voting patterns) have been opposing them from the get-go.... for exactly that reason.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
What someone can do and what actually happens/is practical in the market environment are unbelievably separate things.

This is why it's Liberal places like Palo Alto and villagy NYC where original concepts come to life. And in those very red conservative places you just see more McDonald M signs than you can count. And very mundane services like car dealerships, pest control, carpentry, hardware store, nothing new or original.
Driven the Camino Real lately? Didn't think so.

The new development at San Antonio Blvd looks like any other city. The burger and beer joint is cool but every national chain is represented up and down the Camino.

Down the road is a Costco and McDonalds. There are a couple car dealers on the road and a couple more to either side. Lots of little shops in addition to the chains. Up the road is a Walgreen and a few others. We even have some check cashing businesses.

As for liberal, the guys I know are only liberal with your money. They are all conservative with their own.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
I exaggerated it slightly.
What the app does is uses sun/moon data based on like sunrise equation

Sin(solar elevation -.83)/ cos(angle declination)*cos(angle latitude)

- tangent (angle declination) times tan (angle latitude)

With longitude, timezone, equation of time adjustment

Then uses this method to track linear distances from sun position

And for the backyard piece, it's that you take a photo of both your iPhone's compass and the view, then a bearings is scaled to your photo

Actually didn't implement it yet but Connecticut had a software organization to allow me to put stuff in excel and then get it in app form

The math/science behind it isn't difficult, it's the making it work at reasonable bandwidth and delivery that's hard.
So you didn't actually develop the app. You created formulas in Excel. You don't have the skill to develop apps and had someone else do it for you. Are you impressed by this? If you were in Palo Alto they would laugh at you and say "take a class; there are 10,000 high schoolers that could do this."

Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Occupy Wall Street was successful in that people had at all times of the day, a place to crash and organize and work together. It was a chapter in a process that is to somehow be continued.
That is your definition of success? If the civil rights movements of the 60s were this "successful" blacks would still be riding in the back of the bus.

OWS was a complete dud. It did nothing but irritate the people in the communities they chose to camp in. They generated ridicule for themselves as a rudderless ship sailing in the middle of the ocean.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Ummm, the recent petition drives in MD have been spearheaded by either Republicans (conferring instate college tuition to ille...errr, undocum.......errr, uninvited guests from outside the US) or Black church leaders (that one was the gay marriage law).

Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of stupid threads since midnight?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
In reality it is only Libertarians who give a damn about personal freedom. The right wants to use government tyranny to impose their own moral standards, and the left want to use government tyranny to impose mob rule and eviscerate the constitution and the free market economy.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,356 times
Quote:
In my spare time, I created software for an app that shows you exactly to the square inch where you will be if you walk towards a structure you see from your backyard. I am not making this up. But because I'm not made of money and can't afford the legal costs to get the app up and going, I can't compete with corporate big wigs that rightwingers ensure are the only ones allowed to make stuff, or else it goes to China. But by the grace of G-d, a small business subsidy in the blue state of Connecticut enabled me to break ground. Yup, this is bad.
Tech companies are overwhelmingly left-wing, not right-wing. If you have a problem with that industry, you have a problem with the Liberals that dominate it.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,984 times
This is a terribly confusing thread with alot of convoluted language all the while trying to pin some form of oppression on rightwingers?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
Quote:
Occupy Wall Street was successful in that people had at all times of the day, a place to crash and organize and work together. It was a chapter in a process that is to somehow be continued.
a place to crash, organize, rape and cop cars to defecate on. That's what I remember about OWS. Is this the freedom you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies