Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What happens if the cop that's breaking the law shoots back and silences you does he get charged with murder or does he get away with it?
It would depend on the situation. Would be left up to the courts to decide. It would take an extreme situation for something like that to happen, but I believe that it is necessary.

What we're doing now isn't working and they are getting off with impunity in many cases. Until the courts and legal system catch up, it is up to us citizens to protect our rights and livelehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
All police should be required to have audio and video on them. There are small little cameras that you can clip onto somewhere and it needs to be on 24/7.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

Another day, another crooked cop. Or in this case, group of cops. The hell is going on with cops?!
In 2010 there were 750,000 Police Officers in the U.S. The vast majority of them do not engage in the sort of thing that happened in Bloomfield, N.J. Technology now makes us all more aware of the occasional situation.

As a backdrop, the sister of this guy's GF called the Police to report domestic violence. Police arrived and the guy fled with Police in pursuit. He was speeding and blew out a tire on a turn.

I am not defending the Police response to the situation. I am making it clear that in most cases, the so- called victims did something to start the ball rolling. This seems to get lost, when Police go too far as they did in this situation.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
I'm not surprised at this at all. I'm only happy this this young man didn't have his life ruined by crooked cops. It leaves you wondering how many others have been falsely accused...

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
This still ended in a totally BS way. The prosecutors should also be charged. BS on they didn't know that there was a second video of the arrest. They knew who was present and how they arrived at the scene and that there would be another videotape of the incidence.

Prosecutors having the idea that their office is there to provide convictions as opposed to upholding the law is the problem.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2010 there were 750,000 Police Officers in the U.S. The vast majority of them do not engage in the sort of thing that happened in Bloomfield, N.J. Technology now makes us all more aware of the occasional situation.

As a backdrop, the sister of this guy's GF called the Police to report domestic violence. Police arrived and the guy fled with Police in pursuit. He was speeding and blew out a tire on a turn.
He didn't run from the cops he left AFTER talking to them. He pulled over when their lights came on. Not the first time you've falsified a story, won't be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am not defending the Police response to the situation. I am making it clear that in most cases, the so- called victims did something to start the ball rolling. This seems to get lost, when Police go too far as they did in this situation.
The "so-called victim" did something to start it? He didn't do anything to justify the beating. Even if someone does run from the cops it doesn't give them any justification to beat him. The only thing lost here is your ability to use logic and reason.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
until we get citizens review boards set up in each jurisdiction, and until we start severely punishing the bad LEOs for their crimes, this kind of thing will get worse and worse.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm not surprised at this at all. I'm only happy this this young man didn't have his life ruined by crooked cops. It leaves you wondering how many others have been falsely accused...
Especially in the days before dash cams.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
i agree that the solution is something like a citizens board that is not connected with the pd. even that though could lead to corruption.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
until we get citizens review boards set up in each jurisdiction, and until we start severely punishing the bad LEOs for their crimes, this kind of thing will get worse and worse.

Not to mention we need to change the mentality of a growing segment of our population who feel "well if you have nothing to hide then you don't have to worry...." or "guilty until proven innocent." Too many people have this mentality, and it is dangerous as this type of acceptance is how a police state comes about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies