Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
<snort>

Spike Lee's Upper East Side mansion hits market at $32 million

The Brooklyn-bred filmmaker bought the 9,000-square-foot townhouse from artist Jasper Johns in 2000 for $16 million. Also known as the Hatch House, the five-bedroom home on E. 63rd St. was designed by Frederick Sterner in 1916.

Spike Lee's Upper East Side mansion hits market at $32 million - NY Daily News

Maybe he was kidding...
What a freakin racist hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Read more: Filmmaker Spike Lee mouths off about Brooklyn gentrification, clams up about Knicks point guard Raymond Felton - NY Daily News

Would he rather these neighborhoods remain crime ridden with terrible schools?

Harlem used to be a wealthy white section of town. Can they have it back Mookie?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Sounds as if someone thinks that some white people snuck into the neighborhood one night and sprinkled fairy dust and the next morning the neighborhood was transformed.

Come on, you know it's not that easy. There are months of secret "white's only" meetings where a fiendish strategy to displace black people from a neighborhood is meticulously hammered out.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Read more: Filmmaker Spike Lee mouths off about Brooklyn gentrification, clams up about Knicks point guard Raymond Felton - NY Daily News

Would he rather these neighborhoods remain crime ridden with terrible schools?
He's got a point. Why can't the hipsters invade other turf? These neighborhoods need to shoot to kill to get those hipsters out of their hoods.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In the state of GA, which is a conservative state, many municipalities already offer seniors a homestead exemption where they pay little to no taxes after the age of 62. You have a problem with that??

The poor homeowners many times do have enough to pay for upkeep of the house, also in my neighborhood, we help our older residents with home repairs for free!! So that is not an issue. And planning poorly has nothing to do with it lol.

I see you have an agenda with that statement. How does "planning poorly" have anything to do with gentrification. Are you saying that older residents should let their neighborhoods be sh** holes and encourage criminal activity so that gentrification won't happen lol. That is just silly and is just an old, played out conservative talking point. Have some original thoughts please.

It doesn't make me feel better if other people pay less, I would rather just have my good old neighbor around for as long as they want to be here.
I do have a problem with a tax exemption for seniors. The baby boomers have carved out another tax break for themselves. Pushing the tax burden even more on the younger generations.

Being around has a cost, Obamacare should have taught you that by now. Every time you want a private for some group another group has to pay for it. If a senior cannot afford their property tax they should get a reverse mortgage to pay it, or get a room mate, or have family help, or sell the house and rent or move to a cheaper house or work a part time job. Here is a list of solutions that doesn't require the theft of funds from other members of society.

You could always cover the additional taxes for your good ol neighbor instead of making tax payers do it.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
This is the same guy who's trying to cash in on his Brooklyn brownstone.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i hate white hipsters. they ruined uptown here in minneapolis. they took the soul and the heart of uptown away and replaced it with whole foods and trader joes.

when i think of the borg (a collective) white people fit that to a T.
You can thank those liberal hipsters. These people are on your side. I don't understand why you should hate them.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Gentrification squeezes out poor renters, but is great for poor property owners. I can understand the pain of being priced out of your old nabe, but there's nothing more New York than one group pushing another out of a neighborhood. It's been happening since wampums were used for trade. I personally prefer the City before it gentrified; it was "real." NYC is rapidly becoming a soulless, plastic, and sterile place.

As for Spike Lee, he's as hypocritical as the hipsters that he's lambasting.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-26-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
<snort>

Spike Lee's Upper East Side mansion hits market at $32 million

The Brooklyn-bred filmmaker bought the 9,000-square-foot townhouse from artist Jasper Johns in 2000 for $16 million. Also known as the Hatch House, the five-bedroom home on E. 63rd St. was designed by Frederick Sterner in 1916.

Spike Lee's Upper East Side mansion hits market at $32 million - NY Daily News

Maybe he was kidding...
Spike Lee helped gentrify the Upper East Side for the very wealthy and now merely upper middle class professional and lower upper class folks can't afford it and had to move to Harlem and Brooklyn...

Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Spike lives in a $32M dollar UES townhome, life has been good to him ironically enough because of White hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies