Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I didn't realize that moving into an area and keeping up the house, opening a business, and participating in the schooling of children pushes black people out?

I must have missed the white people memo where it says making a community nice does harm to black people. When I get home tonight I should spray paint the front of my house and kill my grass so I no longer offend my black neighbors, that way they will feel like I am trying to live with them instead pushing them out.
And empty your garbage can on the front lawn.
Remove the tires from your car and jack it up with concrete blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And empty your garbage can on the front lawn.
Remove the tires from your car and jack it up with concrete blocks.
I was planning on parking the car on blocks on my soon to be dead lawn.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
For every minority who profits from gentrification, there are probably 10 others who suffer. I was born and raised in DC and live just outside of the city now. It is absolutely true that gentrification leads to more police presence. The presence now involves harassing poor people in an attempt to keep the yuppies feeling like they're safe.

re: low income housing in middle class neighborhoods. That happens now. And folks don't like it. So, if you kick poor people out of their inner city homes and then don't want them in the suburbs, where should they go? You can only jail so many of them on trumped up charges...
So whose fault would it be if 10 suffer because of one who sold out?

What people in middle class neighborhoods are objecting to is the devaluation of their lifestyle, property, and increase in crime. Just because you take an uneducated family of 6 on welfare who live in the inner city and put them in a middle class neighborhood doesn't mean they aren't going to take their inner city mentality with them. It's not as if it will be an incentive to get an education, find work, stop committing crimes, and not destroy what is their home. I also know that low income housing is occupied by people of different ethnicities.

Speaking from what I know that has happened in Brooklyn, I don't know about low income housing being built in the middle of middle income neighborhoods. I do know that housing was built on the "fringe" of low income neighborhoods where two blocks could make the different between middle income and low income. I also know that there are low income housing that were built when the neighborhood was considered low income but changed through gentrification and went up a level to middle income.

Hell, certain areas of the West Side and areas in Harlem has seen it all. It has gone through so many changes from elite, to middle income to low income and these areas have been on top for years now and many of those that reside there have gone through various phases. Many welcomed the changes because of the improvement to the neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
It's his hometown. He has a right to his opinions.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
BTW..the Irish said the SAME DAMN THING about what was happening to Hell's Kitchen.

Are they evil racists too?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Lee is from Brooklyn and I think he would knows what's going on.

Spike Lee - A black man who conservatives love to hate.

Carry on.
Yeah, from Brooklyn. He no longer lives there. He was able to AFFORD to get out. Why doesn't he buy a nice townhouse in Bushwick and raise his children there and become an active member of the community rather than giving lip service?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I live in NoVA because of my job. i kind of like it though. I would've considered Nevada but there are no jobs for me there and my friends and family here are all within driving distance. Las Vegas would've been the place for me.

And I got a real good deal for a house here in NoVA. Priced way below market value.
Virginia . Uhmm, I'll just say "no" to that idea, but glad you like it!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Who are you to say that "Brooklyn" is "crime ridden"? "Gentrification" is happening all across the US now. Where do you want to live? A "ghetto" suburb next to a Wal-Mart?
I did not say all of Brooklyn is crime ridden. Some of the neighborhoods are and some that were are now becoming gentrified.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I didn't realize that moving into an area and keeping up the house, opening a business, and participating in the schooling of children pushes black people out?

I must have missed the white people memo where it says making a community nice does harm to black people. When I get home tonight I should spray paint the front of my house and kill my grass so I no longer offend my black neighbors, that way they will feel like I am trying to live with them instead pushing them out.
It's about desirability. In today's world, predominately white and wealthy areas are desirable. That increases demand and with that demand comes a higher price to live there. And money is usually tied into how well you maintain your home and the quality of education your child receives. Being white has nothing to do with it, because there are PLENTY of rundown poor white areas with terrible school systems.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Amazing how you refer to white people in such a way.

The ones gentrifying are most likely young professional 20s-30s, who had no part in "white flight"!

In fact, they're simply moving back into the cities that their forebearers left to provide them with a better, safer lifestyle.

And race has nothing to do about it, as it's money, not race, that talks in the gentrifying game.
I'm not suggesting that those moving back in are the ones who moved out. But I'm sure their parents/grandparents were in that white flight group.

And since poor folks in inner/metropolitan areas are most likely to be minorities, race is very much apart of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies