Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,923,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
You won't have much to worry about until men, in general, figure out that they are not the center of the universe... as attested to by several people who have pointed that out already, reminding you that men are not the only ones who count.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There may be compelling reasons to outlaw at least male + wives polygamy. In US locales where that is practiced, like Colorado City AZ, it becomes a tremendous burden on government as the male is not able to support all the children that are produced (women don't work outside of the home).

Case in point: Unwed mothers.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, using a Bible based definition, multiple wives is more in line with history and tradition, and god's plan. We'd actually be moving TOWARDS the traditional definition of marriage were that to occur.

Also, Eve WAS tempted by a big ole' talking snake, so animal-human relationships also appear to be well-documented.

Read further.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
You have to understand where the push for gay marriage came from. Basically, it began with the AIDS crisis.

Starting in the 1980s, millions of gay men in long-term relationships suddenly found themselves having to care for partners stricken with he illness. They found, to their horror, that they had no legal rights. They could not make end-of-life choices, they could not participate in health care decisions, they sometimes couldn't even visiting dying partners in the hospital. After their partners died, many gay men were kicked out of the homes they had shared for years because they had no legal rights to them. If a husband of wife dies, his or her property transfers automatically to the surviving spouse. Not so with same-sex couples. The list of injustices goes on and on.

For better or worse, many rights and benefits in this society are tied to marriage. That is why marriage equality is so important.

There is no similar circumstance pushing gay men to marry more than one woman.

Commited relationship?
That sounds like multiple partners other than the other is a so called "Long term relationship".

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
What a bunch of social interest sore losers.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
Or at least to allow bisexuals to have one of each.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times
Quote:
We knew this was coming.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post

If gay marriage does become legalized across the country (and in most states it probably will) then I have no doubt that polygamy and even incest marriages will too. I would even go so far as to say that people will even try to '' normalize '' those lifestyles too. They are trying to do it with homosexuality.
Answer a question for me:

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has polygamy also been legalized?

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has incest marriage been legalized?

In the world same sex couples can legally marry in places like Canada, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, the Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, Norway, France, New Zealand, Iceland, Belgium, etc.

In 17 states and D.C. it has been legalized, including New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Iowa, California, Maryland, Vermont, Delaware, Washington, etc.

Where is polygamy also legal in all those places?

If you have no doubt it will happen, then please enlighten us as to when it will come? In 2 years? In 5 years? In 10 years?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Answer a question for me:

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has polygamy also been legalized?

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has incest marriage been legalized?

In the world same sex couples can legally marry in places like Canada, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, the Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, Norway, France, New Zealand, Iceland, Belgium, etc.

In 17 states and D.C. it has been legalized, including New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Iowa, California, Maryland, Vermont, Delaware, Washington, etc.

Where is polygamy also legal in all those places?

If you have no doubt it will happen, then please enlighten us as to when it will come? In 2 years? In 5 years? In 10 years?

Inquiring minds want to know!
that wasn't the OPs point. he thought we were all going to come in here and be hypocrites. from what I have seen, most people who support gay marriage aren't against polygamy (or polyandry or polyamory), so I don't know why these anti marriage freedom get this idea. if you are a consenting adult, marry whoever you want, except close family members, because that is a type of abuse.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,765,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As I said, I'm not saying those changes or this one shouldn't happen, but it will have an impact. I also said it will not impact MY marriage. I personally have no issue with SSM and have even attended a couple of them, with gift in hand. But to argue that it will not impact society, including the institute of marriage, is naïve and not based on what the past has shown us. And if it results in the government getting out of the marriage business, then it actually will impact everyone's marriage. Plus, it will open the door for other changes to marriage.

As I said, I don't think it will impact my marriage in the least. However, the world does not revolve around me. I am allowed to be concerned about how things may impact people other then myself, including my children and future grandchildren. Not everything is about me, and not everything is even about what's in my best interest, sometimes what is more important is how something may impact society as a whole.
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.