Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

I actually agree with this but it won't do much to help.

Quote:
His new “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative is aimed at finding ways in which business and civic leaders can intervene at just the right moment to keep young black men and other men of color on a successful course.

The announcement is not likely to satisfy Mr. Obama’s most vocal critics in the black population, who have accused him of forgetting the people he came from. Tavis Smiley, a black talk-show host, said last year that the progress of blacks had languished during Mr. Obama’s presidency.

“The data is going to indicate sadly that when the Obama administration is over, black people will have lost ground in every single leading economic indicator category,” Mr. Smiley said on Fox News in October. “On that regard, the president ought to be held responsible.”
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/28..._r=0&referrer=

It's also astounding how many kids can't read proficiently by 4th grade, even the majority of White boys can't read proficiently by the 4th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's also astounding how many kids can't read proficiently by 4th grade, even the majority of White boys can't read proficiently by the 4th grade.
One-size-fits-all mixed-ability classes actually fit no one. None of the students' educational needs are met because the ability/skill level range is too wide in such classes. Given that, the majority having insufficient reading skills by 4th grade is no surprise. That would seem to be the intent.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
"His new “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative is aimed at finding ways in which business and civic leaders can intervene at just the right moment to keep young black men and other men of color on a successful course."

I thought that was what jail was for?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
"Young men of color" ? White IS a color too you know.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Indeed. In fact, white is the presence of all color.

As for the topic, the President's initiative is long overdue. Very little, too late, but I hope it helps someone even if it is a politically motivated, vote garnering, image building effort.

Even less than admirable motives can produce some beneficial results to impact lives.
However, rather than playing to the blacks (again), I'd like to see him empower ALL youth.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
It's not the "boys" he needs to reach but their parents instead.
The parents need to be taught how to "parent".

Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I actually agree with this but it won't do much to help.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/28..._r=0&referrer=

I agree with you in both of your statements.

It is very astounding in regards to the reading proficiency of 4th graders. It is something, as a mother of a black boy that really is unsettling for our young males and it is the main reason why I have always ensured that my own son reads at least 2 grades above reading level. Illiteracy and lack of education are directly correlated to incarceration rates.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
It's not the "boys" he needs to reach but their parents instead.
The parents need to be taught how to "parent".
I agree with this as well.

Also want to note that teachers in regards to reading levels need to be more active in ensuring proficiency. Too many times I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears attitudes from (mostly liberal) teachers that pity a young black boy and his circumstance so they don't expect him to read and achieve in other subjects on level.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Indeed. In fact, white is the presence of all color.

As for the topic, the President's initiative is long overdue. Very little, too late, but I hope it helps someone even if it is a politically motivated, vote garnering, image building effort.

Even less than admirable motives can produce some beneficial results to impact lives.
However, rather than playing to the blacks (again), I'd like to see him empower ALL youth.
Excellent point. Young Black men are not the only youth endangered by our abysmal public school system and Obama's stagnantly underperforming economy.

While I applaud the effort, it should have happened MUCH earlier in Obama's presidency, and should definitely have been more inclusive. Obama's presidency has been an equal opportunity destroyer of our youths' futures.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Good comeback. Can't rep you...

--------------------------------------

This approach is a short term fix.

He has done nothing for 5+ years - which tells me that this is REALLY not that important. To me this should have been on the agenda in year one or two - not year six.

The correct fix is not to prod others to do something for black people. He should be motivating us. He should be doing what he can to better our education. Instead of telling everyone what to eat - Michelle should be telling young black girls and women to keep themselves from sexual situations - and he should be doing what Steve Harvey does, which is have a camp for black boys 13-18 that gives discipline and structure, while telling them to reach for their dreams.

But it's something - so we will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies