Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM

88,776 posts, read 44,581,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why?

There are many other authors and articles about Black Liberation theology.
Perhaps, but it was Rev. Wright himself who pointed to racist Cone as the origination of Trinity UCC's mission. I already provided the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
So? If you don't want to read a book that is racist, don't read the book.
Yeah, and if you're not a White-hating racist, don't go to a White-hating racist church for 20+ years. Don't get married in such a church. Don't have both your kids baptized in such a church, etc.

It was Obama's conscious decision to remain closely associated with White-hating racists.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,804,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Perhaps, but it was Rev. Wright himself who pointed to racist Cone as the origination of Trinity UCC's mission. I already provided the link.
No, Revered Wright pointed to systematized Black Liberation theology as the foundation for Trinity UCC's vision statement. He only referenced that Cone's book was the first publication that systematized Black Liberation theology. You've tried to reframe the statement several times, to no avail, because simple, basic grammar stymies your efforts.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and if you're not a White-hating racist, don't go to a White-hating racist church for 20+ years. Don't get married in such a church. Don't have both your kids baptized in such a church, etc.

It was Obama's conscious decision to remain closely associated with White-hating racists.
Not all those who follow Black Liberation theology are white-hating racists. Just like not all who follow Catholicism are women-hating pedophiles.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
No, Revered Wright pointed to systematized Black Liberation theology as the foundation for Trinity UCC's vision statement.
Systemized? No. Rev. Wright specifically indicates Cone's foundation of Black Liberation Theology's philosophy as the mission of Chicago's Trinity UCC. I provided a link to Rev. Wright's own words stating such. And we've all seen Cone's highly anti-White racist statements. They've been cited in multiple sources, including footnoted sources, none of which anyone has been able to disprove.

You just want to walk it back because it exposes Obama for the racist that he truly is.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Systemized? No. Rev. Wright specifically indicates Cone's foundation of Black Liberation Theology's philosophy as the mission of Chicago's Trinity UCC. I provided a link to Rev. Wright's own words stating such. And we've all seen Cone's highly anti-White racist statements. They've been cited in multiple sources, including footnoted sources, none of which anyone has been able to disprove.

You just want to walk it back because it exposes Obama for the racist that he truly is.
Wrong.

Reverend Wright says systematized Black Liberation theology is the foundation for the church's vision statement.

Evidently, you never learned how to parse a sentence to actually break down the subject, verb, object, to get the key sentence down without adjunct phrasing.

The quote:

The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology.

The sentence can stand alone without the modifying participial phrase: "that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr James Cone's book...."

See: The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology.

That's a complete statement.

The information in the participial phrase only remarks on the beginnings of systematized liberation theology. It doesn't cite Cone's book as the only source for systematized liberation theology, or as the final source for systematized liberation theology. It only tells us that Cone's book was the first on the topic.

You are insisting that Cone is the only source. And that is clearly WRONG.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Wrong.
Not wrong. Rev. Wright himself points the finger at Cone's anti-White racism as the basis of Trinity UCC's mission. I've already provided the link to Wright's own words on such.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,039,390 times
I heard that his father was a Muslim Communist but that makes zero sense because Communists are atheists/secularists, he can't be a Muslim and be a Communist. Especially as Muslims were killed by the Soviet Union.

I also heard he was mentored by a Communist, but I don't think that was ever proven. He did have Van Jones in his administration, which scares the hell out me, because he is an actual communist. And the Church Obama went to was racist to the core.

I don't think Obama is a bad person, but I do think he is a bad leader and bad president. All I can say is that NO preside in the history of our country, has believed that the Constitution is severely flawed and it should be ignored, no other president has talked about '' wealth redistribution '' and '' income equality '', Marxist phrases to the very T! And no other president had racked up so much debt, or been more anti second amendment, or been more pro abortion,or more big Government bullying (Obamacare), or more pro secular, than any other president.

If Obama and the ones like him are the future of our nation, than we are surely in big trouble!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Not wrong. Rev. Wright himself points the finger at Cone's anti-White racism as the basis of Trinity UCC's mission. I've already provided the link to Wright's own words on such.
No, he doesn't. He merely points out that Cone's book was the first book on that topic. I've provided the exact quote as well. And I've broken it down for you. You've failed to break it down at all.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,834,294 times
Quote:

Rev Wright at the NPC in 2008.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/us...anted=all&_r=0

In the late 1960s, when Dr. James Cone's powerful books burst onto the scene, the term "black liberation theology" began to be used. I do not in any way disagree with Dr. Cone, nor do I in any way diminish the inimitable and incomparable contributions that he has made and that he continues to make to the field of theology. Jim, incidentally, is a personal friend of mine.

I call our faith tradition, however, the prophetic tradition of the black church, because I take its origins back past Jim Cone, past the sermons and songs of Africans in bondage in the transatlantic slave trade. I take it back past the problem of Western ideology and notions of white supremacy.

I take and trace the theology of the black church back to the prophets in the Hebrew Bible and to its last prophet, in my tradition, the one we call Jesus of Nazareth.

The prophetic tradition of the black church has its roots in Isaiah, the 61st chapter, where God says the prophet is to preach the gospel to the poor and to set at liberty those who are held captive. Liberating the captives also liberates who are holding them captive.
The prophetic theology of the black church has always seen and still sees all of God's children as sisters and brothers, equals who need reconciliation, who need to be reconciled as equals in order for us to walk together into the future which God has prepared for us.

Reconciliation does not mean that blacks become whites or whites become blacks and Hispanics become Asian or that Asians become Europeans.

Reconciliation means we embrace our individual rich histories, all of them. We retain who we are as persons of different cultures, while acknowledging that those of other cultures are not superior or inferior to us. They are just different from us.

We root out any teaching of superiority, inferiority, hatred, or prejudice.

And we recognize for the first time in modern history in the West that the other who stands before us with a different color of skin, a different texture of hair, different music, different preaching styles, and different dance moves, that other is one of God's children just as we are, no better, no worse, prone to error and in need of forgiveness, just as we are.

Only then will liberation, transformation, and reconciliation become realities and cease being ever elusive ideals.

Trinity UCC is not a white hating church. If it was it would not have remained within a predominately white denomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies