Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
No, the Jewish baker can call the Nazi a total scumbag and make him a cake that tastes like crap (and perhaps put a little real crap into it).

No, a Muslim market must serve everybody. They can serve what they want.

No shoes, no shirt does not discriminate against anybody.
Sure it can, the homeless for one. Just a thought....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Far as I am concerned they are. If my business is not taking tax dollars from the government, it's none of their business to tell me who I can refuse service too.
Think about that statement. Following your statement to it's conclusion you could refuse to serve Blacks,Asians,Mexicans or whatever group displeases you.

That's the problem with sweeping laws like the one proposed, the unintended consequences.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
apples=marriage
oranges=vending machine.
Neither I, nor the person whose post I responded to were talking about marriage! So all you did was create an argument of of whole cloth.

And besides, neither this thread, nor this issue is about marriage, it's about when and if a business can deny products or services to someone for simply being gay. So if you want to talk about gay marriage, find another thread.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If we couldn't sell goods or services to anyone who violated the Torah, my fellow Jewish people wouldn't dominate the jewelry/gold industry... and anyone who's been to NYC knows we do! That rule is not in the Bible, nor does it explicitly condemn homosexuality - the word doesn't even exist in Hebrew, but (some) modern Christians apparently think King James et al wrote the Bible's first edition. Not even close, lol.

As for our nation's "freedom of religion," that mostly just covers our freedom to worship, gather, and openly PRACTICE our religions. I don't consider selling goods to be a religious practice, in fact working or selling anything on the Sabbath is prohibited for observant Jews (and Christians?). You're all free to have a giant cross hanging over the door of your business, and you are also free to pray for a poor sinner's soul... heck, you are even free to quit that job if it "violates" your beliefs. But as long as you are working there, or running a public-serving business, you still have to follow the state's laws. Could you serve spoiled meats to customers if your religion believed it was safer? Or pee in the soup?

I'm a public librarian, and don't even have the right to deny entry to a neo-Nazi. Matter of fact, we had a few at my old library I'd help regularly - with a smile on my face, no less, as they were always very polite and respectful. It's my job, not synagogue, and they have the same rights to use the library as anyone else. Did they make my skin crawl? Absolutely, but my personal feelings do not trump their rights.
Aha! Well that explains something that I was puzzled about. When discussing the Bill here they said it did, among other things, change the Religious Freedom Act to include both the PRACTICE and OBSERVANCE of religion. Now I see how that would be necessary as just PRACTICE would not include overt discrimination against other people as a rule for most religions. Discrimination apparently falls under OBSERVANCE of religion legally speaking.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
In the wake of Brewer's veto,Tempe, Arizona passed a non-discrimination ordinance last night that protects gay persons. Tempe is the home of Arizona State University. That makes about 2.5 million Arizonans living in non-discrimination cities now. AZ is one of 29 states where it is legal to fire or otherwise discriminate against gay people on the basis of their being gay. As should be obvious, it will be a while before the conservatives in the state legislature change that, but we are moving forward on a city by city basis.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Far as I am concerned they are. If my business is not taking tax dollars from the government, it's none of their business to tell me who I can refuse service too.
Your Constitution trumps your concerns, does it not?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In the wake of Brewer's veto,Tempe, Arizona passed a non-discrimination ordinance last night that protects gay persons. Tempe is the home of Arizona State University. That makes about 2.5 million Arizonans living in non-discrimination cities now. AZ is one of 29 states where it is legal to fire or otherwise discriminate against gay people on the basis of their being gay. As should be obvious, it will be a while before the conservatives in the state legislature change that, but we are moving forward on a city by city basis.
It doesn't protect just gays, it protects all persons. Do you not see how far reaching and inclusive it is.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
She does not speak for all conservatives nor for all gay people.

The only "indoctrination" I see here is the one pushed by certain persons of faith who have convinced the author that they somehow can be "victims" when they open their businesses to people they do not like. Note that the "cake baker" analogy appears in this article! As soon as I saw that I knew what her point was going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Bruce
"The real target is the church and temple..."
Yeah sure lady.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
She does not speak for all conservatives nor for all gay people.

The only "indoctrination" I see here is the one pushed by certain persons of faith who have convinced the author that they somehow can be "victims" when they open their businesses to people they do not like. Note that the "cake baker" analogy appears in this article! As soon as I saw that I knew what her point was going to be.

I wonder why no uproar was raised against Bill Clinton when he signed a similar law that this law's wording came from?
I mean it's not like the wording is anything new or original right?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
its acknowledging sinful behavior.
What does religion have to do with secular politics?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
What does religion have to do with secular politics?
It determines right from wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies