Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
That's precisely what right and wrong is - what society makes it of it. Society is a lot more than just the religious bible thumpers shoving their lifestyles down everyone's throats and homosexual people coming out of the closet.

What's morally right here might be morally wrong in Japan, or Ukraine, or wherever else and vice verse.
So, then, it's what I said: there's nothing that is right, and nothing that is wrong. People justify what they do (for selfish or political reasons) by calling it "right". "Right" and "wrong" ought not be up to individual philosophies, ideaologies, or situational convenience.

No wonder the world is a mess.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So, then, it's what I said: there's nothing that is right, and nothing that is wrong. People justify what they do (for selfish or political reasons) by calling it "right". "Right" and "wrong" ought not be up to individual philosophies, ideaologies, or situational convenience.

No wonder the world is a mess.
Religion wouldn't help it either.

When a religion calls for another human being to be stoned to death for bedding a person of the same sex or the murder of another person just for getting a haircut then there's a issue with people relying on it to help them determine right from wrong.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You are giving examples of people using religion as a shield to justify their own personal desires for power and control over others
EXACT RIGHT!!!!!
Problem is, people do that with religion ALL THE TIME - and they ALWAYS WILL. That WHY religion should stay out of politics. Inevitably, as soon as religion enters politics, it begins to be used as that very "shield to justify their own personal disires for power and control over others". The ONLY way religion won't be used in that manner is for religion to stay out of politics all together.

Ken

Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Religion wouldn't help it either.

When a religion calls for another human being to be stoned to death for bedding a person of the same sex or the murder of another person just for getting a haircut then there's a issue with people relying on it to help them determine right from wrong.
I wasn't talking about religions still in the dark ages -- I don't know why extreme, backwards religions are always used to support these arguments -- and I'm not for a Theocracy. I was speaking in general terms about the validity (or lack thereof) of the concept of right and wrong when there is no standard against which to measure.
Our judicial system does have some foundation in the Ten Commandments, for example, with benefits to the society rather than harm.

And here we are talking about our culture and society, not the middle east (although there are those who would like to establish sharia in America).

Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Selling goods and services to gay people violates religion? Where was that in the Bible?
if it would help facilitate forbidden (homosexual) behavior (relations, or "Wedding")
Leviticus 19:14

there are many other problems like

renting a wedding hall for example same gender "wedding" would fall under
Leviticus 22:32

Old 03-07-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And now, thanks to this bill dying as it should, they aren't a discriminated class, either.

Why do conservatives have such a hard time with just being civilized, tolerant people? They always have to go out of their way to try to sow some hatred toward others different from themselves.
1. Abrahamic religions forbid homosexuality, condoning homosexuality and facilitating.
2. Selling a wedding cake is facilitating homosexuality
3. Being sued for following Abrahamic religions is evil
4. People have been sued around the country for following Abrahamic religions

the real question is
Why do Liberals have such a hard time with just being civilized, tolerant people? They always have to go out of their way to try to sow some hatred toward others different from themselves.

people like you have killed millions of people like me

Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Much ado about nothing.

Two men walk into a photography studio and want to hire a photographer for their wedding. The photographer does not discriminate, but politely says, "OK, but I have to let you know that I think homosexuality is a sin, and I am opposed to gay marriage."

So the two men walk out and find another photographer.

How hard was that? Did these idiots in Arizona really need to try to pass this stupid law when the above hypothetical conversation provides the same result?
more like

Two men walk into a photography studio and want to hire a photographer for their "wedding".

The photographer politely says, "I have to let you know that I think homosexuality is a sin, and I am opposed to gay "marriage".

The gays say so what, you going to photograph the "wedding"

The photographer says I can't

the gays sue him and try to close his business

Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
It certainly does not. It's saying they made a cake and sold it. Do Catholic bakers refuse cakes for weddings outside of the Catholic church, between a bride and groom who've been previously divorced? Or who have been living together unmarried, "in sin", and who have a child out of wedlock?

Worshiping other gods than the Jewish/Christian god is just as bad as gays or gay marriage, if not more so in the Bible. Since many Christians sincerely believe that non-Christians are going to Hell, why do Christian businesses persist in doing business with non-Christians, if they believe that doing business with them is consenting to sin? Hindus and Buddhists participate in idol-worship, in the eyes of Christians. So if what you're saying is true, Christian businesses should already have been clamoring for the right to refuse service to such people, long before gay marriage became a topic.

Using religion to cover for bigotry is ugly, but unfortunately has been commonplace, if not one of its prime reasons for existence. "God told me to do it" really gets people off the hook for their hate, doesn't it?
because there is a difference between not selling to a person and a not selling to a person for a forbidden use.

I would not sell livestock to someone who would slaughter it to idols
I would sell livestock to the same person who would slaughter it for lunch

I would not sell a cake to a man who is going for a same gender "wedding"
I would sell a cake to the same man who is going to use it for his graduation

this is a very simple concept to understand.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think that would go for any cake decoration you found too offensive. If you are Jewish and someone wants you to make a cake to celebrate Hitler's Final Solution Day, you should be allowed to say no thanks, find another bakery.
According to Judaism it's infinitely worse to bake a cake for a same gender "wedding" than "Hitler's Final Solution Day"

Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
more like

Two men walk into a photography studio and want to hire a photographer for their "wedding".

The photographer politely says, "I have to let you know that I think homosexuality is a sin, and I am opposed to gay "marriage".

The gays say so what, you going to photograph the "wedding"

The photographer says I can't

the gays sue him and try to close his business

And then the gay rights activists threaten and boycott to shut a business down, as they did with in the Oregon baker's wedding cake incident:

Gay rights groups launched protests and pickets outside the family’s store. They threatened wedding vendors who did business with the bakery. And the family’s children were the targets of death threats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies