Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,184,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
more like

Two men walk into a photography studio and want to hire a photographer for their "wedding".

The photographer politely says, "I have to let you know that I think homosexuality is a sin, and I am opposed to gay "marriage".

The gays say so what, you going to photograph the "wedding"

The photographer says I can't

the gays sue him and try to close his business
Yup. And that was the plan from the start.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,554,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If we couldn't sell goods or services to anyone who violated the Torah, my fellow Jewish people wouldn't dominate the jewelry/gold industry... and anyone who's been to NYC knows we do!
it's (in many cases) forbidden to sell jewelry if the jewelry/gold would be used to violate the Torah

Quote:
That rule is not in the Bible, nor does it explicitly condemn homosexuality
define the word homosexuality?
it condemns openly male homosexual relations
it also condemns female homosexual relations by exegesis

Quote:
the word doesn't even exist in Hebrew
that's because it Jewish tradition (like most of the rest of the world) doesn't accept the modern notion that homosexual desires are unique from heterosexual desires.
In short there are just forbidden/perverse desires, and allowed/positive desires
which is why there is also no word in hebrew for bestiality

Quote:
but (some) modern Christians apparently think King James et al wrote the Bible's first edition. Not even close, lol.
recorded Jewish tradition condemns men "marrying" males over 1,000 years before King James had the Bible translated

Quote:
As for our nation's "freedom of religion," that mostly just covers our freedom to worship, gather, and openly PRACTICE our religions. I don't consider selling goods to be a religious practice, in fact working or selling anything on the Sabbath is prohibited for observant Jews (and Christians?).
that's because you don't understand Jewish law
see the first Mishna of Meschtas Avodah Zarah

Quote:
You're all free to have a giant cross hanging over the door of your business, and you are also free to pray for a poor sinner's soul... heck, you are even free to quit that job if it "violates" your beliefs. But as long as you are working there, or running a public-serving business, you still have to follow the state's laws.
MY Jewish beliefs forbid helping a same gender "marriage"
by any chance are you descended from Pablo Christiani?

Quote:
Could you serve spoiled meats to customers if your religion believed it was safer? Or pee in the soup?
straw man argument if there ever was one

Quote:
I'm a public librarian, and don't even have the right to deny entry to a neo-Nazi. Matter of fact, we had a few at my old library I'd help regularly - with a smile on my face, no less, as they were always very polite and respectful. It's my job, not synagogue, and they have the same rights to use the library as anyone else. Did they make my skin crawl? Absolutely, but my personal feelings do not trump their rights.
I'm Jew no matter where I am, and I should act like a Jew no matter where I am, even if gay terrorists send me to a place like Auschwitz, for acting like a Jew.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The Spanish Inquisition was right?
The Salem Witch Trials were right?
The 30 Years War was right?
The troubles in Northern Ireland was/is right?
The Crusades were right?

Religion has nothing do with right and wrong.
It SHOULD have everything to do with right and wrong, but somehow it rarely seems to work out that way - rather it ends up being an excuse for one group of people to victimize another.
Religion has a TERRIBLE track record in regards to "determining right from wrong" - especially once it gets involved in the political/governmental arena.

Ken
secularism has a much worse record

Despite over a 1000 years of persecution at the hand of Christians and Muslims, Jews have suffered more in the past 100 years under the hands of Atheists, then the by persecution during the past 2000 years based on Christianity and Islam.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,313,993 times
Quote:
secularism has a much worse record

Despite over a 1000 years of persecution at the hand of Christians and Muslims, Jews have suffered more in the past 100 years under the hands of Atheists, then the by persecution during the past 2000 years based on Christianity and Islam.
It has nothing to do with whether secularism or religious-driven politics has the worst record. It has to do with the fact that political power struggles are a NASTY business and IF religion gets involved in such power struggles it becomes CONTAMINATED and becomes just as nasty too.

As I said, the ONLY way for religion to actually be about right and wrong (rather than about having power over other people) is for religion to stay out of political power struggles COMPLETELY - otherwise it gets dragged down into the mud with everyone else - and ends up committing the same kinds of horrendous atrocities and abuses that secular governments do, at which point religion has NOTHING do with right and wrong anymore.
Power corrupts - and absolute power corrupts absolutely - though the scale was smaller (improvements in technology makes it possible to kill people by the millions today) - the actions of the Borgia Popes were just as horrific as those of Adolph Hitler. The ONLY thing different is the SCALE - and the SCALE is bigger/faster for EVERYTHING today.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-07-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,313,993 times
Quote:
if it would help facilitate forbidden (homosexual) behavior (relations, or "Wedding")
Leviticus 19:14

there are many other problems like

renting a wedding hall for example same gender "wedding" would fall under
Leviticus 22:32
What does "You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:14) have do with have do with homosexuality?

What does "And you shall not profane my holy name, that I may be sanctified among the people of Israel. I am the LORD who sanctifies you" have to with renting a wedding hall for a gay wedding?

Who made YOU "the decider" of how the bible should be interpreted?

Ken

Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with whether secularism or religious-driven politics has the worst record. It has to do with the fact that political power struggles are a NASTY business and IF religion gets involved in such power struggles it becomes CONTAMINATED and becomes just as nasty too.

As I said, the ONLY way for religion to actually be about right and wrong (rather than about having power over other people) is for religion to stay out of political power struggles COMPLETELY - otherwise it gets dragged down into the mud with everyone else - and ends up committing the same kinds of horrendous atrocities and abuses that secular governments do, at which point religion has NOTHING do with right and wrong anymore.
Power corrupts - and absolute power corrupts absolutely - though the scale was smaller (improvements in technology makes it possible to kill people by the millions today) - the actions of the Borgia Popes were just as horrific as those of Adolph Hitler. The ONLY thing different is the SCALE - and the SCALE is bigger/faster for EVERYTHING today.

Ken
1. Rome killed over a million Jews
2. The country that Hitler killed the highest percentage of Jews was Lithuania, the technology that killed almost all of Lithuania Jews was not that advanced (mostly machine Guns).
3. The fact that your comparing the actions of the Borgia Popes to Hitler shows you know nothing about the subject at hand, Pope Alexander VI was by far the most moral pope in that era

Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,226,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yup. And that was the plan from the start.
Source? Proof? Provide both please, other wise stop spewing hot steam where it's not needed.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,226,526 times
Quote:
What does "You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:14) have do with have do with homosexuality?

What does "And you shall not profane my holy name, that I may be sanctified among the people of Israel. I am the LORD who sanctifies you" have to with renting a wedding hall for a gay wedding?

Ken
Apparently bible thumpers think they speak for "god" now or whatever fetish they're obsessed with these days.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
this verse forbids me to help someone sin. (this law is recorded throughout the entire corpus Jewish legal tradition)

Quote:
to have a same gender "wedding" inside a Jewish wedding hall would be classified as Chilul Hashem (which also has laws that are recorded )

Quote:
when God gave the Jewish people the bible he also gave us the interpretation known as the Oral Torah. In order to decide Jewish Law you have to be proficient in these interpretations.

Many Rabbis have publicly declared that even voting for candidates who support gay "rights" are forbidden due to both these verses.

RABBONIM MAINTAIN STANCE: It Is Forbidden to Fund, Support or Vote for Fidler » Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry
Quote:
It is therefore considered to be a great chillul Hashem and assur according to Torah law to vote for or to provide funding, campaign assistance, public recognition or any type of support to Councilman Lewis Fidler. To do so would amount to being mesayeia ovrei aveirah (abetting transgression of the Torah’s commandments).
some notes in brackets so you understand what's going on (the parentheses are in the original document)

It is therefore considered to be a great chillul Hashem [forbidden by verse 22:32] and assur [means forbidden] according to Torah law to vote for or to provide funding, campaign assistance, public recognition or any type of support to Councilman Lewis Fidler [who supported same gender "marriage"]. To do so would amount to being mesayeia ovrei aveirah (abetting transgression of the Torah’s commandments) [this is intricately connected to the verse 19:14].

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM

15,521 posts, read 10,483,166 times
I think that she did what was best for her state at this time. I don't see what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.