Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM

88,614 posts, read 44,334,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is what is being promoted with mixed ability classes.
I know. It's wrong, and worse, it's damaging. The recent Purdue shooting/stabbing is only one of the more recent manifestations of the damage.
Quote:
Most of the smart students don't want to pair up and don't want to become the "teacher.
Of course not. They want to learn.
Quote:
They get done and sit there waiting on the less skilled to catch up.
Yep, and it's a completely inexcusable waste of talent and ability in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You were NOT furthering your own knowledge, and your development of leadership skills was solely dependent on how willing a tutee is to being academically led by a peer and NOT a teacher.

There are ALL kinds of problems associated with education being implemented the way you describe, not the least of which is maladjustment of those who never had the opportunity to be challenged by their ability/skills peers.

We just saw this play out in the recent Purdue shooting/stabbing. Think carefully about how a professor described the shooter/stabber: Conflicting views of Ind. shooting suspect emerge

Cousins was bright but was never placed in an environment in which he was challenged by similarly bright peers until his experience in Purdue's challenging engineering program. We can all see how that turned out...
I have faced many challenges in life without violence even to sometimes having bosses who thought that the more degrees one had the more knowledgeable they were. I am the type person who challenges myself. It's in my blood and I don't know how to be any other way. How one uses knowledge is usually controlled more by morals. Violence accomplishes nothing. A person who has character will always sign their name when leaving uncomplimentary remarks on another posters rep. Cowards never do.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Neither did I until I got my first job at 16.
The OP must think that SS issued at birth is how it's always been.
Young and stupid would be my guess...

Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have faced many challenges in life without violence even to sometimes having bosses who thought that the more degrees one had the more knowledgeable they were. I am the type person who challenges myself. It's in my blood and I don't know how to be any other way. How one uses knowledge is usually controlled more by morals. Violence accomplishes nothing. A person who has character will always sign their name when leaving uncomplimentary remarks on another posters rep. Cowards never do.
No, a person with character will post in public, not via hidden rep comments.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I have faced many challenges...
Again... prima donna leftists... it's NOT about you. It's about the damaging impact to an entire society.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
No, a person with character will post in public, not via hidden rep comments.
Exactly! I got a nasty-gram, as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
But it's not about YOU though.

It's truly a shame to watch talented kids have to sit there in a class and wait on the less skilled to get caught up, if ever, before the teacher moves on.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this as well.

Also want to note that teachers in regards to reading levels need to be more active in ensuring proficiency. Too many times I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears attitudes from (mostly liberal) teachers that pity a young black boy and his circumstance so they don't expect him to read and achieve in other subjects on level.
It occurs more than you realize. And if the teacher does fail them the school board CAN promote them anyway at their last meeting. Social promotion trumps retention. And once they hit a certain age they MUST be promoted regardless of grades.

We had an 8th grader (13-14 age group) turn 16. He was promoted to HS regardless of his grades and he knew that so you can imagine what he was like that last year in 8th grade.

And I just recently subbed in HS with him in the class and he's going to end up doing the same thing and age out.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 AM

29,472 posts, read 16,335,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This isn't about you. It's about the poor and the minorities which Dems claim are too incompetent to acquire an ID, but then in the same breadth require an ID to acquire an SS card, social welfare benefits, and Obamacare.
I am poor and a minority, which was my point, Im the exact person you are claiming is being told im to incompetent, but the Dems arent the one doing it.

The only people i see calling minorities, liberals or anyone else lazy,incompetent or stupid are the Republicans and Conservatives on this forum.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM

13,769 posts, read 5,493,494 times
Quote:
But it's not about YOU though.

It's truly a shame to watch talented kids have to sit there in a class and wait on the less skilled to get caught up, if ever, before the teacher moves on.
But that's the guaranteed result of collectivism - regression to the lowest common denominator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies