Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times

Advertisements

You would probably consider me a liberal, and I don't hate Israel. I actually prefer it over its Muslim neighbors. That's not to say Israel hasn't done anything wrong or committed any crimes, but I definitely don't hate it. Perhaps you're confusing reasonable criticism with hatred?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps cognition has evolved beyond concrete, black and white, all or nothing thinking.
When I spend a few minutes on this forum, it really makes me question that. This place seems to attract the crazies.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,180 times
I don't think that criticizing Israel is always bad and/or hypocritical. I do think that it is hypocritical to criticize Israel for doing certain things (such as violating international law) while not criticizing other countries (such as the U.S.) for likewise doing these things.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Liberal hatred of Israel is hypocritical. Here's why.

Seeing how the American Jewish community vote overwhelmingly Democratic I would have to say this premise the thread is based upon is overwhelmingly stupid!!!!!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Ben Shapiro in the video link explains it perfectly. Everything that liberals claim to believe in, Israel practices.
Liberals don't, as a rule, believe in colonialism, imperialism and the devastation of indigenous populations--even socially backward populations.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,644 times
Default Left coast right coast

Good show, west coast repub. I'm an east coast dem but I thought Ben Shapiro was right on the money as well. Israel is the only democracy in the Mideast, has Jewish roots that far exceed Muslim roots, has killed far fewer Palestinians than Palestinians have, and continues to offer peace. Poll after poll indicates that Palestinians do not want peace but the overwhelming majority of Israelis do want peace. But then again, this isn't about Jews and Muslims. This is about Muslims and whomever is unfortunate enough to be their neighbors. Muslims don't do well with non-Muslim neighbors in Indonesia, The Sudan, India, or the Mideast. Gandhi couldn't make peace with the Muslims. Increasingly, the Parisians and Londoners are learning the same lesson. And as far as US aid, the US gives as much aid to Israel as it gives to Israel's enemies. Barack Obama would get a standing ovation in the Knesset (Israeli parliament) if he announced that he would ask congress to end aid to ALL mid eastern countries. But the military industrial complex would have a fit.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It's in America's vital interest to support and defend Israel but it is not in our interests to allow the likud party to create our foreign policy. Striking a deal with Iran was the best move we've made in the middle east in over half a century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's a group called J Street that is made up of Jewish-Americans who support the state of Israel but are against a lot of their policies like West Bank settlements. I know a lot of Jewish-Americans who feel the same way.
I agree that the USA has to decide on its own foreign policy based on what is best for the USA.

As for the Jewish-Americans if they want more say in Israel's policies, they are free to immigrate to Israel and become Israeli citizens and then they can vote in Israeli elections.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are we as Americans OBLIGATED to support Israel?

Per the Israel, Egypt, USA Treaty: Yes.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Spot on.

The evangelical crowd are far worse about this crap than any Americans Jew I've ever heard with the exception of those JDL idiots.

We're all supposed to following in lockstep or we're evil Nazis.

You mean ADL. JDL ceased to exist in the late 80's and were a creation of Meir Kahane (murdered). The ADL flames minute issues into front page news.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's a group called J Street that is made up of Jewish-Americans who support the state of Israel but are against a lot of their policies like West Bank settlements. I know a lot of Jewish-Americans who feel the same way.

Though at the same time, you can come on here and question Israel's policies or settlements and someone immedietely call you an "Anti-Semite". And it's usually certain right-wing (and often devoutly Christian) posters.
What seems to not make it into the news is that most of these settlements are being built on land that the JNF purchased previous to 1948. Nearly every Arab home that was built on those lands after 1949 have been bulldozed because it wasn't their land in the first place. Many Arabs say they purchased this land, but they purchased land from people who in reality no longer owned it (The same landowners who sold to the JNF also sold the same land to other Arabs after the armistice). Its sad that these Arabs have to lose their homes, but they need to go after the Arabs who sold it to them in the first place and not the Jews who are the actual owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies