Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know. Ask them.

Why do people go to the Lakers basketball game wearing Miami Heat's jersey? Well, maybe they are idiot, maybe they want to pick fight, maybe they like attention, or maybe Miami heat jersey is their only cloth to wear on that day. Who knows who cares?
Its the premise of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

And yes, they were indeed offended, you dont spontaneously start wearing that shirt on a daily basis. Something triggered it, and the article even tells you what, a Cinco de Mayo celebration.

What, in your opinion, should be the proper "punishment" for these students who chose to wear American flag t shirts then?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
What, in your opinion, should be the proper "punishment" for these students who chose to wear American flag t shirts then?
Immediate deportation to The United States.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Immediate deportation to The United States.
LOL haha brilliant.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Contradicted your entire argument in one run-on paragraph,LOL
How so? I believe I laid it out quite clearly. You're the one that made the ASSumption that I hated Mexicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Who cares what day they were the shirts? That's not the point. The point is people are being offended over the dumbest things and that people might cause physical harm over something so stupid as an American Flag T - Shirt!

I know Mexicans are not a race, I believe in only one race, the human race. However in general everyday life they are referred to as such, and there was nothing that implied he had a problem with or didn't like Mexicans.
Correct.

Quote:
That is the point.

Let me be clear, im not debating over what the judge did, that was stupid( and in my opinion just like others, unconstitutional), but this thread and your post specifically arent about that.

You and others are arguing about the fact that these Mexicans(citizens or not) wanted to celebrate this holiday and that they intern were pissed to see the american flag.

But you are missing the key points here, these students chose to were those American flags to antagonize these students, they were saying it is wrong for these students of mexican heritage to celebrate this holiday.
So what? Why are the Mexican kids allowed to be proud of their heritage, yet the American kids aren't? Since when did we as a country start catering to others?

Quote:
Why in the world is there so much controversy on everything?!?!?

Never thought people's clothing choice can cause such a reaction.
In PC America everyone is offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
They should be able to wear American flag shirts any day they want for any reason they want. This is America. If I lived in Mexico, I wouldn't be offended if people chose to purposefully wear Mexican flag shirts on July 4th. I have no special right to force everyone to recognize an American holiday in a foreign country. And I have no right to be offended that people are celebrating their own flag in their own country.

If the Mexican students can't contain themselves, they should be punished. And if they are illegal, they should be sent back to their home country where they can celebrate Cinco de Mayo in peace.
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Its not the fact that they wore the shirts, its when, where and why ?

for example, an "I love meat" shirt is fine to wear on a daily basis, but wear it to a vegetarian food fair and you might get some stares.
So what! Free speech. Free country. At least it's supposed to be.

Quote:
SOME (not all) of the Mexican students are offended by seeing American Flag shirts, so the school banned them out of fear that the Mexican students, being '' so offended '' by the sight of the American Flag on T - Shirts , might get violent against the students wearing such shirts.
As I said if one chooses to move to this country, and then turns around and gets offended by those who have already been here in the first place, and choose to get offended by us celebrating our patriotism, then perhaps the US isn't for them.

Quote:
But forcing somebody to remove that "I love meat" shirt = fake outrage raises its ugly head to me

I am not that easily offended.
Seriously. Some people need grow thicker skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Stupid judge, no argument there period.

Now for an argument along similar lines, just for comparison, St. Patricks Day is celebrated much more in the US than in Ireland, But on that day, people wear green, celebrate their Irish heritage and everyone pretty much has fun.

Now, my great-grandmother came from Scots-Irish stock which were Scottish people forceably moved to Northern Ireland after Prince Charlie's rebellion and the battle of Culloden in 1746.

The Scots were Protestant, the Irish Catholic. The British crown deposed the native Irish to move the Scots in. The reason it was done was so the Scots and the Irish would fight each other instead of the British.

Thus the rise of the Orangemen. The Protestant north Ireland, and the seperation and fighting continue to this day.

Even the Irish flag has Green and Orange seperated by a strip of White.

So, if I wear orange on St Patricks day in the US to celebrate my "Irish" heritage, am I being offensive?
No. On the other hand, would you be offended if on that day I chose to wear a shirt with an American flag?

Quote:
You just made my point for me.

The students who wore the American flag shirts seem to have been the ones who got offended. they wore those shirts because they disagreed with the mexican students plans.

Nothing illegally wrong with that, but it was antagonistic. I dont really understand why posters here dont see that.

As for that last part, is Cinco de Mayo a bad holiday, why cant they celebrate it in peace here ?
To the first point...again so what? As for the second point, why can't both heritages mutually celebrate? Or are we becoming the clothing police?

Quote:
It doesn't matter why, or when, or where they wore the shirts. They can wear them for any reason. I people find it offensive than screw them, they have deeper problems. This is AMERICA, and a stupid school and bully activist judge has no right to take away a person's freedom of speech, especially if it's an AMERICAN FLAG shirt. This is just ridiculous....
Indeed. We waste too much time on crap like this! How about warn that acts of violence will not be tolerated, and will be dealt with accordingly?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
This rulling is a assault on the 1st Amendment plain and simple!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Its not the fact that they wore the shirts, its when, where and why ?

for example, an "I love meat" shirt is fine to wear on a daily basis, but wear it to a vegetarian food fair and you might get some stares.
Except this is like wearing a "I love meat" shirt in a meat packing plant, and vegetarians making you take it off or they will beat you up.

They didn't go to Mexico and wear American flag shirts on Cinco.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
I really hope someone organizes a burning of Mexican flags this Cinco de Mayo.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
BBQ at your house? BYOB-bring your own burrito?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post

No. I don't think that is the answer either. Why stoop to that level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies