Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,116,416 times

Advertisements

"A church sign in New York City’s Harlem is warning black women to be on the lookout for a “white homo” trying to steal their man. “Obama has released the homo demons on the black man. Look out black woman. A white homo may take your man,” reads the marquee for ATLAH World Church at Lenox and 123rd."

Harlem church sign warns: Obama has released 'the homo demons' - Washington Times

I find the sign to be deplorable so that's not why I'm posting this. I can't seem to find the NY Times story on this. I did a search on "Harlem" and another on "homo" (because it's the word on the sign). Nothing on NY Times website.

Is it because it didn't happen in The South, it happened in NYC or is it because the NY Times is afraid to take sides on a Black vs Gay issue?

Other NYC media did stories. Here's one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1703032

Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,052,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A church sign in New York City’s Harlem is warning black women to be on the lookout for a “white homo” trying to steal their man. “Obama has released the homo demons on the black man. Look out black woman. A white homo may take your man,” reads the marquee for ATLAH World Church at Lenox and 123rd."

Harlem church sign warns: Obama has released 'the homo demons' - Washington Times

I find the sign to be deplorable so that's not why I'm posting this. I can't seem to find the NY Times story on this. I did a search on "Harlem" and another on "homo" (because it's the word on the sign). Nothing on NY Times website.

Is it because it didn't happen in The South, it happened in NYC or is it because the NY Times is afraid to take sides on a Black vs Gay issue?

Other NYC media did stories. Here's one:

Harlem pastor makes bizarre homophobic claim about president on church sign: 'Obama has released the homo demons on the black man' - NY Daily News
So if the New York Times had done a story on this, you would be satisfied?

Or would you start a thread asking 'why no outrage' from The Wall Street Journal, the Daily News, The New York Post, Newsday, The Korean Times, The Sing Tao Daily, the Staten Island Advance, etc?

It just strikes me as an odd pastime to find a story and then spend time seeing if a particular newspaper (which you obviously do not subscribe to) carried it.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,615 times
Wonder what it would of been like if we changed the races up on this ... Be a look out on a black homo , a black homo is trying to steal your man.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 65,980 times
I think black women have every reason to be concerned. There is already a very high number of black men who are incarcerated and when they leave prison they are often HIV infected and continue their practices of having sex with men, but they also have sex with women too. A lot of these guys knowingly pass on HIV to their wives and girlfriends. Surely this is a public health concern and yes, black women should be alert and aware.

According to the CDC, black men who engage in sex with other men, have the highest HIV rate in the country.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,052,864 times
You know what would make this an interesting thread?

LauraC, contact the NYT ombudsman (called public editor) at the New York Times, ask your question, and report back. That is what the ombudsman is for. It would be interesting to hear what the response is.

Link to help you out:

Margaret Sullivan - Public Editor

Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 AM

947 posts, read 1,468,664 times
This church is already well known for it's crazy pastor.Basically he is the black version of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,899,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC

No, it's because Pastor James Manning is a wacko (and a birther, but that's redundant). He once held a "trial" of President Obama in the basement of his church, pronounced him guilty of all kinds of things, and then walked around the block of Columbia University in a long white robe, carrying a shepherd's hook, trailed by a dozen or so other birthers, all of them yelling, "Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!" for an hour. This is not a joke. The man is seriously deranged. Do you think the New York Times should do stories on the garbage that every wacko in New York City spews?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 AM

54 posts, read 65,980 times
There will never be a massive coalition amongst gays and blacks, because black people are not a monolithic group. There are some blacks who engage in homosexuality, some who are indifferent to it and many who do not agree with homosexuality because it goes against their morals and values. It is not the person, but their actions that many find problematic.

Although in polite company some will not state that they abhor homosexuality, behind closed doors, this is the case and many agree with the words of the pastor, so there will never be widespread outrage from blacks on this particular issue.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 AM

29,623 posts, read 16,633,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
There will never be a massive coalition amongst gays and blacks, because black people are not a monolithic group. There are some blacks who engage in homosexuality, some who are indifferent to it and many who do not agree with homosexuality because it goes against their morals and values. It is not the person, but their actions that many find problematic.

Although in polite company some will not state that they abhor homosexuality, behind closed doors, this is the case and many agree with the words of the pastor, so there will never be widespread outrage from blacks on this particular issue.
um, why would black people as a whole have to answer for one idiot in the first place ?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 AM

29,623 posts, read 16,633,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Yea, because this didnt happen

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/sp...kers.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies