Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I agree. In 2011 and 2012, Planned Parenthood did more than 660,000 abortions. That is from their own annual reports.

And they received more than a half a billion dollars of federal funding during 2011-2012 as well. That includes both grants plus reimbursements from Medicaid plans.
And every woman who went to have that abortion considered the alternatives available to her, and decided that abortion was the best choice for her.

Planned Parenthood spent their federal funding on services besides abortion. They can prove it, because their bookkeeping is scrupulous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And every woman who went to have that abortion considered the alternatives available to her, and decided that abortion was the best choice for her.

Planned Parenthood spent their federal funding on services besides abortion. They can prove it, because their bookkeeping is scrupulous.
Again, if you give me $2 and tell me not to buy candy with it, but using your $2 to buy bread allows me to use my own $2 to buy candy, the effect is still that I now have candy.
I can also keep scrupulous records showing I didn't use your money for candy. I still have the candy.

It's a disingenuous argument.

And if you gave me more than $540,000,000 in 2 years, that would certainly free up my funds for a lot more things, now wouldn't it?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Again, if you give me $2 and tell me not to buy candy with it, but using your $2 to buy bread allows me to use my own $2 to buy candy, the effect is still that I now have candy.
I can also keep scrupulous records showing I didn't use your money for candy. I still got the candy.

It's a disingenuous argument.

And if you gave me more than $540,000,000 in 2 years, that would certainly free up my funds for a lot more things, now wouldn't it?
It's not a disingenuous argument.

No one is disputing that Planned Parenthood provides abortions. Abortions that are the BEST choices for the women choosing to have them. And no federal funds are paying for those abortions. Planned Parenthood provides a LOT of health services to men AND women. Services they might not be able to provide if they didn't have the funding.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
It's not a disingenuous argument.

No one is disputing that Planned Parenthood provides abortions. Abortions that are the BEST choices for the women choosing to have them. And no federal funds are paying for those abortions. Planned Parenthood provides a LOT of health services to men AND women. Services they might not be able to provide if they didn't have the funding.

You believe that all 660,000 abortions that they performed were by women who evaluated all their options and decided that abortion was the absolute best choice for them? Really? Every single one?

Then you've never seen a woman crying because her husband/boyfriend was going to leave her if she didn't have an abortion. You've never seen a teenager sobbing because her parents were going to kick her out if she didn't have an abortion. You've never seen a college student terrified because she wants to keep the baby but is too scared to tell her parents that she is pregnant.

You've never counseled women who lives were devastated after abortion and they turned to substance abuse or got into abusive relationships because they felt the didn't deserve anything better.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who felt like abortion was the best choice for them, but there are plenty of others who did not, but for a variety of reasons, had one anyway.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It's murder. At least try to be a little honest.
If you were being honest, you wouldn't be saying that. Murder is a legal term defined as the illegal intentional killing of a human being. Legally, a human being doesn't exist until birth. Otherwise, we would have death certificates and funerals for miscarriages. Therefore, by definition, it is impossible for an abortion to be murder.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That 3% figure has to be among the greatest statistical garbage numbers ever used in political or social policy debate.
And yet, you're willing to accept all the other figures supplied by Planned Parenthood without question. Hmmm. Pick and choose which facts to accept and which to ignore.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
You believe that all 660,000 abortions that they performed were by women who evaluated all their options and decided that abortion was the absolute best choice for them? Really? Every single one?

Then you've never seen a woman crying because her husband/boyfriend was going to leave her if she didn't have an abortion. You've never seen a teenager sobbing because her parents were going to kick her out if she didn't have an abortion. You've never seen a college student terrified because she wants to keep the baby but is too scared to tell her parents that she is pregnant.

You've never counseled women who lives were devastated after abortion and they turned to substance abuse or got into abusive relationships because they felt the didn't deserve anything better.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who felt like abortion was the best choice for them, but there are plenty of others who did not, but for a variety of reasons, had one anyway.

having an abortion is never easy. even if you feel it is the right thing to do. you are decribing the turmoil that comes with unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. because a percentage of women experience regret or felt pressured is no reason to defund planned parenthood or make abortion harder to obtain.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Yes. Every single one.

As for your woman crying, she's the one who gets to make the decision. Don't strip her of her power. SHE decides that the abortion is preferable to the alternative. SHE DECIDES.

I've counseled plenty of women. And many who were devastated by an abortion. Abortions are terrible things. But the majority of those women would have been devastated by the alternative as well. And as devastating as the abortion was, they'd do it again. YOUR own statistics prove that. They'd do it again. And part of the healing process is about not treating these women as victims. They're not victims. They are thoughtful, smart, responsible, capable, moral women, thinking about what they want from life, thinking about how an unwanted pregnancy would impact their life, both short-term and long-term, and after weighing their options choosing what's BEST for them. Some women choose to have their babies and keep them. Some women choose to have their babies and put them up for adoption. Some women choose abortion. Respect for all women begins with respecting the decisions women make. You belittle women when you pretend that the woman didn't make this decision, that her husband/boyfriend/parents made the decision for her. She has the final say-so. She may be heartbroken over the options she has, but they are HER options. SHE DECIDES.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yes. Every single one.

As for your woman crying, she's the one who gets to make the decision. Don't strip her of her power. SHE decides that the abortion is preferable to the alternative. SHE DECIDES.

I've counseled plenty of women. And many who were devastated by an abortion. Abortions are terrible things. But the majority of those women would have been devastated by the alternative as well. And as devastating as the abortion was, they'd do it again. YOUR own statistics prove that. They'd do it again. And part of the healing process is about not treating these women as victims. They're not victims. They are thoughtful, smart, responsible, capable, moral women, thinking about what they want from life, thinking about how an unwanted pregnancy would impact their life, both short-term and long-term, and after weighing their options choosing what's BEST for them. Some women choose to have their babies and keep them. Some women choose to have their babies and put them up for adoption. Some women choose abortion. Respect for all women begins with respecting the decisions women make. You belittle women when you pretend that the woman didn't make this decision, that her husband/boyfriend/parents made the decision for her. She has the final say-so. She may be heartbroken over the options she has, but they are HER options. SHE DECIDES.

People make poor choices all the time. They choose things that they know are not the best options for a variety of reasons. To say that everyone who had one of the 660,000 abortions made the best choice for them is absurd.
If people only chose the best what was best for them, there would be no fast food chains.

Saying every one of the 660,000+ abortions performed were the very best option for those people is irrational.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
People make poor choices all the time. They choose things that they know are not the best options for a variety of reasons. To say that everyone who had one of the 660,000 abortions made the best choice for them is absurd.
If people only chose the best what was best for them, there would be no fast food chains.

Saying every one of the 660,000+ abortions performed were the very best option for those people is irrational.
Actually, what's irrational and absurd is you judging the reasoning for those abortions on the presumption that they're any of your business. They aren't. Therefore, you have no place to judge them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies