Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,390,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
We all know that Planned Parenthood is a government funded organization. Our tax money is used to keep this abortion outfit afloat. Yet they, as a recipient of federal funds, is still allowed to donate to political campaigns? Is this legal?

Planned Parenthood plots largest-ever campaign blitz in 2014 | Fox News
Yes of course, all that big money in abortions. LOL

Most of these right wing politicians defeat themselves making dumb laws aimed at planned parenthood, no need for PP donors to waste money on campaigning against these fools.

Quote:
Lila Rose, president and founder of anti-abortion group Live Action, said
Planned Parenthood's plans to spend millions on the elections should fuel calls
to strip taxpayer funding for the group.

"There are no winners, except those making money by selling abortions,
when Big Abortion leader Planned Parenthood pours millions into America's
elections," she said in a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,964,020 times
Quote:
We all know that Planned Parenthood is a government funded organization. Our tax money is used to keep this abortion outfit afloat. Yet they, as a recipient of federal funds, is still allowed to donate to political campaigns? Is this legal?

Planned Parenthood plots largest-ever campaign blitz in 2014 | Fox News
They also receive substantial private donations. I've donated myself. And they charge for their services, as well, on a sliding scale depending on a patient's means.

Because of the numerous restrictions on federal money, and on campaign funding, Planned Parenthood is scrupulous about accounting for its sources of income, and where that income is directed. So, yes, they do an outstanding job of legally tracking and accounting income and expenditures.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,746,416 times
I love the "Planned Parenthood keeps the money separate" argument.

If I have $5 and need to buy milk and bread, but also want candy, I will have to choose. So I decide to buy milk and bread since candy has no nutritional value. Before I leave for the store, someone who knows I'm short on money offers to give me $2, but says they don't want me to spend it on candy. So I go to the store and use their $2 for bread, and then my $5 for milk and candy.

I kept the money separate, so they didn't fund my candy, right? But I wouldn't have been able to buy candy without their money. That's the same as this "PP doesn't use federal dollars to fund abortions" argument.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I love the "Planned Parenthood keeps the money separate" argument.

If I have $5 and need to buy milk and bread, but also want candy, I will have to choose. So I decide to buy milk and bread since candy has no nutritional value. Before I leave for the store, someone who knows I'm short on money offers to give me $2, but says they don't want me to spend it on candy. So I go to the store and use their $2 for bread, and then my $5 for milk and candy.

I kept the money separate, so they didn't fund my candy, right? But I wouldn't have been able to buy candy without their money. That's the same as this "PP doesn't use federal dollars to fund abortions" argument.
I'm glad you love that argument.

Because the laws are specific, and Planned Parenthood scrupulously obeys the law, and they can prove it.

Many women seeking abortions pay for those abortions themselves. And in the cases where they are financially unable to do so, I hope my donations to Planned Parenthood are used to provide health services, including abortion, to these women. If they cannot afford an abortion, they cannot afford to be pregnant, which is much more expensive.

Since you are opposed to abortion, I would hope that you are making even more generous donations of your own to help pay the costs for other women's pregnancies.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm glad you love that argument.

Because the laws are specific, and Planned Parenthood scrupulously obeys the law, and they can prove it.

Many women seeking abortions pay for those abortions themselves. And in the cases where they are financially unable to do so, I hope my donations to Planned Parenthood are used to provide health services, including abortion, to these women. If they cannot afford an abortion, they cannot afford to be pregnant, which is much more expensive.

Since you are opposed to abortion, I would hope that you are making even more generous donations of your own to help pay the costs for other women's pregnancies.
I donate to crisis pregnancy centers, food banks, homeless missions, and lots of other places that help people of all ages with a variety of needs. I care about people. My sister worked for a crisis pregnancy center for many years. I've seen first hand the devastation of many women who have had abortions. It doesn't just hurt the baby.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I donate to crisis pregnancy centers, food banks, homeless missions, and lots of other places that help people of all ages with a variety of needs. I care about people. My sister worked for a crisis pregnancy center for many years. I've seen first hand the devastation of many women who have had abortions. It doesn't just hurt the baby.
And having an unwanted baby hurts women and babies, too.

I applaud your charitable efforts. I'm glad you care about people. But if you want to reduce the number of abortions, attack the reasons why women even consider abortion, never mind choose it as the preferable option. Hint: women aren't irresponsible, immoral, or stupid. Most women seeking abortions already have children, so they know exactly how precious a child's life is. They are making the best choice for themselves and their families. So, instead of blaming these women, figure out why it's their best choice, and work on the problems they have to deal with, so that a different choice becomes the better choice.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,776,165 times
Quote:
Yes Grsz11, you really think its okay for a government entity like Planned Parenthood to donate money to campaigns? Especially given that Planned Parenthood is a government funded organization. I guess it is the official government abortion service, vs individual abortion doctors.
Planned Parenthood receives grants and contract funding from the federal government that make up about 1/3 of their budget. Absolutely none of that money is used to provide abortion services.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,776,165 times
Quote:
Defense contractors are paid for their contracts. The government basically pays them to do a job. Planned Parenthood is an abortion center that does not officially receive government contracts.
Abortions are only 3% of the work that Planned Parenthood does.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And having an unwanted baby hurts women and babies, too.

I applaud your charitable efforts. I'm glad you care about people. But if you want to reduce the number of abortions, attack the reasons why women even consider abortion, never mind choose it as the preferable option. Hint: women aren't irresponsible, immoral, or stupid. Most women seeking abortions already have children, so they know exactly how precious a child's life is. They are making the best choice for themselves and their families. So, instead of blaming these women, figure out why it's their best choice, and work on the problems they have to deal with, so that a different choice becomes the better choice.
Not sure why you are giving me "hints." I never said women are irresponsible, immoral, or stupid. Many women are pressured by partners or parents to have abortions.

Most women having abortions are unmarried (84%) and under the age of 29(73%).

About half have had previous live births. And about half have had previous abortions. 8% of women seeking abortions have already had 3 or more abortions.

All stats straight from the CDC.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you are giving me "hints." I never said women are irresponsible, immoral, or stupid. Many women are pressured by partners or parents to have abortions.

Most women having abortions are unmarried (84%) and under the age of 29(73%).

About half have had previous live births. And about half have had previous abortions. 8% of women seeking abortions have already had 3 or more abortions.

All stats straight from the CDC.
Because the right-to-life movement bases it's arguments on the premises that women are irresponsible, immoral, or stupid. That's how they blame women who have abortions. A woman who chooses an abortion is always at least one of the three. Because from their perspective, abortion is ALWAYS the wrong choice. So the person making that wrong choice must be flawed in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies