Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Oh lookee - Republicans again slapping Veterans in the face. Awesome.

Democrats need to get their act together and put forth bills that have concrete details about when a program will begin, how it will be funded, and when it will end.
Pssstttttt...dems also voted against it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
All those Dems that voted FOR this supported the use of an off budget slush fund with no spending cap to finance this.

Off budget or on budget that's OUR money and no spending cap is beyond belief when it comes to government programs.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Why did Reid block discussion and amendments to the bill ?

Seems like that would result in a Favorable compromise.
Must be my way or no way to Reid.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The US Senate today fell for votes short of closure on a bill that would have offered much needed expansion of veterans benefits:

REPUBLICANS DERAIL SENATE VETS BILL | POLITICO

Just two GOP senators voted with the Dems. The bill got 56 votes, but 60 were needed to allow it to proceed.

Why would the GOP vote en mass to BLOCK A VETERANS BENEFITS BILL???

Because they wanted to insert an amendment on new sanctions for Iran, a vote with the potential to cause trouble for Obama's FP efforts, and the Dem leadership wouldn't let them.

So, unless the GOP is allowed to try to embarrass the president, they are going to sit on their hands, AND SCREW THE VETS???

I'd say "Shame!", but hey, this is the GOP were talking about here... no shame.
This is partly correct - the Comprehensive Veteran's Bill did fail, an amendment was offered on Sanctions for Iran which was not voted on at all. Reid doesn't allow votes like that.

The Bill failed because it was not paid for - the vote was over the Budget, not over Sanctions.
Quote:
And on Thursday, Democrats came up four votes short of the 60 needed to keep the bill moving forward on a procedural budget vote, 56-41.
Not all Veterans Groups were in favor of this Comprehensive Bill (I'm not in favor of ANY "comprehensive bill" after seeing what the clowns did with TARP, the Stimulus Bill & ObamaCare.)
Quote:
At this point, GOP senators are mostly focusing their concerns on the terms of the debate. If Reid doesn't allow for an ample number of amendments, they say they're prepared to vote no.
"I think I have as good a knowledge of veterans issues as Senator Sanders does, so therefore, I think I should be able to debate and amend as I choose to do so," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. "If Senator Reid blocks that ability, then I'm not conducive to allowing just a rubberstamp to take place."
Among the major veteran groups, the biggest holdout is American Veterans, which fears that adding more veterans to the VA's health care and benefit rolls will worsen care and services for those already in the system. VA health care is generally reserved for those with service-connected disabilities and those with very low incomes.
The bill would open VA health care to uninsured veterans with no service-connected disability
I expect a lot more of these Christmas Tree bills from Harry Reid. He will bring bills that sound wonderful for everyone in an election year - BUT, they won't be paid for. Expect the GOP to stick to the Budget that has been passed. Sec 901 was to repeal the Budget limit so this 21 Billion dollar bill could pass. The GOP said NO, not until you find the money to pay for it.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The link is there to the roll call vote. What Dems voted against it??

Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The US Senate today fell for votes short of closure on a bill that would have offered much needed expansion of veterans benefits:

REPUBLICANS DERAIL SENATE VETS BILL | POLITICO

Just two GOP senators voted with the Dems. The bill got 56 votes, but 60 were needed to allow it to proceed.

Why would the GOP vote en mass to BLOCK A VETERANS BENEFITS BILL???

Because they wanted to insert an amendment on new sanctions for Iran, a vote with the potential to cause trouble for Obama's FP efforts, and the Dem leadership wouldn't let them.

So, unless the GOP is allowed to try to embarrass the president, they are going to sit on their hands, AND SCREW THE VETS???

I'd say "Shame!", but hey, this is the GOP were talking about here... no shame.
I'm starting to favor voting down all of these so called "comprehensive" bills, because so many are just an excuse to spend money and expand government, or buy votes and favors with pork for special interests projects and handout taxpayer money to political and corporate cronies.

The price tag on this bill is huge, is this $24 billion in additional spending???

When dems vote against a bill the folks at Politico go right down the line, piece by piece detailing why the bill was so poorly written that no one should vote for it. But as usual the critics at Politico or the NYT, or LA Times don't do the same reporting when repubs vote against a bill.

To expand on the Heritage Action group, mentioned in the OP's link, here is what they said:

The $24 billion package would create at least 15 new government programs and would extend VA services to all veterans, even if their injuries are not related to their service. This increased eligibility would prevent those truly in need from obtaining the assistance they need through the VA.

It seems like there is more to this bill then we are seeing, especially when Republicans vote down a bill that is ostensibly of benefit to veterans.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Damn, talk about getting stuff completely wrong.... I damn sure jacked that up....

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, not denying that...but lets say that 45 repubs voted "nay." the were 4 short of 60....

Did any dems vote against it?

I knew this would be hard for some...
Quote:
From the OPs link

Who were the 41 and were they all repubs...LOL....
Quote:
So, it was all the repubs?

LOL...53 dem senators and 45 repub senators....

They were 4 votes short....so all dems voted for it....

I know this will be hard, but think about it....go ahead....if you are honest with yourself...

Even if ALL the repubs voted against it...well you figure it out...

LOL...what a waste of a thread....

Last edited by chucksnee; 02-28-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
You clearly didn't read my post then because I never stated the contrary. I know Democrats voted against it - which is why I stated that Democrats need to put more vocabulary in the literature that defines when things will start, end, and how it will be funded.

Please understand the concept of reading comprehension before trying to call foul on something that clearly isn't.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:

I know this will be hard, but think about it....go ahead....if you are honest with yourself...

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) moved Wednesday night to cut off debate on the bill and blocked consideration of amendments, including one on Iran sanctions demanded by Republicans. And on Thursday, Democrats came up four votes short of the 60 needed to keep the bill moving forward on a procedural budget vote.

Hmm. I wonder how many bills ole' HARRY HAS LET AMENDMENTS BY HIS FELLOW DEMS be allowed.

And I am SURE each amendment was associated with the primary bill.

I read somewhere that ole' harry has ONLY allowed 4 repub amendment since last July.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You clearly didn't read my post then because I never stated the contrary. I know Democrats voted against it - which is why I stated that Democrats need to put more vocabulary in the literature that defines when things will start, end, and how it will be funded.

Please understand the concept of reading comprehension before trying to call foul on something that clearly isn't.
Yes, lets talk reading and reading comprehension:

The post just abouve your.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Damn, talk about getting stuff completely wrong.... I damn sure jacked that up....

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, not denying that...but lets say that 45 repubs voted "nay." the were 4 short of 60....

Did any dems vote against it?

I knew this would be hard for some...
Quote:
From the OPs link

Who were the 41 and were they all repubs...LOL....
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies