Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The public schools get EXTRA money via Title I and have for decades and are still producing dismal scores.
The money follows the child.

Parents that give a damn are enrolling their children in charters.
They can't afford private schools and this is a viable alternative for them.

The high passing rate proves that some of these charters are working.
The kids going to those schools come from families that CARE about their education.
What's left in the public schools are the ones that will fail anyway so why drag all of them down ?

The sad thing is that in public schools you cannot remove the chronic disrupters, you cannot segregate them and so you spend much of your teaching time on behavior management of a few bad apples.

That's the problem..the chronic, ill behaved disrupters that are scattered throughout the classes.
Bottom up. Not top down. That is the problem with public schools. You only can learn as much as the lowest as they have to be brought along. Yes I feel for you as that must be very frustrating. I had to do it coaching the kids in sports too.......lol. Some whacko screams at me why his daughter never plays and I scream back maybe if you taught her how to dribble she would.........lol. What is wrong with parents today is my question? My Lord what is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So by weakening the schools by removing the best and brightest allows you to weaken the system because of chronic,ill behaved disrupters.

The idea was to insert the bad student to try and raise their standards. Never liked that idea. Weakened the overall school. Allowed for the cherry picking based on test results. Liked Honor classes and classes determined by grade level to keep interest of student.

The problem then becomes finding teachers to work the classes where results on testing do not compare with top classes. Under the newest ideas to give teachers more earning based on test results will leave those students at the bottom with no one to teach them.
That's now how it happens in the real world.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
His son has an Afro! He must be cool!
DeBlasio popularity went up over Quinn, only after he brought his family into the picture.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Some of these charter schools that were closing were fairly high performers. Now Governor Cuomo indicates he will provide state funding to charter schools to prevent closing.

The under current is the teachers unions, charter schools make a fraction of public schools. DeBlasio very pro-union, Cuomo not so much. Some feel that charter schools are a trend that will change the system, take away jobs.

The response of some educators is that we are not providing enough funding to school districts through out the sate, really. I guess over $20,000 per student, the highest cost in the world isn't enough, couldn't be a problem with the system.

Quote:
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Increased class sizes and staff cuts despite higher
enrollments in 14 school districts across the state show New York is failing to
adequately fund public education, advocates and lawmakers said Monday.

The Alliance for Quality Education and Campaign for Fiscal Equity said their
representatives toured 14 school districts and found the state is failing to
provide the "sound, basic education" required by a 2006 court ruling in a
lawsuit over funding New York City's schools.

Advocates says NY schools tour shows funding lack - Education Week

Quote:
At Success Academy Harlem 4, which was denied space to expand its middle
school grades, 55 percent of students passed English exams last year, according
to city data, and 83 percent of students passed math exams, far above city
averages.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/ny...aces.html?_r=0

Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Oh, I think the student's performance is all of the "accountability" necessary. Moskowitz's students perform, actually outperform the schools that are all about accountability - the public 'teacher union' schools. How else does one explain that this past year saw 17,000 lottery participants for 2,000 slots at the Success Academy?

Besides, charter schools are public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Public schools should be all public, none of this wishy washy pseudo-private charter junk. Why are tax dollars being spent to send kids to what amounts to private school with no real accountability? New York may operate a bit differently from Georgia, but from what I'm reading, not by much. I wonder how many deserving students don't meet the high standards of these schools and get left behind because all the resources go to these schools and the public schools get even worse?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lest there be any doubt for radical liberals ideology always trump reality or results.They really don't care about the people they claim to care about.

De Blasio starts his war on charter schools | New York Post
NYC gets what they voted for worse education for kids

Old 03-05-2014, 06:21 AM

You have yet to support a 'dang' thing you have posted. Just ideological grenades. How about you support your contentions. Otherwise, pffft!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Gee public education seemed to work well before those that keep continually saying how it doesn't work decided to run for office and well lookie here !! now it is in fact failing why is that ? Why is that a certain group of people who continually say nothing works than when they finally get the chance to do some bit of good about it do nothing or worse ruin it ! Why is that ? Government works but not when we have nothing but blockheads who are paid for by corporations and special intereest groups

Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM

So, Nat, why should the majority be sacrificed for the few? Second question; what is it that is different between public charter school teachers and the union public school teachers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So who is to educate the mentally challenged. Do you have any idea what teachers have to do. No, you obviously dont.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
So, Nat, why should the majority be sacrificed for the few? Second question; what is it that is different between public charter school teachers and the union public school teachers?

I'm not Nat because will add my 2 cents.

The teachers who are employed by the Success Academy Schools make 30 % more than their counterparts in non- charter schools. They also work substantially more hours, including weekends. They tend to be young and right out of school.

Parents who seek to register their children in one of the Success Academy Schools are required to make a substantial time commitment towards their children's education. And when parents follow-through with this commitment, it makes a huge difference in outcomes. The 5th grade Math scores at one Success Academy School in Harlem, where the disadvantaged students have been enrolled since pre-school are best in state, including the Scarsdale schools where the students tend to have every advantage that money can buy.

Having said this, excluding students with special and ESL needs from charter school lotteries, skews some of the results.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

I'm not Nat because will add my 2 cents.

The teachers who are employed by the Success Academy Schools make 30 % more than their counterparts in non- charter schools. They also work substantially more hours, including weekends. They tend to be young and right out of school.

Parents who seek to register their children in one of the Success Academy Schools are required to make a substantial time commitment towards their children's education. And when parents follow-through with this commitment, it makes a huge difference in outcomes. The 5th grade Math scores at one Success Academy School in Harlem, where the disadvantaged students have been enrolled since pre-school are best in state, including the Scarsdale schools where the students tend to have every advantage that money can buy.

Having said this, excluding students with special and ESL needs from charter school lotteries, skews some of the results.
Special needs and ESL should be treated differently and scores kept separate.
Both require different types of education by teachers with specializations.
And it can be years until they catch up, if ever.
Yet the DOE wants schools to treat them on par with all other students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies