Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

people segregate themselves? so what. what is the premise of this poll? this is just more garbage white guilt bs

Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most people prefer to be around their own kind, whether we're talking about race, income, religion, or any other status. There are cultural and historical differences between groups of people, not to mention differences in genetics. I think it's highly ignorant to suggest that racism is the primary motivator in choosing who we choose to associate with.

But even if some people (of any color) are "racist" - so what? I think being racially aware and realistic is completely natural. It's healthy and good to want to associate with and protect your own kind.
Exactly, it is human nature to identify with and associate with those you share a cultural bond with and a common language. There is nothing inherently racist about that just as long as we all respect the laws of this country and don't put our group above them, don't think our group is superior to others and that we have the best interests of this country and its citizens as a whole at heart. The guilty ones know who you are.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No idea.

I do know that if I don't learn how to operate around whites it will not do me much good. Isn't it silly if I whine about encountering problems if I didn't stop to think about how they think and operate?

Now suppose I told you that I behaved as I do in the Caribbean, and blamed whites if the consequences of this weren't quite positive?

And for that matter American blacks think and act different from Caribbean blacks so I had to learn about them too.

You aren't color blind so don't even go there. I am very familiar with many of your posts. If you insist other wise I will tell you to take a stroll around Rosedale, NY tomorrow, and that's a community of middle class home owning Caribbean and American blacks. Step into one of the churches there, and don't bring any of your friends.

I am always amused by people who insist that they aren't color blind, but suddenly become very fixated when any discussion focuses on being put into a majority black environment where they know no one.
You think whites don't need to learn how to operate in a professional setting? That's all it is -- there is a professional dress code for example. A black might need to get pants that aren't sagging off his butt but a white might have to replace the jeans and t-shirt. Whites in a more formal setting also wonder which is the salad fork and they might also look around and see people putting napkins on their laps instead on the top of their shirts.

I think you are somewhat racist to assume that suits and ties and professional settings are more suited to whites than to other races and ethnic groups.

That's like a white thinking that in order to act black they have to learn gangsta rap movements and crotch grabbing. That's why the Carribean blacks have an advantage. You don't see people from Barbados as uncomfortable in professional attire or thinking they feel like that is for whites.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I just didn't think it was possible for a white person not to have any black friends. I mean where they work can't be 100% white can it?

Then you have all kinds of online discussion groups. Just didn't think it was possible

Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why does the race matter if you aren't fixated on race? You tell me that race doesn't matter but then insist that I perform analysis using race as the SOLE criteria.

Isn't that very race fixated of you?
I seriously doubt that many people use race as the SOLE criteria.

When you yourself encounter a group of black youth in full gang garb and making gang signs, you're going to react differently than when you encounter a group of black youth in crisp white shirts, ties, and dress pants, holding Bibles. And if you see a group in camoflage military garb, you probably are only semi-aware of race at all.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I just didn't think it was possible for a white person not to have any black friends. I mean where they work can't be 100% white can it?

Then you have all kinds of online discussion groups. Just didn't think it was possible
Like someone pointed out a number of posts ago -- what definition of "friends" is being used? You can get along well with co-workers but still not be close enough to take a camping trip with them.

Last edited by malamute; 03-02-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You think whites don't need to learn how to operate in a professional setting? That's all it is -- there is a professional dress code for example. A black might need to get pants that aren't sagging off his butt but a white might have to replace the jeans and t-shirt. Whites in a more formal setting also wonder which is the salad fork and they might also look around and see people putting napkins on their laps instead on the top of their shirts.

I think you are somewhat racist to assume that suits and ties and professional settings are more suited to whites than to other races and ethnic groups.

That's like a white thinking that in order to act black they have to learn gangsta rap movements and crotch grabbing. That's why the Carribean blacks have an advantage. You don't see people from Barbados as uncomfortable in professional attire or thinking they feel like that is for whites.

I'm black and when I see black men in hoodies I become defensive because I feel they are undercover criminals.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:

It all depends upon where you live. In the factory I work in there are 2800 employees. In the last 20 years there have been exactly 4 blacks among the technician ranks. 3 quit, didn't like 12 hour swing shift. A man I call friend and a vet rose quickly to the top of the Tech ranks and then went on to become a manager. So yes it is possible.
Managers and techs typically don't mingle outside of work. My friend as per company policy had to relocate to a different site. Currently out of 2,800 employees we have no black Techs. We haven't hired in 2 years so it is subject to change.
They have tried to hire blacks, in fact any minority. The area I live in just doesn't have many minorities.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It all depends upon where you live. In the factory I work in there are 2800 employees. In the last 20 years there have been exactly 4 blacks among the technician ranks. 3 quit, didn't like 12 hour swing shift. A man I call friend and a vet rose quickly to the top of the Tech ranks and then went on to become a manager. So yes it is possible.
Managers and techs typically don't mingle outside of work. My friend as per company policy had to relocate to a different site. Currently out of 2,800 employees we have no black Techs. We haven't hired in 2 years so it is subject to change.
They have tried to hire blacks, in fact any minority. The area I live in just doesn't have many minorities.

But blacks exist everywhere so I still find it shocking

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
But blacks exist everywhere so I still find it shocking
But they also segregate. There are nightclubs where 99% of the customers are black. Since they can't be in two places at the same time, they can't be trying to associate with whites and making friends in a redneck bar or country music nightclub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies