Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most Nigerians who go to the US already belong to the educated elite and have connections before they get there, they are not the average Nigerians.
Plus, immigrants are usually ambitious people, else they would stay at home in the first place. I.e. they are not the average Nigerians in this respect, either.
There is a considerable brain drain out of Africa, unfortunately, because of the nationalist egoism in Western countries.
This was debunked earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This was debunked earlier in this thread.
I don't think so. How could it be?
Nigeria is not a country from which asylum seekers are accepted. It is a very poor country where the vast majority couldn't even pay for the flight to the US, let alone college etc. Nor are the vast majority of Nigerians qualified enough to be wanted and thus allowed in by the US.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post

Government workers:

Asian: 11.5%
Nigerian: 16.2%

And this is of interest. Clearly engineers and others will have higher salaries in the private than in the public sectors. Nigerians tend to be in engineering, healthcare, accounting or finance. In all cases the private sector salaries are higher than the public sector. We arent talking about clerical level, or unionized workers, where there may be some advantage in the public sector.

So more Nigerians are forced into the less advantageous public sector because of bias that they face in the private sector.

Median household income is a better measure than individual male and female incomes. The latter measures only those who have a job. The median huusehold takes into account every person, econopmically active or not. Nigerians are way behind Indians, and even behind other Asian groups. where educational levels are lower.

Also if Nigerians are on average older then they include more people who are at the earnings peak. Also Asians have now over taken Hispanics in new immigration to the USA, so there are large numbers of recent Asian immigrants as well.

Nigerians are know to be well represented at Ivy league schools, and indeed this is why their high level of education became noticed. Nigerians also tend to focus on degrees with the best earnings prospects. I have yet to meet even a second generation Nigerian doing Art History. Their parents will view that as a disgrace when they discuss what their kids are doing.

The fact remains that, when adjusted for educational levels Nigerians earn less than comparable groups and race is quite likely to be a reason why.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. How could it be?
Nigeria is not a country from which asylum seekers are accepted. It is a very poor country where the vast majority couldn't even pay for the flight to the US, let alone college etc. Nor are the vast majority of Nigerians qualified enough to be wanted and thus allowed in by the US.

very few Nigerians arrive as asylum seekers. Most came in through the Diversity Lottery, as students who then remained in the USA. Or more recently as family members related to those.

The notion that one can compare Nigerians with either black or white Americans, based on the tremendous human capital that they possess is flawed.

What is obvious is that when we adjust for their high levels of educations their househoild incomes trail. And clearly not because they lack ambition or drive.

There are larger barriers which are responsible. Being black, a strong possibility, in addition to a bias against them because they come from a continent which most people hold in poor regard.

Indeed in the UK, where they were also held as a "model minority" when compared to British blacks of Caribbean origin, once adjustments were made for their high educational levels, they ended up doing much worse. Now analysts, rather than focusing on their high levels of education, look instead at the fact that British Caribbean blacks are preferred, once one compares like with like. This because they are more "British". In other words a college educated British Caribbean black does much better than a college educated black African.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Well, since there are only 55k green cards winners per year around the globe, that won't be a major source I suppose Maybe few hundred Nigerians annually.

Caribbeans tend to do well in the US as well, not only in Britain. So I don't think it has to do with being more British. Maybe with being more Western in general

But I agree that Africans still suffer from the centuries-old stereotypes. Nigerians in particular suffer from the reputation of their country, which is known for global scams. The word Nigeria is like a warning sign on the Internet.

Maybe even something as simple as an exotic, hard to pronounce name is a problem, whereas Caribbeans usually have English names.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I rarely watch Fox. I read different things and think for myself. Too; you're def right if talking about the Black LADIES; they're the ones really hitting the books in 2014, not so much the dudes.

Except that there has been a significant increase in black male college enrollment between 1990 and 2005. 37% of black males between 18-24 are now enrolled in college vs., 45% of white males. This despite diminishing financial aid, whicb disportiobately hits those from poorer backgrounds.

Its amazing that people never like to celebrate the fact that there are some blacks who are succeeding in the USA, and indeed moreso than blacks typically do in most white dominated societies.

Also note that white LADIES are also bashing the books more than white men.

When we consider that white men from suburban backgrounds are doing no worse than are white females with similar backgrounds, this suggests an increasing disaster looming for white men from blue collar backgrounds. This because high paying jobs for unskilled/semi skilled workers is becoming increasingly rare. Walmart cant replace GM in earning power. The gap in enrollment of men in the USA, clearly implying that white men also have a problem, is concentrated among the working class.

I will suggest to you that the problem will increasingly be one of POOR MEN, regardless of race.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Well, since there are only 55k green cards winners per year around the globe, that won't be a major source I suppose Maybe few hundred Nigerians annually.

Caribbeans tend to do well in the US as well, not only in Britain. So I don't think it has to do with being more British. Maybe with being more Western in general

But I agree that Africans still suffer from the centuries-old stereotypes. Nigerians in particular suffer from the reputation of their country, which is known for global scams. The word Nigeria is like a warning sign on the Internet.

Caribbean people do poorly in the UK, and in the USA its a mixed bag. Take it from me. I am a Caribbean person and I know that a decent sized jail population exists, especially among those who arrived young, or who were born here. A walk up White Plains Rd, Utica Ave, or Flatbush Ave will disabuse any one of any notion of monolithic success among Caribbean immigrants to the USA.

The fact remains that something goes seriously wrong with many young black men who grow up in majority white societies. We can debate the reasons why this is the case, and the answers will no doubt be complex. But needless to say more than a few Caribbean parents prefer their kids to remain in the Caribbean until they reach high school age, and so are formed in character.

Only 5% of the African immigrants gained entrace through employment visas. 22% as refugess, most of those arriving of them from Ethiopia, Somalia and the Sudan. 24% came under the diversity lottery and 48% as family members. Most of the remainder will be from student visas.

Given that there were only 25k Nigerians in the USA in 1980, vs., 220k in 2010 clearly family entry has only become important in recent years.

Unless one has a parent, or sibling, or spouse in the USA it is difficult to enter under family unification programs. And the criteria has become quite rigorous recently, even when those sponsorer is a US citizen.

The small population in 1980 will therefore suggest that few Nigerians would have initially had the family members to allow immigration under that method. This means that it will be those arriving under the diversity lottery, and under student visas, which would have been the foundation immigrants. One can assume then that those who came in under family visas would have similar profiles as did earlier immigrants.

This then explains the selectivity of the Nigerian immigrant.

Bottom line is that it is way easier for an unskilled person to immigrate from Jamaica than from Nigeria, given that Jamaicans have been migrating from the USA in large numbers since 1900. This reflects the fact that only around 20% of Jamaicans have college degrees, vs 60% Nigerians. Interestingly though jamaican households only earn 12% less than do Nigerian households.

One can therefore conclude that there is a relatively low return to college education, if they only slightly out earn a group which is considerably less educated. Indeed up to 30% of Jamaican immigrants didnt even complete high school!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 PM

But does Nigerian background mean immigrants? Maybe the children of the older generations of immigrants are also counted as people of Nigerian background, despite having been born in the US I mean, do Nigerian immigrants consider themselves African-Americans? Probably not...

For Caribbeans immigration to the US makes sense because it is so close. There is some serious crime and drug problem in Jamaica and probably not only there.

One problem might be that immigrants from the same country often tend to concentrate in the same locations. They might be doing better if they spread around more to places like Iowa and Idaho

Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Most Nigerians who go to the US already belong to the educated elite and have connections before they get there, they are not the average Nigerians.
Plus, immigrants are usually ambitious people, else they would stay at home in the first place. I.e. they are not the average Nigerians in this respect, either.
There is a considerable brain drain out of Africa, unfortunately, because of the nationalist egoism in Western countries.
Uh; please tell me how it's a "western" country's fault that many smart people want to move TO it and are willing to walk AWAY from their own "culture" to do it?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Except that there has been a significant increase in black male college enrollment between 1990 and 2005. 37% of black males between 18-24 are now enrolled in college vs., 45% of white males. This despite diminishing financial aid, whicb disportiobately hits those from poorer backgrounds.

Its amazing that people never like to celebrate the fact that there are some blacks who are succeeding in the USA, and indeed moreso than blacks typically do in most white dominated societies.

Also note that white LADIES are also bashing the books more than white men.

When we consider that white men from suburban backgrounds are doing no worse than are white females with similar backgrounds, this suggests an increasing disaster looming for white men from blue collar backgrounds. This because high paying jobs for unskilled/semi skilled workers is becoming increasingly rare. Walmart cant replace GM in earning power. The gap in enrollment of men in the USA, clearly implying that white men also have a problem, is concentrated among the working class.

I will suggest to you that the problem will increasingly be one of POOR MEN, regardless of race.
Skilled trades are being hurt by large numbers of illegal aliens. Too, illegals hurt Black and dark skin Hispanics more than light skin dudes. The unskilled guys have it even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies