Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm also curious as to why loser libs are claiming conservatives want to become involved in the Ukraine. That's the last thing our country needs to be doing. If anything, I wish we would stay the heck out of other nation's affairs. Obama is making himself look like an ass when he talks tough, but does not back it up. Even worse, he is making our country look weak and foolish. Putin will probably find new ways in the future to egg Obama on, just so he can make him, and our country, look weaker. It's bad enough that people abroad associate Obama with America...

What do you want, then? If you want our government to shut up and stay completely out of this, I'm on the same page with you. But then again I wonder if you said the same when Bush criticized Russia for invading South Ossetia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I don't know. All loonies look the same to me. And they're criticizing Obama for not going into Ukraine.

Or are you going to tell us that conservatives will criticize Obama regardless of what he does?
I haven't seen or heard any criticism for not going into Ukraine.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:36 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
What do you want, then? If you want our government to shut up and stay completely out of this, I'm on the same page with you. But then again I wonder if you said the same when Bush criticized Russia for invading South Ossetia.
I was not a supporter of Bush either, and criticized him often. I have always felt that it is not our nation's responsibility or purpose to police the world, and quite frankly, we've had far too many missteps to continue. Furthermore, I am not shackled by party lines. An incompetent leader is an incompetent leader, no matter what political sphere they come from.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I was not a supporter of Bush either, and criticized him often. I have always felt that it is not our nation's responsibility or purpose to police the world, and quite frankly, we've had far too many missteps to continue. Furthermore, I am not shackled by party lines. An incompetent leader is an incompetent leader, no matter what political sphere they come from.
Obama's symbolic gesture to condemn Russia while planning to actually do nothing about it (like Bush's) should not be the end of the world to you then. I would love it if he said nothing, but it's just not politically feasible. It has always been a penis measuring contest between the U.S. and Russia, as stupid as that is.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
It has always been a penis measuring contest between the U.S. and Russia, as stupid as that is.
And right now, Russia is proving to be the well hung superior...

Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I don't know. All loonies look the same to me. And they're criticizing Obama for not going into Ukraine.

Or are you going to tell us that conservatives will criticize Obama regardless of what he does?
No. Wrong again. What is being criticized is that O said anything at all. He should have shut his trap. He already looked like an idiot with Syria, now he's going to open his mouth and make a threat again.....and then what? Do absolutely nothing like he did with Syria. Of course Putin is laughing at him. THAT is what is being criticized.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. Wrong again. What is being criticized is that O said anything at all. He should have shut his trap. He already looked like an idiot with Syria, now he's going to open his mouth and make a threat again.....and then what? Do absolutely nothing like he did with Syria. Of course Putin is laughing at him. THAT is what is being criticized.

Anti-Russian sentiment is at a high after these Olympics. He had to say something.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I agree with this.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Anti-Russian sentiment is at a high after these Olympics. He had to say something.
For what? To make liberals feel better? Look how well his "fighting words" went down:

Quote:
...U.S. President Barack Obama and Russia’s Putin spoke for 90 minutes on the telephone without apparently resolving anything.

Russian notes released after that conversation made it ominously clear that Russia reserved the right to send a larger force into eastern Ukraine, where there was bloody fighting today between pro-European and pro-Russian activists...

...Ignoring Obama and many other western leaders, Putin formally asked parliament Saturday for permission to use “the armed forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine pending the normalization of the sociopolitical situation in that country.”

Despite Washington’s deep concern over developments in Ukraine, it was not obvious what it can do to change the situation there, short of sending troops.

As Russia is a nuclear power and has tens of thousands of troops based near the Ukrainian border, the possibility of any U.S. or NATO military action is deemed extremely unlikely...
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...172/story.html

So why say anything at all? It just makes him look like one of those parents who threaten their kid with a grounding and then never follow through on it. Kids have no respect for parents who don't follow through, and world leaders don't have respect for others who don't follow through.

It was an empty threat, and it just made the US look stupid.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Maybe you could tell us how World War l started. I forgot my history.
Well, there were some Serbs living in the Austrian-Hungarian empire who were really mad at their hosts, and one of them decided to kill the new Archduke.

A-H blamed Serbia for the assassination and declared war.

Due to a bunch of "I got your back" agreements made over several years, eventually all of Europe got into the act, and a lot more people got killed.

Then the U.S. doughboys came over and put a stop to the silly fighting.

Then the big powers in Europe decided to punish the nation that had the least to do with the origin of the hostilities, and Germany fell into economic depression, allowing a charismatic old soldier named Adolf to take over and impose his madness on the rest of the world.

You should know the rest.

Last edited by Harrier; 03-01-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies