Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 PM

259 posts, read 151,410 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why have a problem with this. Buying a cake from a baker for a gay wedding is ok but forcing a religious baker to prepare a cake for an occasion considered by his religion a sin is wrong, because it forces him to ignore his believes and his churches teachings. Is that so difficult to grasp?

How about local AA? Should they have the right to refuse to rent a facilities for a pro-marijuana event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Here is another scenerio for ya, My gay daughter married last August. We live in different states. Suppose I went to a religious baker and said I am the mother of the bride and want to buy a wedding cake for my daughter. Would they refuse outright? Ask questions? What are the happy couples names? Alli and Jack. Fine? Alli is short for Allison, but what about that Jack? Actually, Jack is short for Jacquelene. How are they going to know THAT? If the couple does not go there in person themselves, that baker is promoting SIN!

Of course, I would never do anything like that from an establishment that would discriminate. They probably would throw ME out for wearing all black and pentagram shirts anyway. Heathen! This is a CHRISTIAN business. Right.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Here is another scenerio for ya, My gay daughter married last August. We live in different states. Suppose I went to a religious baker and said I am the mother of the bride and want to buy a wedding cake for my daughter. Would they refuse outright? Ask questions? What are the happy couples names? Alli and Jack. Fine? Alli is short for Allison, but what about that Jack? Actually, Jack is short for Jacquelene. How are they going to know THAT? If the couple does not go there in person themselves, that baker is promoting SIN!

Of course, I would never do anything like that from an establishment that would discriminate. They probably would throw ME out for wearing all black and pentagram shirts anyway. Heathen! This is a CHRISTIAN business. Right.
Is there a single case where the business asked if the happy couple is same sex ? The ones I've heard about all were told the couple was same sex.

Speaking of hypotheticals, what if the baker is an Asian who opposes marriage between different races and refuses to bake a wedding cake for a black and white couple ? Is the baker guilty of discriminating against blacks and whites, and a hater of both ? Or a Jewish caterer who opposes a Jew marrying a Muslim ? Would she be guilty of discriminating against Jews and Muslims, and a bigot against them ?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Is there a single case where the business asked if the happy couple is same sex ? The ones I've heard about all were told the couple was same sex.

Speaking of hypotheticals, what if the baker is an Asian who opposes marriage between different races and refuses to bake a wedding cake for a black and white couple ? Is the baker guilty of discriminating against blacks and whites, and a hater of both ? Or a Jewish caterer who opposes a Jew marrying a Muslim ? Would she be guilty of discriminating against Jews and Muslims, and a bigot against them ?
Yes. Yes. and yes.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes. Yes. and yes.
In the baker, florist, hotel cases I've read about, the customers brought up the wedding was for a ss couple. Do you know offhand in which case[s] the business asked if the product was for a ss couple.

I see. A Jewish florist who won't serve a Jew/Muslim wedding is a hater of Jews and Muslims, a bigot against both groups. A black supremacist caterer against black/non-black marriage is a bigoted hater against both races for not serving a black/Asian wedding. Sure, that makes sense

Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
In the baker, florist, hotel cases I've read about, the customers brought up the wedding was for a ss couple. Do you know offhand in which case[s] the business asked if the product was for a ss couple.

I see. A Jewish florist who won't serve a Jew/Muslim wedding is a hater of Jews and Muslims, a bigot against both groups. A black supremacist caterer against black/non-black marriage is a bigoted hater against both races for not serving a black/Asian wedding. Sure, that makes sense
My three yes's were for your last statement, not the first.

A Jewish florist who won't serve a Jew/Muslim wedding is a hater. The degree of hate is enough to make him or her not want to supply that wedding. I doubt the Jewish florist hates Jews, just ones he doesn't think follow his or her version Judaism. Muslims he obviously doesn't see as worthy to marry a Jew because of their beliefs.

Just because he or she may appear civil, and site religious reasons doesn't make the action less hateful. The person or people the discrimination is geared towards certainly don't feel the love.

The same with your black analogy. He may not hate blacks, but he hates the black person who is marrying the Asian.

So in both your " stories " yes the person hating is a bigot.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
[quote=Liberal01;33794968]I don't understand why have a problem with this. Buying a cake from a baker for a gay wedding is ok but forcing a religious baker to prepare a cake for an occasion considered by his religion a sin is wrong, because it forces him to ignore his believes and his churches teachings. Is that so difficult to grasp?

How about local AA? Should they have the right to refuse to rent a facilities for a pro-marijuana event?[/quote

So Catholics can refuse to bake wedding cakes for divorced people too? If you legislate religious discrimation, just THINK who can be discriminated against. Anyone can clain religious discrimination according to whatever religion they are. It won't be just against gay couples.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Dang! Sock it to 'em! Great post! I couldn't have done better.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
=Joe90;33789656] Of course it's hate, what else would it be?

If I chucked a seven year old kid out of my shop, because I don't like freckles, how would it be anything other than hate?
I don't know, how would it be? Perhaps because you hate freckles...? Do you?

But oh gawd, really dumb analogy.

No one is "chucking out" homosexuals from the bakery. They have every right in the world to enter it; to order a cup-cake or cookies or candy or a full wedding cake, if they want.

I know this might be hard for you to use simple common-sense, salted with a bit of appreciation of what freedom actually means...but ALL the owners did was refuse to adorn the cake with a "same-sex" couple model. Nothing more than that.

All this amounts to is the "Gay Lobby" intentionally picking a stupid-a$$ed fight for no reason other than to advance their own agenda. What a bunch of cry-babies...

But ok, so why couldn't this "couple" just find another bakery? Did they not exist? You know the answer as well as I do....

Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 PM

312 posts, read 494,333 times
Problem is these religious groups have no credibility because their "beliefs" are so selective.

Did people complain that their beliefs were being violated before when couples who had engaged in premarital sex wanted a cake? Nope

Did people complain that their beliefs were being violated before when couples with tattoos wanted a cake? Nope

If these people were a bit more consistent with their beliefs there might not be such a backlash against them. Until then they need to realize they aren't fooling anyone hiding behind a religious doctrine.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I don't know, how would it be? Perhaps because you hate freckles...? Do you?

But oh gawd, really dumb analogy.

No one is "chucking out" homosexuals from the bakery. They have every right in the world to enter it; to order a cup-cake or cookies or candy or a full wedding cake, if they want.

I know this might be hard for you to use simple common-sense, salted with a bit of appreciation of what freedom actually means...but ALL the owners did was refuse to adorn the cake with a "same-sex" couple model. Nothing more than that.

All this amounts to is the "Gay Lobby" intentionally picking a stupid-a$$ed fight for no reason other than to advance their own agenda. What a bunch of cry-babies...

But ok, so why couldn't this "couple" just find another bakery? Did they not exist? You know the answer as well as I do....
No, they never even got to the cake decorations before the baker told the couple that they could not buy a wedding cake in that shop.

Maybe you should review the cases before going on about "nothing more than that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies