Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your Sect'y of State is the voice of your country to other leaders.

Bush had Condi Rice.

Obama had Clinton and now Kerry. He also has Rice.
Condi's greatest accomplishment was to bully Israel to give up Gaza and then she send money the Palestinians. Israel is still pissed at her.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't get the NZ comment, but Bush would never have allowed our relationship with foreign leaders to deteriorate to this point. He engaged other nations' leaders and built working relationships with them.
Ahh, no. He did not.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ahh, no. He did not.
No. As a matter of fact US credibility sank to the rock bottom during those years.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I wish that those who offer criticism over President Obama's lack of tools to work with, regarding Ukraine, would offer some of their own advise.

When the Soviets invaded Afghanistan at least President Carter had the Summer Olympics to boycott. Otherwise, I don't see where much more could have been done.

When Russian went into Georgia, President Bush did not have many options available to him. I did not think the less of him for that; indeed, if he talked of sending our troops I would have been upset.

President Obama likewise has little to work with. Russia shares a border with Ukraine and has a significant military presence in the country (even before the invasion). To say that Putin is taking advantage of Obama seems to be silly. I doubt even President Reagan would have done much more than sabre rattle.

Recall that Russia has a veto in the UN, so even that route has its limitations.

Likewise, if we were to invade, say, northern Mexico, Putin may well condemn our actions, but there is little else he could do (we also have veto power in the UN).

Other leaders of western nations are condemning the Ukraine (or Crimea) occupation. Like President Obama, there is little more to be done.

There are other countries bordering Russia with a significant Russian-speaking population (Latvia, Estonia, etc). It may well be that the next president will face Russian incursions into parts of those countries. Again, while the political party that is not holding the White House may yap about the need to 'do something', there again will be little that can be done, at least by the USA.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Obama is embarrassing our country.... He's just making us look weaker and weaker to the rest of the world. Putin knows it and he is going to use it to his advantage.

No one's going to back us up anymore. Hell even one of our allies China has now jumped ship and is backing Russia!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ahh, no. He did not.
Oh but he did. Bush had close relations with the leaders of Britain, Germany, and Israel, all of which are not at all happy with Obama. Those three were our closest allies. Now we stand alone.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No one's going to back us up anymore. Hell even one of our allies China has now jumped ship and is backing Russia!
Obama didn't even attend the Asian Summit. China can break us anytime they want just by calling in their markers.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
When Russian went into Georgia, President Bush did not have many options available to him. I did not think the less of him for that; indeed, if he talked of sending our troops I would have been upset.
They did talk about military intervention, but it turned out to be a fake threat.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Oh but he did. Bush had close relations with the leaders of Britain, Germany, and Israel, all of which are not at all happy with Obama. Those three were our closest allies. Now we stand alone.
Those three are still our close allies, even more so than before. Educate yourself. Israel was very disappointed at Bush admin, and they were happy to see him leave the office.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I wish that those who offer criticism over President Obama's lack of tools to work with, regarding Ukraine, would offer some of their own advise.

When the Soviets invaded Afghanistan at least President Carter had the Summer Olympics to boycott. Otherwise, I don't see where much more could have been done.

President Obama likewise has little to work with. Russia shares a border with Ukraine and has a significant military presence in the country (even before the invasion). To say that Putin is taking advantage of Obama seems to be silly. I doubt even President Reagan would have done much more than sabre rattle.

Recall that Russia has a veto in the UN, so even that route has its limitations.

Likewise, if we were to invade, say, northern Mexico, Putin may well condemn our actions, but there is little else he could do (we also have veto power in the UN).

Other leaders of western nations are condemning the Ukraine (or Crimea) occupation. Like President Obama, there is little more to be done.

There are other countries bordering Russia with a significant Russian-speaking population (Latvia, Estonia, etc). It may well be that the next president will face Russian incursions into parts of those countries. Again, while the political party that is not holding the White House may yap about the need to 'do something', there again will be little that can be done, at least by the USA.
A solid and balanced post, legalsea, regardless of who is sitting the oval at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies