Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM

878 posts, read 737,397 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with Pat on this one. As a nation, we have seriously gone down hill since the Civil Rights Act was passed in the 60's. The section ruling on private industry was flatly unconstitutional. The Act had these elements added by Emmanuel Celler (D - N.Y.) after hearings during the negotiation. Republicans, though they were widely in support of the Act should have demanded this be taken out. It was blatantly an expansion of government illegaly into the private sphere, and short-sighted people that they were, they never imagined how the amount of abuses would ensue.

Repeal the civil rights laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Yeah, well you can't be a good Republican without complaining about how bad all civil rights legislation was.

I get it.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well you can't be a good Republican without complaining about how bad all civil rights legislation was.

I get it.
No, you don't get it.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
You really don't understand the Constitution. You can't be a good Republican without complaining that minorities have more rights than straight white males.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
You really don't understand the Constitution. You can't be a good Republican without complaining that minorities have more rights than straight white males.
rubbish. while i disagree with the OP and pat robertson, i think the civil rights act was necessary fro this country, i also think that people abuse the act thinking it gives them everything they want all the time. people need to educate themselves on what the civil rights act actually does rather than just listen to what the pundits are saying.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Yeah, an unabashed supporter of Hitler and bigot wantsto be able to descriminate based on the color of people's skin and their heratage. Who is really surprised.

He has pretty much been fired for his views from every news station (of every stripe) for his rampent racism, antisemitism, hatred of any immigrant (legal and illegal), holocaust denial, and published Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War...a pro-Hitler book. This guy, and people who champion his views, are all nuttier than squirrel poop.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Spot on, private business isn't all that private when under threats of fines and imprisonment you must do as the government says.

If my restaurant wishes only to serve only one-legged Koreans dressed as Superman who's business is that but mine?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Apparently the OP is a Democrat, because -- according to the US History 101 seminars that break out anytime race is mentioned -- only Democrats supported the Jim Crow laws to which the OP thinks we must return.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Apparently the OP is a Democrat, because -- according to the US History 101 seminars that break out anytime race is mentioned -- only Democrats supported the Jim Crow laws to which the OP thinks we must return.
Pat is correct in pointing out that these laws are no longer necessary and were in fact, never quite constitutionally legal ... that is they were specifically designed to unconstitutionally favor one group of citizens over others as a remedy for grievances already specifically addressed by constitutional amendments and other laws. For example, our British cousins are at least a bit more forthright in calling their version of Affirmative Action what it really is, "Positive Discrimination".

Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Pat is another "4-F" draft dodger (like Ted Nugent). Pat has his head up his......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies