Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You say don't want military action. So what do you want Obama to do?
I doubt Obama's critics know the answer to that; it's just easier to insult, mock, and criticize about things they know little about.

Truth be told, American foreign policy has set this up. Russian-U.S. relations were never steady even in the days following the Cold War, as was made evident when the U.S. acted against Serbs much to Russia's dismay. They accepted that, mainly in light of the fact that they had their own problems to worry about.

But this really began with the idea of having a missile defense shield in the traditionally Russian sphere of Eastern Europe, an idea which Bush promoted in an attempt to look like a miniature Reagan and one that Obama himself has mistakenly continued to support in an effort to fend off foreign policy critics. I also find it a bit of rich irony that we think that the U.S. has some sort of moral authority to criticize invasions these days, given the fact that the U.S. invaded Iraq over overwhelming international objections.

None of this is to say that we should sit idly by and tolerate the invasion. There should be economic and political consequences, and I'm sure there will be, but Russia's probably willing to absorb those costs for the time being. This is not a failure of a single president's policy; I'd lay the blame at Obama and Bush and congress over the past ten years or so. I would have to agree that Obama and Kerry's notions of "engagement" is easy to second guess and they need to dial up their testosterone a bit, but beyond that, they need to use economic leverage and diplomacy. Not much else to do.

My prediction is that the parts of Ukraine will remain in Russian hands until there is a serious deal on the missile shield. But given the fact that Russia's aggression more or less makes war hawks look like prophets, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
GW Bush negotiated for years to place a missile defense system in Poland not only for our protection, but for the protection of our European allies. Of course, the laughable Obama administration has since removed that system.....There's no way that Russia would be invading Ukraine if that defense system was still in place. Our President is hellbent on destroying our country. He's best to just stay out of this.
One of the most ignorant comments I've seen, but totally predictable.

Tell me, how would a missile shield prevent troops from crossing a border?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This all could be a good lesson all around but it's highly unlikely as it seems that few want to actually learn anything.

We could learn that the U.N. is nothing but a cesspool of fraud. We could learn the fallacy of thinking we can change things. One might think that Putin would have learned from his country going into Afghanistan. We learned nothing from it so I'm not sure why we would expect him to though.
Yes, the UN is a fraud that is largely the puppet of five nations (any guess as to which nation had most to do with that framework?). The United Nations might actually work if the charter nations were more developing a better framework, but it never goes there. The U.S., for instance, never supported the international court. And you basically have the Western nations (US, UK, FRA) supporting their own interests and China and Russia supporting theirs.

The real problem here for the U.S. and something our Reagan-altar worshipping fanatics ought to understand is that the world is very different now than it was in 1957 or even in 1987. Russia and China are both strong enough to stand on their own and even the EU and South America want to be more independent of U.S. foreign policy. It's a multi-polar world we're living in now, with power distributed somewhat more evenly. It even makes things like economic sanctions an act that needs careful considerations, for they might end up hurting American interests as much as those who are the target of sanctions.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Too many times has the President of the United States been refered to as "The Boy King" by the Tea Party Obama haters not to include it as part of the discussion. It has been used repeatedly in some of the recent Ukraine threads.
Bite me. You quoted me. Don't involve me in your racism rants.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bite me. You quoted me. Don't involve me in your racism rants.
It wasn't a rant. It was one word, ever popular with the right wing Obama haters.
but you are right. I shouldn't have quoted you and used the term. I'll edit the post to remove the offending term. You have my apologies.
It's good to see that that terminology gets up your nose just as much as it gets up mine.
Consider yourself bitten.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
I wonder how Liberal Land media is reporting this. They are probably praising Obama.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wonder how Liberal Land media is reporting this. They are probably praising Obama.
Not really. there is a sense even among liberals that the response from the administration has been somewhat wishy-washy, to a degree, although nobody has any idea what can be done better.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
It wasn't a rant. It was one word, ever popular with the right wing Obama haters.
but you are right. I shouldn't have quoted you and used the term. I'll edit the post to remove the offending term. You have my apologies.
It's good to see that that terminology gets up your nose just as much as it gets up mine.
Consider yourself bitten.
Not everyone thinks Obama is "The One" like you do. Get over it. As for calling him "boy king" it fits. He doesn't operate in reality (like a little boy wearing rose color glasses) and he certainly isn't tough enough to deal with a KGB Kernel. So much for the "RESET BUTTON".

Obama thinks he is king. It's a fitting name. Obamas got a pen and a phone.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Not really. there is a sense even among liberals that the response from the administration has been somewhat wishy-washy, to a degree, although nobody has any idea what can be done better.
A good start is to show up for meetings. Good thing there is no election going on right now.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let the UN handle this.
... said no real conservative ever prior to January 20, 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies