Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a referendum in the Crimea in regards to whether it should be a part of Russia or Ukr
Yes 8 88.89%
No 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times

Advertisements

I voted Yes because I am at least generally a supporter of national self-determination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM

For the record, the end of this poll is supposed to say "... Russia or Ukraine?"

Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
The problem with referendums is that they can easily be manipulated, especially when a massively corrupt autocrat like Putin is involved. It would be a charade, with the side in favor of remaining a part of Ukraine completely shut out of media, campaigning etc.

The other problem with this specific referendum is that it would encourage the minority Russian populations in Kharkov, Donetsk, and other eastern cities to demand a vote too.

But I voted "yes" anyway, because it's probably the least bad way out of the impasse under the circumstances.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
1. The problem with referendums is that they can easily be manipulated, especially when a massively corrupt autocrat like Putin thinks his authority and prestige are at stake.

2. The other problem with this specific referendum is that it would encourage the minority Russian populations in Kharkov, Donetsk, and other eastern cities to demand a vote too.

3. But I voted "yes" anyway, because it's probably the least bad way out of the impasse under the circumstances.
1. So how about we have neutral international observers monitor this referendum?

2. Maybe, and I see no problem with this as well if the borders for such referendums can clearly be drawn.

3. Yes, you might very well be correct in regards to this.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:53 PM

And for the record (while I don't think that this will happen in a very long time, if ever), I also support holding referendums in areas such as Chechnya (in regards to them being a part of Russia or becoming independent) once there is less extremism and terrorism in these areas.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
3. Yes, you might very well be correct in regards to this.
Well, I'm certainly no foreign-policy expert -- unlike the Senior European Affairs Analysts in this forum who are quivering and frothing with rage against Obama for doing exactly what they think the US should be doing, i.e. nothing.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Didn't answer the poll because I can't really agree with yes or no.

On the one hand, you can make the argument that the Russian regions of Eastern Ukraine should have a say in which country to be a part of if both nations are willing to have them. On the other hand, the Russians specifically grabbing just Crimea right now is all about military and geopolitical power (Russia's major black seas naval port is there), not about letting the citizens decide which country they want to live in.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Frankly it would be like asking the major in west what they want. That time is long gone since gone' they had elections and now a coup. Russia of course would want the region to have choice to stay or go .Likely like Georgia before that will be outcome: IMO.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
I support a referendum that votes on splitting the country into eastern and western parts and lets each province decide if it wants to be
- part of an independent eastern Ukrainian country
- part of an independent western Ukrainian country
- part of Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies