Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Even though she's against gay marriage, the GOVERNOR, who went to LAW SCHOOL and is a LAWYER, is most likely not stupid enough - and indeed, at least understands how law works, unlike Summers73 - to be making the arguments that are being made on this thread in an attempt to make a "gays are hypocrites!" arguments.
As this occurred two years ago, if the good governor was going to take any action, I imagine she would have and we would know what it was. As I recall, she found someone else to maintain her hair.

Clearly the antis are really reaching if they have to dredge up two year old news to try to make.their convoluted points.
This is all over the con sites today as if it actually means something.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please tell me what one of these apply to the refusal of service

The Right To Refuse Service Or Discrimination? | Lifescript.com

As a general rule, your right to refuse service can be based on one of the following five reasons:

-Patrons who are unruly
-Patrons who would place your business overcapacity in violation of local fire laws
-Patrons who wish to be served after hours or just before closing, necessitating the expenditure of overtime for your employees.
-Patrons who bring non-paying customers with them that require more space than one person would be reasonably be allocated. In other words, if a paying customer brings three non-paying customers and is seated at a four person booth, service cannot be refused. However if the customer brings six non-paying customers, he or she can be refused service because it requires the use of more than the one booth allocated to the paying customer.
-Patrons who exhibit such poor hygiene that results in numerous customers leaving.

Employees of your business should receive regular training on their right to refuse service and the understanding of public accommodation. Businesses that have refusal of service policies in place and regularly train their employees of the rights and responsibilities of the business are in a better position to defend themselves against discrimination lawsuits that may arise when service is refused.

Make sure your employees understand what the term “arbitrary” means and how any refusal of service that does not meet the criteria above can be considered arbitrary and therefore in violation of federal law. Likewise, understand that as a place of public accommodation, you cannot make arbitrary decisions about the type of client you wish to service.
Please show me the section of the federal law that says you CAN NOT refuse service to a person based on their political views.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Even though she's against gay marriage, the GOVERNOR, who went to LAW SCHOOL and is a LAWYER, is most likely not stupid enough - and indeed, at least understands how law works, unlike Summers73 - to be making the arguments that are being made on this thread in an attempt to make a "gays are hypocrites!" arguments.
So if a business can deny service to someone that doesn't believe in gay marriage, they can also deny service to people who DO believe in it. It HAS to work both ways, not just one way.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Please show me the section of the federal law that says you CAN NOT refuse service to a person based on their political views.
Then gays can be denied based on theirs. Things being equal and all. Does the gay community really want to open this can of worms?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Either a business has to take whatever consumer comes through the door regardless of personal beliefs or they dont.

This has nothing to do with anything you just posted.
I agree and I'm quite liberal. I don't care about protected Class, etc, at this moment. What's right is right and what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

It's not right and I don't approve.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Then gays can be denied based on theirs. Things being equal and all. Does the gay community really want to open this can of worms?
How would you know my political beliefs?

She is a politician, EVERYONE knows her political beliefs.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
No no no. Not so fast. The baker can just say they disagree with their POLITICAL view on marriage, which is what this hair cutter is doing. Dont be a hypocrite. If you are okay with he/she doing it, you cant be against the baker doing it. Make up your mind. Are you for or against using political views to refuse service?

Sure, the baker CAN do that.

And if sued, the evidence will be given as to whether the baker is using such mealy mouthed excuse to get around the law because they THINK they are being clever.

Discriminatory effect or intent is looked at based on a totality of circumstances. Most anti-gays aren't smart enough to stay consistent and on-point, so they'd likely be exposed as frauds under intense scrutiny at trial.

Here's how we know the hairdresser is not "anti-straight", and in fact, refused to serve based on political view.... does he refuse service to ALL STRAIGHT PEOPLE? I bet you a million dollars he serves straight people all day.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Sorry, you're not allowed to do that. Law says so.

Stylist to anti-gay marriage governor: No haircut for you - U.S. News
And I bet he said that in full, hand limp lisping outrage.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Please tell me what one of these apply to the refusal of service

Make sure your employees understand what the term “arbitrary” means and how any refusal of service that does not meet the criteria above can be considered arbitrary and therefore in violation of federal law. Likewise, understand that as a place of public accommodation, you cannot make arbitrary decisions about the type of client you wish to service.[/i]

Key word/phrase from above: CAN BE considered arbitrary. Obviously the law has limits. You can't refuse service because you think someone is ugly, or has big ears.

But basically you have a number of legitimate reasons to refuse service, and the key is to avoid anything that is protected class.

Now, political view is NOT protected with respect to accommodation. It IS protected in certain places and situations with respect to employment law in some states.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

Open the can if you want.

You will lose.

Unless they are a politician, you generally have no clue what a person's political view is unless they are spouting off or are wearing politically charges attire.

Virginia Bakery Refuses To Serve Biden; Angry Over 'You Didn't Build That'

http://www.examiner.com/article/ariz...ound-and-leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies