Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

I didn't read that long list but, in addition to rowdy, ill-behaved kids, I hate it when the server doesn't accept my very polite "No" when asked what I want to drink. Inevitably that's countered with, "Are you sure?" and "Not even water??"

Yeesh.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I didn't read that long list but, in addition to rowdy, ill-behaved kids, I hate it when the server doesn't accept my very polite "No" when asked what I want to drink. Inevitably that's countered with, "Are you sure?" and "Not even water??"

Yeesh.
If a server asks you "What would you like to drink?" why would you answer "no"? Maybe you should try "Nothing, thank you".

Last edited by vmaxnc; 03-06-2014 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
The OP is a troll.

No one is that ignorant or rude.

No way is this post real.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The OP is a troll.

No one is that ignorant or rude.

No way is this post real.
Hehehe . . . Troll or not, that's more effort than you can shake a breadstick at.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
I think you need to wait tables for a week or stop going to restaurants.
Got that right, the OP should stay at home.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
My biggest restaurant pet peeve is sitting anywhere near someone like the OP. It is so embarrassing (for them) and irritating to me.

I will admit, it was quite fun when I was going through cancer and I got to be the bald young woman who shut down a middle aged man berating his waitress for every little thing (many of which were clearly restaurant policies). Still get fantastic service and comped apps/drinks at that restaurant!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
#1.. it sounds like the OP is dining at establishments that are "kids eat free" or the lower cost family type restaurants. I've found most of these servers are newbies in the industry and don't really have a grasp yet on customer service in that industry. When I dine at these type of places I receive the same type of service, but it's not a pet peeve for me as I know they are inexperienced and want me in and out as fast as possible. I don't care and don't expect to much. After all, this may be their very first job and or first job as a server. High end restaurants don't typically higher newbies.
We have had some of the worst service at fine dining. Why don't you care about your hard earned money, huh? I DO and I care very much about my time as well when I am spending it when I am paying for the service.

Quote:
High end restaurants don't typically higher newbies.
Not true, I beg to differ a lot. A waiter we had at a fine dining restaurant used the excuse "It's a misprint" when I showed him(which it was OUR FIRST TIME THERE) the price of the margarita I ordered as is from the drink menu. It was $10, but got charged $12. Any good server at a fine dining restaurant should have caught this WELL BEFORE we got our check by getting it fixed from the manager. Also, it's common sense you don't lie to say it's a misprint. It's not misprint, it's the price I consented to when I ordered that item, so by *LAW* that's the price, PERIOD. I didn't order from the computer. It made no sense, first he said "It's a misprint", then he says "sorry", well which is it, because you can't be blaming someone else for YOUR mistake. It's his mistake since he could have easily caught this before he gave us the check to have gotten the manager to fix it, heck even before I got my margarita even when he rung it up could have noticed this even.

Another time, a waiter forgot my margarita from the bar after spending before tip almost $300(cheapest steak was $89 back in 2011) and he didn't even say he was sorry even, but I still told him "thank you", so I remained nice, he wasn't. His tip wasn't as nice either since he couldn't admit fault. Same waiter took 8-10 minutes just for a coke, another 8-10 minutes for a refill of coke.

So No, you are VERY WRONG when it comes to not hiring newbies. Heck, I could be a newbie and have MORE COMMON SENSE, because I have never been a server, just counter help at a donut shop/diner and I know MORE about how to do the job than they do.

Quote:
#2. Most of the pet peeves are just irrational and self righteous attitudes for many dining establishments.
No, because it's ******MY MONEY****** so I should be able to get it how I want it. I am not talking about true mistakes, I am talking about control issues like there's no reason to bring me a refill without asking since it's not the server's money paying for that decision, *I* am though.

Quote:
You're upset they bring you catsup when you didn't want it? Really?
Yes, because they shouldn't be acting like everyone likes the same things. They are also controlling my tip money, which they aren't supposed to be. It's *MY SERVICE, MY DECISION MAKING, NOT THEIRS.

Also, why assume? I mean what's wrong with asking? How HORRIBLE would that be? If you don't want to be asked, *******ACT LIKE AN ADULT AND ORDER LIKE A GROWN UP!

Quote:
Take some meditation classes and chill out.
Don't need any.

Quote:
#3. Learn to eat at more finer restaurants if you expect your servers to be so "experienced and submissive to you alone".
As I stated above, it's been worse. Also, at many of those fine dining, I have to put up with a water boy/girl that doesn't ask you if you want water, they just bring it. Now one we went to didn't, which was Ruth's Chris we have gone to twice and both times we were asked as it *SHOULD BE*. They probably do that, because they don't want to waste time, money, dirty more glasses than necessary, and they probably have had people say "no" to the water. Why you think most restaurants that aren't fine dining don't just serve water like Applebee's or Chili's, etc.? It's because most people DON'T want water.

Quote:
I have 2 pet peeves when dining out - anywhere. 1.. the appetizer arrives and seconds later the main course arrives... *sigh*..
That's an *EASY WAY AROUND IT* if you order your appetizer and *WAIT* to order your main course either a little before the appetizer arrives or wait until your appetizer comes out, this won't happen, DUHHH! USE SOME COMMON SENSE! Why should someone have to tell you that, huh?

Also, ordering the appetizer at the greeting helps too, because that's some leeway ahead of schedule you get before ordering your entrees, which by the time you get your drinks and decide, could be 5-10 minutes later even.

Quote:
In higher end restaurants the server actually asks you when you would like your main course served. So everyone can enjoy the appetizer and conversation.
Never had people ask that at the fine dining restaurants we have gone to EVER!

Quote:
The more expensive restaurants have much better service and quality - either learn to eat out at higher prices or learn to cook at home. The difference in a $10-$20 meal vs a $40-$50 meal is quite noticeable both in quality of service and quality of food.
Sorry, but that's just A BUNCH OF BS! As I said before, WHY at a place we spent $293(an $89 bottle of wine was in that), that just for the 2 of us, which as I said before, the cheapest steak was $89 and this was in 2011, the service was TERRIBLE. I mean, we have gotten a zillion BILLION times better service at Chili's for example, heck even IHOP even.

The more expensive food and the more expensive atmosphere doesn't make the server work any harder. I don't know WHERE you get this from?

The time we went to Ruth's Chris the first time we went in a party of 7 and the waitress forgot my refill, she also brought me blueberry SAUCE rather than blueberries that I ordered for my cheesecake. I NEVER ordered blueberry sauce. She ASSUMED. A good waitress would have asked which one. I didn't know they had sauce nor did I order that. Blueberries are the fresh fruit. Blueberry sauce is 100% TOTALLY DIFFERENT just like applesauce is. Sauces aren't the same as the actual physical fruit. She didn't even apologize for getting it wrong even. Our steaks were over $40. This was a little over a year ago.

I am not saying every single time we had bad service at fine dining, but the majority of the times we have.

You just have NO CLUE of WTH you are talking about. Servers mess up and that doesn't make the server care more about you because the steak is $40 or $90 for that matter.

Quality of service is noticeable that it is better at non-fine dining in general. At a fine dining restaurant, you shouldn't have a wrong price on your check and by that waiter saying it was a misprint PROVES he didn't ******TRY********* his best. He was lazy and wanted to blame a menu rather than his EYES and HIS BRAIN that didn't *READ* the menu. As I said, it was our FIRST TIME and we knew the menu better than him. That time we spent $140 between the both of us. Same price range as Ruth's Chris. We still had better service there and at Ruth's Chris than we did at the place we spent $293. What do you have to say about that, huh know-it-all?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yeah, I just hate it when someone tries to do a little something to make the world just a slightly more cheerful and happy place by drawing a smiley-face on my check. I mean, what's with that? Isn't it better for the servers to be "REAL" and openly show us what grouchy, phony, money-grubbing hypocrites they really are?
It's all about ****TIME***** we are ******PAYING FOR******* that is getting wasted. It's also wasting time for other customers as well as their own. It's so much BS. I mean WHO CARES if they wrote something on the check, especially if they sucked?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Well, at this point, it's quite obvious that the OP is a glutton for punishment and/or really hates to cook.

I bow to you, Springs1. I would have quit dining out long ago to maintain my sanity.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
They should understand the ratio of napkins to the sloppiness of the order....for instance, one napkin with wings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies