Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

My goodness ... Perhaps you would be happier eating at home if restaurants displease you so.

I have some advice for you when you do go out to eat:

• Respect the servers' time as well as the time of the other diners. Your time is no more valuable than anyone else's. If you're in such a hurry you should be at the drive-in at McDonald's, or stay home.
  • Respect the servers' skills and experience.
  • Speak up if something isn't right or done to your preference or satisfaction - within reason, of course. Tell the server what you want. Otherwise you get what they want. It's not rocket science.
  • Restaurants may have policies and practices you don't agree with. Stay away if you don't like them.
  • It's really none of your business how a server does his or her job, as long as it's done right. If there's an error, it's your responsibility to speak up.
  • Why waste energy railing about petty, perceived slights like the server delivering your check before you want it (would you like someone else to pay for your meal?) or delivering a ketchup bottle without asking (how do you feel about restaurants where the ketchup bottle is always on the table?). How does this ruin your dining experience?

Are you so afraid to ask for what you want? Did a waiter or waitress drop you on your head in a previous life?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Personally, I'm not that picky! It just appears like some people go to restaurants in order to find fault with everything. Now, I know what really bad service is. DH and I once went to a restaurant that had recently opened that location. We went in and were seated and given a menu. So we sat there for over half an hour. Nobody came to take our order. Nobody came to offer us a drink or even a glass of water. Or some bread. So we started wondering...why? Finally DH went to find the hostess at the front. She said something about noone being available, but she'd try to get us someone to take our order. We waited...nothing. Another couple was evidently having the same problem. Obviously we were both invisible! Finally we left, and saw a group of employees juist standing around the hostess talking. We went to a nearby restaurant and told the hostess please, we want SERVICE! And she made sure we got it!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
7. Wastes time writing their name and "thank you" on the check or even draws stuff. What a waste of time.

15. Servers that don't apologize when a mistake happens that are theirs.

16. Servers that blame someone or something else for their mistake.

19. Servers that don't write down orders.

32. Servers that order for you without your consent or permission to such as bringing you a refill without you ordering it or being asked for it or even getting you a glass of water you didn't order without asking first.

36. Servers that just don't have common sense such as you have an empty glass and don't even bother to ask if you need anything to even offer even.

40. Servers that tell you instead of *ASK* you if you want a refill by saying “I’ll get you another coke” rather than asking you. It’s not their call to make. I almost want to say “NO, you won’t get me another coke, you ask if it’s OK with me to get me another coke.” I don’t say that, but sure do want to. What's what the CONTROL issues?
7. I would assume that some restaurant-management consultant somewhere figured out that most people are willing to increase their tips to someone who writes THANK YOU!!!! on the check.

15-16. I agree that one should apologize for one's own mistake. Actually, I would go farther and say that the server, as the "face" of the entire restaurant to the customer, should apologize for ANY mistake, whether it was theirs or not. (This applies not only to restaurant servers, but anyone who is representing a company to a customer.)

19. Yeah, I've never understood that one either.

32-36-40. Some of the servers that you think are being like No. 36 are trying to avoid getting you upset by doing No. 32 for you; and if they happen to be at your table when they notice that your drink is empty, may say No. 40 as a way of letting you know that they aren't like the ones in No. 36. If you are upset by being given refills without asking for them, you can retaliate against the restaurant by refusing to drink them. Otherwise, a simple "thank you" will suffice.

Having said this, I will echo a previous poster and suggest that you might be happier if you cooked your own meals at home. Yes, there are some things that servers do that might be a little irksome; but this is, IMO, over the top.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
This list is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. It REALLY sounds like you should cook at home or at least get over yourself. If you don't like the service, mention it to the manager. However, most of your list is nit picky and asinine at best. Just don't eat out! I've experienced everything on this list and with the exception of watery soda/drinks ( I actually agree with you about that), everything else comes with the territory. Maybe you should take a deep breath and "prepare" yourself before you go in a restaurant or perhaps you should upgrade your restaurant choices so that it is on par with the level of service that you expect. But damn, a forty point list? If I could get to a 10 point list I'd just stop eating out.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Based on the OP's list, I cannot imagine why he/she does not learn to cook and avoid all of that headache.

With ALL of those noted issues, I would definitely not set foot in a restaurant.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Wow, just wow. You seem like the kind of person who is never satisfied and will complain about the smallest thing. I think you really need to lighten up and stop taking things so seriously..

Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Didn't go through the whole thing but....

Look, man.

You served me cold food and it IS your fault.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:46 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Respect the servers' time as well as the time of the other diners. Your time is no more valuable than anyone else's. If you're in such a hurry you should be at the drive-in at McDonald's, or stay home.
WHO IS *PAYING* WHO HERE? I respect my server's time, that's why I am trying to get my stuff in a hurry for me and for their sake(to make more tips, DUHH). I respect their time such as I don't tell them I am ready to order if I am not.

If you want what you want for YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY, SO DO I! So stop telling me how I want to spend my money. I can spend it how I want to just as you can.

Quote:
Respect the servers' skills and experience.
A lot of times I know more than they do. You just wouldn't believe the times even at times my very first time knew more about the menu than the servers did, even the managers even. It's sad that they are too lazy to *READ* a menu.

Quote:
Speak up if something isn't right or done to your preference or satisfaction - within reason, of course.Tell the server what you want. Otherwise you get what they want. It's not rocket science.
I do, but I sure am not going to tell them the things I hate. It's common sense you don't decide things that someone else's paying for that you let the customer decide those things. If you want for example refills without asking or the check without asking about dessert or ketchup if it's not on the table, *******YOU SPEAK UP******. Playing a mind reader game is what a lot of customers do today. They are going to see if the server is going to bring them the refill without asking or the check or a glass of water, etc.

Quote:
Restaurants may have policies and practices you don't agree with. Stay away if you don't like them.
But the customer rules how their service is since it's THEIR SERVICE, NOT the restaurant's money paying for the service like at McDonald's. In other words, the restaurant owner or manager doesn't tell me how to have my service, *I* DO with *MY* TIP MONEY FOR *MY SERVICE*! That's how tipping works.

Quote:
It's really none of your business how a server does his or her job, as long as it's done right.
Actually it SURE THE HELL is if they want my TIP!

Quote:
If there's an error, it's your responsibility to speak up.
I ALWAYS SPEAK UP, ALWAYS!

Quote:
Why waste energy railing about petty, perceived slights like the server delivering your check before you want it
That's your opinion that you love to be rushed, I DON'T! I also hate people controlling my tip money. If it's NOT YOURS, YOU HAVE ZERO SAY SO IN IT, SO YEAH, IT IS MY BUSINESS as you said above about it's not my business, well my tip money is paying, so YEAH EVERY LITTLE MOVE THEY MAKE IS MY BUSINESS.

Quote:
(would you like someone else to pay for your meal?)
NO, but I'd like for my time not to be wasted and having prices rise due to wasting ink and paper. I'd like to be able to order something else without having someone make me feel rushed. I think it's petty to worry about if someone takes a dirty dish from the faster eater while you are still eating. I don't see that anyone should be rushed by that considering it's just taking a dirty plate, it's not giving you your bill or something.

Quote:
or delivering a ketchup bottle without asking
I don't like the servers that ASSUME EVERYONE IS THE SAME. Everyone is not the same, so WHY serve in that manner if you know not everyone is the same? Why not just simply *ASK*? Also, another item on the table if it was something not on the table is in the way for things we do want.

Quote:
(how do you feel about restaurants where the ketchup bottle is always on the table?).
That's not service. That happens ********BEFORE*********** service starts, so that's not a service issue to have any say so in. I don't care personally, because people tip on their *SERVICE*, NOT what happens before or after the service.

Quote:
How does this ruin your dining experience?
We have decided to not order something else because of it is one thing. Another thing is pushing me out, rushing me. Another thing is CONTROL(making a decision that isn't theirs to make since they aren't the person *PAYING THE TIP*. If they want control, *THEY* should pay a tip to the customer if they want that control so badly. Otherwise, it's OUR MONEY, OUR DECISIONS! WE RULE THE SERVICE, WE, THE CUSTOMERS WITH OUR TIP MONEY!

Quote:
Are you so afraid to ask for what you want?
NO, I ask for what I want. I firmly believe 95% of people are, because there are a lot of servers out there that don't give lemon with water, don't give water with an alcoholic beverage unless you order it, servers that don't just bring you ketchup, servers that don't bring refills without asking which is A LOT, etc.

I feel if you want refills automatically without asking, (*********YOU ORDER THAT WAY*************). A customer orders ONE drink. There's nothing on the menu that states that you "HAVE" to get a refill. It's just complimentary refills. It may even say "bottomless" drink, but that doesn't mean you have to get it nor does it mean you have to get the same drink.

Why are customers so afraid to ask for their check when they order their entrees if they are in a hurry? A lot of customers complain about that they don't order dessert, well if you know you for sure won't order dessert, WHY THE HECK are you WAITING to ask for your check? A SMART customer would ask when they'd order their food for it and then pay whenever like maybe when they get their food if they want to. Personally I'd probably wait until I'd eat some of my food to make sure my food was OK before they ring up my check.

If you want water with lemon or water, *ORDER* IT. Don't just act like your server can read your mind.

We have been to lots of restaurants where my husband ordered a beer and some(RARELY) have brought water without asking, but MOST DON'T. Same restaurants even, but some servers do it, some don't. Some bring lemon with water, some don't. Not everyone wants lemon. I don't personally if I order water. If I want water, I *******ORDER****** IT, WHAT A CONCEPT!

Did a waiter or waitress drop you on your head in a previous life?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:53 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
7. I would assume that some restaurant-management consultant somewhere figured out that most people are willing to increase their tips to someone who writes THANK YOU!!!! on the check.
That's why you don't do it. It's about pleasing the *********CUSTOMER******! WHAT DOES THE *************CUSTOMER WANT*************! I feel if you want doodle on your check you *********ASK FOR IT***********! Don't waste my time. I'd rather see my server getting some other table a refill or their check or even cleaning. That's SOOOO MUCH MORE ***********PRODUCTIVE******** and you know it!

It's a total waste of time and we all know WHY they do it, to make their tips go higher, not because they really mean it. If they did mean it, they'd just tell us as they were giving back the credit card receipt or change.

Quote:
32-36-40. Some of the servers that you think are being like No. 36 are trying to avoid getting you upset by doing No. 32 for you; and if they happen to be at your table when they notice that your drink is empty, may say No. 40 as a way of letting you know that they aren't like the ones in No. 36. If you are upset by being given refills without asking for them, you can retaliate against the restaurant by refusing to drink them.
The thing you don't understand it's NOT ANYONE ELSE'S DECISION SINCE THEY AREN'T PAYING THE TIP. *****WE ARE PAYING THE TIP*******!

Quote:
Otherwise, a simple "thank you" will suffice.
Are you crazy to tell me to "THANK" someone for wasting my time and not being CONSIDERATE of it? NO they should be saying they are sorry for getting my order wrong without my consent.

If they want to rule my service, they should pay my tip then and not me. They want that much control, that's fine, where' s my tip then?

Quote:
Yes, there are some things that servers do that might be a little irksome; but this is, IMO, over the top.
That's your opinion. You obviously don't have any feelings, do you?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Hi, I'm your server, would you like to know my name? Is it ok if I ask if you've been here before, that way I'll know if you are familiar with our specials. Would you like a recommendation? Are you one of those people who prefers to have your needs met without a lot of silly questions or would you like me to ask you about every single one of your preferences? Or do I just stand by silently waiting for you to tell me every time it crosses your mind that you need something? Maybe I should take a mind reading class, because as you know not all customers are alike and the very things that annoy you are things that other customers EXPECT as a part of the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies