Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then why all the gnashing of teeth over the "Tea Party"?

And it can be argued that Perot, Buchannon and Nader all had an influence on our elections.
The tea party isn't a third party. It's Republican stooges funded by the Koch bros.

Yeah all three of them were jokes siphoning off votes. Republicans in the case of Perot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
You folks are gone..............just gone.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times
Quote:
So under Obama we have increased the "raping" of our lands. Is that what you voted for?
It's deep coal mining. Less environmental damaging then the strip mining which was being done. FYI the strip mining coal that coal mining companies want to do doesn't get them that much coal compared to the deep mining which is long term mining.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Mine away............all day long............all day.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
The tea party isn't a third party. It's Republican stooges funded by the Koch bros.
Thanks for enforcing my point.

Quote:
Yeah all three of them were jokes siphoning off votes. Republicans in the case of Perot.
And again. This goes a long ways in enforcing the arguments in the many global warming threads. Its not the environment, its politics.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
It's deep coal mining. Less environmental damaging then the strip mining which was being done. FYI the strip mining coal that coal mining companies want to do doesn't get them that much coal compared to the deep mining which is long term mining.
Dig dig dig......it all burns dirty.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
The only time a third party had a chance was back in the days of the Bull Moose Party which also went by the name of the Progressive Party. They had a chance because Teddy Roosevelt a former President became one of them and the Bull Moose Party was the strongest third party in history. Know how well the Bull Moose did when 200 of it's candidates ran for seats in the house in 1912? Nine of them won. 21 ran for state gov. None won. 250 were elected to various local offices.

Know what happened when Teddy left? The bull moose party didn't win a single election.

Third parties are a joke vote. Out of a 1000 third party candidates not a single one will get more then a 100 votes in an election while their opponents will get hundreds of thousands of votes.
I love that name, Bull Moose Party, someone should bring it back and it should be run by bearded and mustache men. Actually I would have been a big supporter of the Bull Moose Party back in the day.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Then why all the gnashing of teeth over the "Tea Party"?

And it can be argued that Perot, Buchannon and Nader all had an influence on our elections.
The Tea Party is a division of the Republican Party, not a separate party, and what bothers me about the Tea Party is the fact that they are puppets for big corporate organizations with politicians that are all insiders, hardly the grassroots that they claim to be.

It is debatable the influence Perot, Buchannan, and Nader had on the elections other than swinging the vote from one of the two parties to the other, rather than have any positive effect on a third party.

Also, lets say a third party president wins, then what? That president would have no allies in Congress, so they would then have to decide if they are going to work on the Democrats' side or the Republicans' side. At that point, they are more of a Republican or Democrat than they are a third party.

If you want a third party president, then that third party would need the support of people in their party holding state seats, governor seats, and Congressional seats.

Until that happens, the idea of a third party is nothing more than a feel good thing that won't actually accomplish anything.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The Tea Party is a division of the Republican Party, not a separate party, and what bothers me about the Tea Party is the fact that they are puppets for big corporate organizations with politicians that are all insiders, hardly the grassroots that they claim to be.
No doubt that is why they have helped defeat big business Republicans.

Quote:
It is debatable the influence Perot, Buchannan, and Nader had on the elections other than swinging the vote from one of the two parties to the other, rather than have any positive effect on a third party.
IMO those who vote third party are the ones that least likely like being lied to and as you note can swing elections. If you really dislike being lied to, join them.

Quote:
Also, lets say a third party president wins, then what? That president would have no allies in Congress, so they would then have to decide if they are going to work on the Democrats' side or the Republicans' side. At that point, they are more of a Republican or Democrat than they are a third party.

If you want a third party president, then that third party would need the support of people in their party holding state seats, governor seats, and Congressional seats.

Until that happens, the idea of a third party is nothing more than a feel good thing that won't actually accomplish anything.
The country is in a mess. I'd say doing nothing would be a step in the right direction. Just don't tell me you support clean energy but then still back the guy that has increased our reliance on coal.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
No doubt that is why they have helped defeat big business Republicans.

IMO those who vote third party are the ones that least likely like being lied to and as you note can swing elections. If you really dislike being lied to, join them.

The country is in a mess. I'd say doing nothing would be a step in the right direction. Just don't tell me you support clean energy but then still back the guy that has increased our reliance on coal.
There isn't a third party that I like, and I am not going to just join a random party because I want to feel good about voting third party.

There is more than just energy policies for voting for a person. I disagree with Obama about that, but that doesn't mean I disagree with him on everything or even enough to vote against him, which I didn't I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, I didn't like either Republican candidate and had no interest in voting for any poorly formed third party candidate that couldn't do anything in office if they ever won the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies