Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh please. Are you seriously going to sit there and try to fool anyone in to believing that one fricken missed movie/day in class is going to cause her to fail? If that is the case, then maybe she shouldn't be in college at all.
Did I ever allude to that? Nope. Nice try with the assumption though.

The professor has an obligation to his or her class to state about the nature of a video if it's of graphic nature before showing it. When I attended college, that's what every single one of my professors/teachers did before showing a video.

Why didn't this professor do that in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She is incapable of going to see the professor after the class?
If she wasn't told ahead of time of the nature of the video, then how could she see the professor to discuss not watching it and therefore doing some other assignment to make up for it?

Yeah doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Did I ever allude to that? Nope. Nice try with the assumption though.

The professor has an obligation to his or her class to state about the nature of a video if it's of graphic nature before showing it. When I attended college, that's what every single one of my professors/teachers did before showing a video.

Why didn't this professor do that in this case?
I understand that some professors include attendance in their grading. You said she might be "marked down" for missing that day as a reason for her to sit through something that made her horribly uncomfortable. Please, if being "marked down" for missing that one day is going to upset her college career, then she has bigger issues to worry about. We could go on for days about this...like, how some professors offer extra credit...I mean, as long as we are making assumptions left and right. So that whole "marked down" thing is a) an assumption, (speaking of "nice try with the assumption"), b) not worthy of a mention because it's such a small part of the grade IF that particular professor exercised grading attendance. If something made me that uncomfortable, the last thing I'm going to give a crap about is if I might get "marked down" for saying, "I'm out of here, I'm not watching this."

Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I understand that some professors include attendance in their grading. You said she might be "marked down" for missing that day as a reason for her to sit through something that made her horribly uncomfortable. Please, if being "marked down" for missing that one day is going to upset her college career, then she has bigger issues to worry about. We could go on for days about this...like, how some professors offer extra credit...I mean, as long as we are making assumptions left and right. So that whole "marked down" thing is a) an assumption, (speaking of "nice try with the assumption"), b) not worthy of a mention because it's such a small part of the grade IF that particular professor exercised grading attendance. If something made me that uncomfortable, the last thing I'm going to give a crap about is if I might get "marked down" for saying, "I'm out of here, I'm not watching this."
You obviously don't get it.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Good grief, this reads like an SNL skit to satire liberal, political correct, touchy-feelyisms.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You obviously don't get it.
No, I get it.

Quote:
As the list of trigger warning–worthy topics continues to grow, there's scant research demonstrating how words "trigger" or how warnings might help. Most psychological research on P.S.T.D. suggests that, for those who have experienced trauma, "triggers" can be complex and unpredictable, appearing in many forms, from sounds to smells to weather conditions and times of the year. In this sense, anything can be a trigger —a musky cologne, a ditsy pop song, a footprint in the snow.

As a means of navigating the Internet, or setting the tone for academic discussion, the trigger warning is unhelpful. Once we start imposing alerts on the basis of potential trauma, where do we stop? One of the problems with the concept of triggering—understanding words as devices that activate a mechanism or cause a situation—is it promotes a rigid, overly deterministic approach to language. There is no rational basis for applying warnings because there is no objective measure of words' potential harm. Of course, words can inspire intense reactions, but they have no intrinsic danger.

Quote:
As academics become more preoccupied with students’ feelings of harm, they risk opening the door to a never-ending litany of requests. Last month, students at Wellesley College protested a sculpture of a man in his underwear because, according to the Change.org petition, it was a source of "triggering thoughts regarding sexual assault." While the petition acknowledged the sculpture may not disturb everyone on campus, it insisted we share a “responsibility to pay attention to and attempt to answer the needs of all of our community members." Even after the artist explained that the figure was supposed to be sleepwalking, students continued to insist it be moved indoors.
I'd say it is you who does not get it.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Oberlin's fake campus hate crimes are a trigger for liberal stupidity.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Your husband sounds like a real pantywaist.

As a former police officer, and current firefighter/emt, it is appalling to me how few people can deal with real life. What would you people do in an actual do-or-die scenario if you can't handle a scene from a movie? For the love of god, toughen up.

You sound like a cop who abused the populace. And FWIW, cops have a lot of PTSD symptoms and many of them have alcohol and substance abuse problems due to seeing horrific things so I feel for them and many times can even overlook some of their behavior that may be related to experiencing horrible, traumatic events as I will in regards to your comments because I know that if you are being truthful, you are just desensitized to suffering due to your occupation and that is a mechanism that you needed to have to get your job done.

But the documentary my husband watched with me dealt with people being hacked to death with machetes and there was actual footage of the people being hacked to death. Most people would have issues viewing something like that if they have never witnessed such horrific violence. He doesn't have issues with movies as those are fake and not real, but this was actual footage of real people being hacked to death and murdered with machetes. It bothered me too, but I knew that those scenes were in it and prepared myself to deal with it. Hubby at times chides me about my nerdiness and love of Antiques Roadshow and documentaries as the primary source of my media viewing. During the mid 90s when the genocide took place in Rwanda, he was in college and not paying much attention to it but wanted to watch the documentary with me to learn a bit more about it and the violence and craziness was just too much for him to take. Especially since many of the children and other relatives of the victims were still alive and they were interviewed and spoke about their lives since those times. Some of the murderers were interviewed as well. It was a good documentary because it showed how easily people who are otherwise, decent people can turn into desensitized, murderous monsters.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Also wanted to point out to those who see this girl and society as "wimpy" veterans of all varieties have issues when coming home from battle fields. Even vets prior to Vietnam were in bad psychological states after viewing and experiencing such horrific things.

So this is not something new. It just had a different name like "shell shocked" which was used for WWI vets, many of whom never psychologically recovered from their experiences. WWI had a huge amount of casualties and injuries and these took a huge affect on the populace both here and in Europe. WWII vets also had issues that were usually referred to as "combat stress." These later were brought under the umbrella of PTSD and vets who suffer especially from it can easily be triggered by viewing or hearing certain things.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Oberlin College has published an official document on triggers, advising faculty members to "be aware of racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, ableism, and other issues of privilege and oppression," to remove triggering material when it doesn't "directly" contribute to learning goals and "strongly consider" developing a policy to make "triggering material" optional
ROFLMAO after reading this, I am reduced to a helpless blubbering blob. OP you really should have included a trigger warning on this. What is 'cisssexism' anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies