Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anything that can remotely make Obama look bad, MSNBC won't touch it.
Nor will ThinkProgress, Mother Jones, MediaMatters, etc. etc. Plus, they are preoccupied in their witch hunt against conservatives, tea party, Christians, GOP, and similar who they hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
MSNBC

Must
Say
Nasty things
Bout
Chris Cristie
That's their main focus these days, along with the occasional rant over alleged racism and a general sniping of republicans or Fox news. They can't cover actual news events since they don't have the paid staffing.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
GM knowingly used faulty ignition switches for years that led to nearly 100 deaths - and maybe more. I've seen the story covered by virtually every news source except MSNBC-TV. Why is this? Could it be that they are so supportive of automaker unions and the GM government bailout that they are loath to say anything critical about the company?

It's all over the news, but if you only watch MSNBC, you'd think that the only concerns of the country are the so-called injustices toward gays, blacks, women, Latinos - basically every group except straight white men.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....0.cF-l0iDVuts

100?. Your link said 13. Unfortunatley, every lawyer in the world will jump on a class action law suit and everybody who causes an accident will have an automatic reason for crashing whether they were driving drunk or on a their cell phone.

There is not a whole lot of difference in ignition switch design between all the manufacturer and most vehicle lines. At any given time at least one or more manufacturers have service bulletins and recalls for issues dealing with ignition switches. Most of this never makes it to press. The Toyota floor mat issue was the last one that recieved more press than it ever should have.

Faulty Ignition -Crashworthiness

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/honda...000/index.html

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...problem-88665/
"Summer 2002

Important Safety Recall: Ignition Switch

Dear Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey or Prelude Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd., has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1997 thru 2000 Honda automobiles. Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing."

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-02-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Thie issue brings some questions to my mind;
1. What makes this so very different from the FIRST time this problem was encountered, way back when the ignition switch was moved from the dash board to the steering column? The same problem was documented back then, a heavy key ring could turn the switch off! I don't remember any recall then.
2. Why could those drivers not control their vehicles without power steering and brakes?
3. There were, it has been said, 31 accidents reported. How many drivers had the exact same thing happen, but managed to control their vehicles, so no report was made?
4. Out of 1.62 MILLION vehicles, there were 31 accidents, resulting in 13 fatalities. It was reported that one of those fatalities was "Alcohol related".
That seems to be a VERY low failure rate! Are we, perhaps, over-reacting?
5. WHY was a safety item (air bags) connected in such a way that it would not work unless the ignition was on?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
If you do some simple searching you will find variarions of this issue have been around for a long time. I would pose a few more questions includin?

1) In how many the 31 accidents was the key turned into the off postion by the the first person on scene or the Fire department rescue crew?

2) I highly doubt there would be enough torque generated on the ignition switch by a key and FOB alone to turn it into the off position. Maybe the key ring and attachments were massive?

3) Did the force from the impact (Accident) jar the key/ignition switch into the off or Acc position

4) Out of 31 accidents their were 13 deaths. The accident to death ratio sounds fairly high?

5) Who is gathering the information? The Lawyers?
Attached Thumbnails
Why hasn't MSNBC covered the GM ignition switch scandal?-key.jpg  

Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Scandal"??

IIRC, this happened long ago, when ignition switches were first installed in the steering column. There was a warning promulgated to NOT use a large, heavy, key ring, because it could turn the ignition off and POSSIBLY lock the steering!
Back then, the loss pf power steering or brakes was not an issue, because many vehicles did not have them anyway, so people were used to driving without them. Shutting off the air bags was also not an issue, they had not been invented yet.
In at least ONE of the reported accidents, it was stated that alcohol was a factor. Also, think about this; out of 1.6 MILLION vehicles on the road, there have been fewer than 20 fatalities! Of those fatalities, more than 5% were driving drunk!
Statistics are wonderful things!
13 deaths in 13 years or something like that. That's not too bad when you consider how many deaths occur every year due to dog attacks. Let congress investigate dogs.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Nor will ThinkProgress, Mother Jones, MediaMatters, etc. etc. Plus, they are preoccupied in their witch hunt against conservatives, tea party, Christians, GOP, and similar who they hate.
How would it make Obama look bad seeing as this supposedly started way back 2002 ?????

Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How would it make Obama look bad seeing as this supposedly started way back 2002 ?????

Because Fox News said so.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Thie issue brings some questions to my mind;
1. What makes this so very different from the FIRST time this problem was encountered, way back when the ignition switch was moved from the dash board to the steering column? The same problem was documented back then, a heavy key ring could turn the switch off! I don't remember any recall then.
2. Why could those drivers not control their vehicles without power steering and brakes?
3. There were, it has been said, 31 accidents reported. How many drivers had the exact same thing happen, but managed to control their vehicles, so no report was made?
4. Out of 1.62 MILLION vehicles, there were 31 accidents, resulting in 13 fatalities. It was reported that one of those fatalities was "Alcohol related".
That seems to be a VERY low failure rate! Are we, perhaps, over-reacting?
5. WHY was a safety item (air bags) connected in such a way that it would not work unless the ignition was on?
A Car cutting off is different than a car that is off.

When your car cuts off unexpectedly, like say when your engine over heats, the senor in your cars says so, and you retain control.

When that sense doesnt do that, it is as if your car is turned completely off/in park with the engine off.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why hasn't MSNBC covered the GM ignition switch scandal?

Because Fox News tells you it hasn't been and you believed them.
Sweetie, I barely watch Fox News. I do watch MSNBC, however, but I watch it with a skeptical eye. When I posted this topic a month ago, MSNBC wasn't saying a word about GM. I guess they now feel they can't ignore it anymore. It's a fiasco, and GM needs to be severely punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I watched MSNBC today, Alex Wagner covered it on her show, you obviously don't watch MSNBC.
Actually, I do. I posted this topic a month ago. Learn how to read the date.

I can't believe how far some of you hyper-partisans (left and right) will go to defend your "team". Blind fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies