Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Northern California. A few, as in five of my old high school mates stayed in the area and never branched out. As a consequence I suppose, they ended up becoming habitual pot smokers. I run into them about once every 3-5 years and each time I do, they become progressively more lazy, unmotivated, and delusional. Two of these old friends of mine have completely fried their brains and are no longer able to hold a coherent conversation. But in all fairness, these two smoke pot all day, every day. They are gone to the point their own family disowns them.

Do I think pot should be illegal, probably not. I don't care either way really. But what irks the hellll out of me is people on here touting it like it's some great miracle super food. It's not, it's a drug, pure and simple and if abused, you will reap the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
they have a legal limit in Colorado and soon to come Washington state!!! get your lazy azz on Google and look it up you just want every body to do the work for ya and you call pot head lazy????
This is what your reduced to...........can't debate just have to call names and scream google. Typical pot head.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I grew up in Northern California. A few, as in five of my old high school mates stayed in the area and never branched out. As a consequence I suppose, they ended up becoming habitual pot smokers. I run into them about once every 3-5 years and each time I do, they become progressively more lazy, unmotivated, and delusional. Two of these old friends of mine have completely fried their brains and are no longer able to hold a coherent conversation. But in all fairness, these two smoke pot all day, every day. They are gone to the point their own family disowns them.

Do I think pot should be illegal, probably not. I don't care either way really. But what irks the hellll out of me is people on here touting it like it's some great miracle super food. It's not, it's a drug, pure and simple and if abused, you will reap the consequences.
Most of the guys I hung out with in hi skool ended up in jail...........due to drugs. Good guys but like you say the sheet took over.........if you use it too much. Just like anything else. Now this is an argument to get rid of mandatory sentencing laws too.......but right now the stuff is illegal in most places and the law will get you eventually...........unless you run chainsaws and skill saws and chop up stuff while high at work it appears........lol

Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

It is not a miracle super food. It's like a lot of other products which are bad if you abuse them. But not everyone who smokes is a lazy pothead just like not everyone who drinks alcohol is a lazy drunk. Some people have the self discipline to partake of pot and alcohol in a responsible manner.

People who smoke pot all day every day are no different from people who drink alcohol all day every day.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They are running scared now that pot is being readily accepted. They fear that their jobs are in danger so they make stupid statements like this one.
--------------------
...pressed by Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), Harrigan said that "every single parent out there" opposed marijuana legalization.

"Your statement that all parents are against this is ludicrous," said Cohen. "What do you think, that people who are in favor of decriminalization or changing policy don't procreate?"

DEA: "Every Single Parent" Opposes Pot Legalization. Except For All the Ones That Don't. - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Harrigan is an idiot. Lot's of parents smoke pot WITH their children just like lots of parents drink wine WITH their children.

Hmmm... I'm a parent. I smoke a bit of the sticky icky, and I certainly support legalization. That doesn't mean I would smoke with my kid, because he is a minor. Same with beer. When he is 18, or 21... perhaps. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It's funny, because back in the day if a parent gave their kid a sip of their alcoholic beverave, it wasn't a huge deal. Try it now, and someone catches wind, and you're liable to have child services called on you!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:

I think you meant to say "suffer the consequences", but I agree with your post.

When you smoke all day every day, there's NO WAY that's going to be good for you. As the saying goes, "in moderation".

Quote:
It is not a miracle super food. It's like a lot of other products which are bad if you abuse them. But not everyone who smokes is a lazy pothead just like not everyone who drinks alcohol is a lazy drunk. Some people have the self discipline to partake of pot and alcohol in a responsible manner.

People who smoke pot all day every day are no different from people who drink alcohol all day every day.
Sadly, I ran into a friend of mine last weekend who I have not seen since high school (about 317 years ago, it seems). He drank when we were in high school, and honestly, had a drinking problem before our senior year was up. Fast forward 317 years, and I doubt very seriously if he has missed a day of drinking. He's a functional alcoholic, but I doubt he's going to survive another 5-10 years, tops.

If you abuse anyting -- food, sugar, beer, liquor, pot, etc. -- the outcome will almost always be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hmmm... I'm a parent. I smoke a bit of the sticky icky, and I certainly support legalization. That doesn't mean I would smoke with my kid, because he is a minor. Same with beer. When he is 18, or 21... perhaps. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It's funny, because back in the day if a parent gave their kid a sip of their alcoholic beverave, it wasn't a huge deal. Try it now, and someone catches wind, and you're liable to have child services called on you!
Don't you HAVE to be a pot smoker to be a Browns fan? (says the smartass lifelong Steelers fan)

I'm a parent too, but don't smoke pot. But I do support legalization. I teach my kids that just because you CAN do something (drink alcohol, let's say), doesn't mean you SHOULD do that something.

I think the drinking laws create binge drinkers, as kids often go wild drinking when they are away at college for the first time. I let my kids "try" what I was drinking (the occasional vodka drink) from about 13 on. When they asked me what it tastes like, I would say, "It tastes like s**t, but you're more than welcome to try it." That stopped the questions for a few years, and eventually, they did try it. And they would say to me, "It DOES taste like s**t!!". But it made drinking a little less taboo for them, and when they went off to school, they didn't suffer some of the alcohol-related problems that college kids encounter.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

Don't you HAVE to be a pot smoker to be a Browns fan? (says the smartass lifelong Steelers fan)

I'm a parent too, but don't smoke pot. But I do support legalization. I teach my kids that just because you CAN do something (drink alcohol, let's say), doesn't mean you SHOULD do that something.

I think the drinking laws create binge drinkers, as kids often go wild drinking when they are away at college for the first time. I let my kids "try" what I was drinking (the occasional vodka drink) from about 13 on. When they asked me what it tastes like, I would say, "It tastes like s**t, but you're more than welcome to try it." That stopped the questions for a few years, and eventually, they did try it. And they would say to me, "It DOES taste like s**t!!". But it made drinking a little less taboo for them, and when they went off to school, they didn't suffer some of the alcohol-related problems that college kids encounter.

These days? Yes! LOL! It sure dulls the pain of constant losing (hopefully that is going to change soon). Not to mention I was born and raised in northeast Ohio, so of course there is that. And believe it or not the Browns have a pretty large following as well. But I digress. Alcohol and pot do have a stigma in this country. At any rate, if my son asked for a sip of beer, I would more than likely let him, as a sip IMO isn't going to hurt. I'd feel better that if he ever does drink at least he is 18, and is smart about it. I've partied quite a bit in my heyday, but I always just seemed to know my limits. Which is probably why I never experimented with any harder substances other than alcohol, and weed.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
These days? Yes! LOL! It sure dulls the pain of constant losing (hopefully that is going to change soon). Not to mention I was born and raised in northeast Ohio, so of course there is that. And believe it or not the Browns have a pretty large following as well. But I digress. Alcohol and pot do have a stigma in this country. At any rate, if my son asked for a sip of beer, I would more than likely let him, as a sip IMO isn't going to hurt. I'd feel better that if he ever does drink at least he is 18, and is smart about it. I've partied quite a bit in my heyday, but I always just seemed to know my limits. Which is probably why I never experimented with any harder substances other than alcohol, and weed.

Personally, I would enjoy watching the Browns win a Superbowl, though they did win their share of NFL Championships back in the Jim Brown days. I have a soft spot in my heart for Cleveland's sports teams.

I think the biggest problem with things like pot and alcohol is knowing your limits. That's a tough thing to learn, and sadly, some people never learn.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:44 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
. If you abuse anyting -- food, sugar, beer, liquor, pot, etc. -- the outcome will almost always be bad.
That is what it's all about. It's amazing how so many people confuse using with abusing.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:

According to govt patents, it has many medicinal usages. Not aware of the same patents for alcohol. Though the distinction of synthetic or organic "cannabinoids" doesn't seem clear to me from my read through. Seems to lean toward processing at the least.
U.S. Government owns the patent on cannabis cures...

(As a side note the other link I posted with this information had it's site taken down in a couple of days. Maybe coincidence, but odd nonetheless.)

Last edited by CDusr; 03-07-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies