Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You really don't know much about Texas. Here in Austin, we have some amazing restaurants. Two Austin restaurants made GQ magazine's list of the top 25 new restaurants of 2013, including #1 and #13.

The 25 Best New Restaurants in America - 2014

Austin is one of the top cities in the world for street food. And some of these food trucks have become stellar brick and mortar restaurants - like #1 in GQ's list.

Medium sized Fort Worth is exploding with great local eateries.
I stand corrected. I've only been to Austin for a day so I didn't get a chance to look around. I'll do that next time, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You shouldn't make up stories about something you know nothing about. I am willing to bet it is easier to open a new restaurant in Texas than New York - local or chain. Why would Texas' business friendly climate work only for chains?
Less about opening.. more about history. I was hinting at European immigrant heritage plays a big factor in family eateries of the Northeast / Great Lakes areas. Family eateries have been passed down.

Texas is going through a boom, so I would expect a lot of local shops to migrate there. Texas is historically poor and more Latino, so I wouldn't think as many Italian restaurants as New York or Chicago, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Not really. Aside from some Blue States having higher taxes and stupid gun laws, I don't feel like I'm being oppressed too much. And I live in California.

I also think people put too much into Blue State vs Red State stuff, there are way too many variables and every state has it's own set of challenges. It's also a bit inaccurate as you will find plenty of Conservatives in Blue States and plenty of liberals in Red States.
When you break it down by county/parish/borough the US is dominated by conservatives, geographically speaking. But since Democrats primarily congregate in cities, they have the advantage of density. Conservatives tend to be more spread out.

As you can see, there is not much different between between red and blue counties/parishes/boroughs between the 2000 and 2012 elections.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
No.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
The great state of New York

The only complaints I really have about New York is the mediocre emphasis they put on the Western part of the state. I have no issues of the laws, since sin taxes and gun laws don't really apply to me.

New York is a big state, what part or city?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?

The way I live my life is: It is not illegal until you get caught. That is the meaning of freedom, in the year 2014.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?
You should try living in Maryland then. You get to trade the VSP with cameras in many intersections.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Another interesting find is how many people are moving South and claiming it to be for taxes. Let's see how long Texas and Florida survive their increasing population without an income tax.
There are no free lunches, folks.
Why would increasing population necessitate an income tax? The more people you have, the more tax payers you have. The proportion of tax payers to necessary spending doesn't necessarily change just because the population went up. They're already the no. 2 and 3 most populous states.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I find difference in freedom between the states is much more about the population level than red or blue states. The states with a high population are very strict with lots of laws.
Yep.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
I live very close to a state border between a very red state and a very blue state. This thread is about personal freedom, so I will comment on that and not taxes.
Only one side can you drive and talk on your cell phone, only one side can you burn yard waste in your back yard, only one side you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet , the other side you cant even ride a bicycle as an adult without a helmet, Only one side can you have your baby in a car seat in front with the mother, the other side the baby must be in the back seat, Buy fireworks only on one side, rock concerts on one side have free range beer the other you have to be in a little fence beer garden, One side has very strict gun laws the other not so much... there are lots more. Just try and guess which state is red.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,981 times
Quote:
Compared to TN, or anywhere in the country except New England and some upper Midwestern states, where does NJ lag? NJ mops the floor with states like TN educationally. These people are more talented and more skilled from birth than us foolish and incompetent Tennesseans.

TN is the most violent state in the country. Throw out Camden and NJ would be a paradise compared to TN. TN is violent and hellish, poor to rich, east to west, top to bottom. TN is Detroit - with crime magnified statewide instead of locally.

Do you REALLY think we have clean air or water? Come live in Kingsport near Eastman Chemical Company. I'd guarantee NJ doesn't allow this kind of pollution. One day here will show your stupidity up very quickly.

People like myself from TN are far less skilled and intelligent than our counterparts from the blessed states in NJ, CT, NY, MA, etc. I never grew up with the privilege these children did. They had far more advantages than us screwed up Tennesseans ever will.

A New Englander has an advantage some screwed up son like myself can never eclipse. At my best, I will never be as deep or perceptive as an average New Englander.

You people are blessed beyond your wildest dreams.

You have some real, untreatable issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies